Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New restaurants Liffey Valley

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah would love a Wagamama in Liffey Valley too. It's always busy in Blanchardstown, so there is no reason at all why it would not do equally well in Liffey Valley. Same for Chopped. Socioeconomics in both are similar enough and on a higher level than the Square, Tallaght

We've been going to Prezzos quite a lot and we do like the food there. Can't complain about TGI Friday either - fast food pretty much, but the kids like it and they do a really good version of Buffalo wings (about the best you can get in Dublin)

So sometimes it sounds like we're all complaining a lot but LV has improved a good bit in the last year or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah would love a Wagamama in Liffey Valley too. It's always busy in Blanchardstown, so there is no reason at all why it would not do equally well in Liffey Valley. Same for Chopped. Socioeconomics in both are similar enough and on a higher level than the Square, Tallaght

I see a gastropub is opening in the new section of Liffey Valley so hopefully that will be good quality.
    Thunders is great though. Very good quality and the kids love going there.
    I guess Dundrum is an unfair barometer for most of the other shopping centres

EDIT: yep agree with your edit 100%!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I'd actually like to see a kay's kitchen in Liffey Valley

Each to their own and all that, but I had food in Kay's kitchen in Supervalu Lucan once. It was quite pricey and not particularly good. Any time I pass that place it is (near) empty. Maybe that's a bad apple in the chain, but I can't see it last long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Each to their own and all that, but I had food in Kay's kitchen in Supervalu Lucan once. It was quite pricey and not particularly good. Any time I pass that place it is (near) empty. Maybe that's a bad apple in the chain, but I can't see it last long...

I have only used the one in Blanch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I have only used the one in Blanch

Agree the one in a SuperValu Lucan is absolutely terrible. Went once brought my mum for lunch when we were shopping, food was so bad I decided not to have anything just a coffee. Mums fish and chips were very poor quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This post has been deleted.

There's a new chopped on the nangor Road oak Road junction here:

https://goo.gl/maps/rTeobhYz2rj

Not exactly liffey valley, but handy if you're in the area

For the healthy brewers :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Spur has gone out of business in Liffey valley, liquidation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It's gone a while I think - the unit has already been partially re let to Butler's Chocolates and the rest is being used for Santa's Grotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

wetherspoons would be on my wish list, could you imagine having a nice ale with your dinner? keep the dads happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The Hudson Rooms is the name of the bar that opened there recently. Haven't been in it but was open last Thursday now. Think Cosmo is the last place to open. They're advertising on the radio now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Had lunch in Cosmo on Friday. It's an all-you-can-eat international buffet, with Chinese, Indian, Japanese and Italian. Huge selection of dishes, but very average quality. Some of the dishes were quite tasty, but others were very poor. Several sections weren't open - not sure if that's the norm at lunchtime, or if they're just not open yet. Overall only ok and wouldn't rush back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Had lunch in Cosmo on Friday. It's an all-you-can-eat international buffet, with Chinese, Indian, Japanese and Italian. Huge selection of dishes, but very average quality. Some of the dishes were quite tasty, but others were very poor. Several sections weren't open - not sure if that's the norm at lunchtime, or if they're just not open yet. Overall only ok and wouldn't rush back.

I never knew Cosmo wad a chain as the only place I'd ever seen one was in Romford. Could Romford and Clondalkin have some weird exclusive connection?????

Anyway, yes it's bang average but you should see the queue outside the place every weekend here. I can only assume that people think it's a good deal as it's "all you can eat".

What was good and what was not good?

€9.99 for lunch is tempting and for the kids €4.99 and they can pick whatever they want :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

What was good and what was not good?

€9.99 for lunch is tempting and for the kids €4.99 and they can pick whatever they want :D

The good: shredded salt and chili chicken, mushroom stir fry, vegetable samosa
    The average: sweet & sour chicken, sushi
    The bad: aromatic duck, Thai curry, noodles

I thought the Indian selection was disappointing with no spicy options (no Madras, Jalfrezi). Also the Japanese section was empty apart from some sushi. Teppanyaki station was closed.

I tasted a couple of the desserts also, which were fine. It would be a great spot for kids what with all the choice. Will definitely bring my niece there over Xmas.

I thought the Indian selection was disappointing with no spicy options (no Madras, Jalfrezi). Also the Japanese section was empty apart from some sushi. Teppanyaki station was closed.

There's Madras on the menu. And from your other comments it looks like it seems to just be starting off a bit slow. I'd be more interested in most Japanese stuff and the spicier curries like yourself :D

I'll probably have a go myself soon and I'll report back here. We got some vouchers in the door the other day too, but they seem mainly to apply if you dine in groups of 3 or 4 adults at least. As in one free diner if you have 3 paying adults, etc.

Will try it over christmas at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭megaten

There's Madras on the menu. And from your other comments it looks like it seems to just be starting off a bit slow.

The lunch is a reduced selection, there's more on offer during the dinner hours though of course it's twice the price.

• Advertisement

megaten wrote: »
    The lunch is a reduced selection, there's more on offer during the dinner hours though of course it's twice the price.

To have such a selection there is two questions:

1) How to do they managed the quality of the food, over 100 dishes on the list
    2) Is some of the food a reheat or made fresh every day, if fresh, how are they making a profit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

well it's a chain so I don't think anyone should expect too much quality from them, particularly when they offer 'all you can eat'

But I've read a little bit about them and they're generally well received

Went to Cosmo today at lunchtime. Liffey Valley was packed, took me about 10 minutes to find a parking space (in the quieter end of the car park). That alone is very rare, so it was really busy

And yes, there were a good 8-10 people in Cosmo ahead of me (on my own). The friendly girl said it would be 20m waiting, maybe less. Was waiting for about 10 minutes then shown my table. A significant minority of the punters were Asian. I don't want to generalise, but as something positive to say, it usually can be a sign of decent food and good value

Food was not bad. I wouldn't have liked paying €19.99 for it but for €9.99 it sure was very good value. Not all sections are open for lunch as others said. Didn't try much of the Chinese food or any pizza / chips etc, but did sample most of the Indian food, sushi, some salad and some deserts

Most was about take away quality food. The Indian curries were pretty good, in particular the Lamb and the Chana curries, the Tandoori marinated chicken was tasty but a bit on the dry side. The naan was poor (I might have been unlucky, I saw naan made later that looked much better and they do have a Tandoor oven). The pilau rice was decent and the popadoms were excellent. Nice surprise they were!

Sushi was mediocre at best (only california rolls), the salads were very basic, didn't try much of the deserts, but the ice creams were reasonable. The few Chinese things I had were poor. Sweet and sour chicken was mighty chewy, spring roll was so flimsy it seemed to have no contents, chicken skewer was dry and the crispy aromatic duck pancakes aren't really edible without hoisin sauce ("sorry that sauce is finished")

Overall I was pleased, was starving and it filled me right up (and I can eat quite a bit :D). Would like to try the full menu for the full price too, but I reckon I will probably be back more often for the cheaper offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

Tried to get into Cosmo last week. It was a Tuesday night and the wait time in the queue was forty minutes. I thought we could just walk in and were told it was completely booked out for the rest of the week. Looking at reviews the food doesn't seem that wonderful. I imagine a lot of hype has built up around it and Eddie Rockets underneath is possibly benefiting from the overflow of people who don't want to queue or realise that you need to book.

Where Spur used to be is still vacant. I have heard the rent they are asking for the unit and it sounds excessive. What type of restaurant might work there now? What's missing from the shopping centre and the surrounding area that's not there already in terms of a franchise or restaurant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was in the Hudson Rooms on Tuesday. Asked what they had on draught, got a list of the usual read to me then was asked "Do you drink craft beer?". And got a list of different usuals + one actual craft beer (Wicklow Wolf).

Also seems to be a restaurant and not a pub, licence-wise.

Tried to get into Cosmo last week. It was a Tuesday night and the wait time in the queue was forty minutes. I thought we could just walk in and were told it was completely booked out for the rest of the week. Looking at reviews the food doesn't seem that wonderful. I imagine a lot of hype has built up around it and Eddie Rockets underneath is possibly benefiting from the overflow of people who don't want to queue or realise that you need to book.

Where Spur used to be is still vacant. I have heard the rent they are asking for the unit and it sounds excessive. What type of restaurant might work there now? What's missing from the shopping centre and the surrounding area that's not there already in terms of a franchise or restaurant?

A real good Indian retaurant like the one in Dundrum

I'd go there. And probably have regular takeaways too.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

5 guys burgers would be my guess on who will get the old Spur unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

Oh ****e, that would be the end of me waistline.

• Advertisement

Thats who i was going to guess but would they see it as an attractive location ?

Advertisement