Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New restaurants Liffey Valley

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

anewme wrote: »
    It's not aimed at a nice eating experience. It's basically fast food and a lot of takeaways.

The rent in the shopping centre is extremely prohibitive. Sitting in Liffey Valley food court is my idea of hell.

Chopped is a franchise.

Setting up in font hill makes sound business sense. The LONDIS and costa already has a large local office lunch time trade so they get more than enough footfall without the ridiculous overheads.

By a nice eating experience, I don't mean fine dining, just not a petrol station!

So far, they are in the following shopping centres: Pavilions Swords, Stephen's Green, Dundrum SC, Whitewater Newbridge and just across from Blanch SC. I doubt that Liffey Valley rents are that prohibitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

jomalone14 wrote: »
    By a nice eating experience, I don't mean fine dining, just not a petrol station!

So far, they are in the following shopping centres: Pavilions Swords, Stephen's Green, Dundrum SC, Whitewater Newbridge and just across from Blanch SC. I doubt that Liffey Valley rents are that prohibitive.

I've worked in the area for 9 years and know many of the franchisees so can vouch they are.

There is a seating area in LONDIS which would be similar to the food court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I've worked in the area for 9 years and know many of the franchisees so can vouch they are.

There is a seating area in LONDIS which would be similar to the food court.

Regardless of retail rent costs in Liffey Valley (Dundrum and Blanch more expensive per sq m), the positioning of that particular franchise in Londis is aimed primarily at the business park lunchtime trade. Subway have done very well there, the queue at lunchtime speaks for itself. However, the rents in Liffey Valley still didn't stop Subway opening there to capture the shopping footfall also ;)

jomalone14 wrote: »
    Regardless of retail rent costs in Liffey Valley (Dundrum and Blanch more expensive per sq m), the positioning of that particular franchise in Londis is aimed primarily at the business park lunchtime trade. Subway have done very well there, the queue at lunchtime speaks for itself. However, the rents in Liffey Valley still didn't stop Subway opening there to capture the shopping footfall also ;)

Londis subway is far busier than lv subway with less overheads

It's not dundrum or blanch though.

There is a huge audience in the Liffey valley retail parks, many of who, go through the londis as opposed to Liffey valley to Parking getting in and out etc.

Is clear the LONDIS subway does much better then the one in the centre.

There is a much larger Office crowd than shoppers in the area. Captive audience 5 days a week. The shopping demiograph of lv and dundrum would be widely different.

Plus Chopped is more aimed at Office people than shoppers or families.

If it made sense for to go to the centre, I am sure they would have, what I am saying from working there, it is clear from a business perspectivevwhy they have not.

I would not have thought the Maxol stop was that busy though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chopped are also advertising for a new place at the Maxol in Lucan. They must be doing very well to be opening places so close to each other. I never heard of them before this thread - must check them out.

They were very good but their standard has dropped lately. It's like subway, started well and then just went after the money without the quality

Londis subway is far busier than lv subway with less overheads

It's not dundrum or blanch though.

There is a huge audience in the Liffey valley retail parks, many of who, go through the londis as opposed to Liffey valley to Parking getting in and out etc.

Is clear the LONDIS subway does much better then the one in the centre.

There is a much larger Office crowd than shoppers in the area. Captive audience 5 days a week. The shopping demiograph of lv and dundrum would be widely different.

Plus Chopped is more aimed at Office people than shoppers or families.

If it made sense for to go to the centre, I am sure they would have, what I am saying from working there, it is clear from a business perspectivevwhy they have not.

I would not have thought the Maxol stop was that busy though?

In fairness your not comparing like with like here. Subway does well in Londis because there is not much options around that area. Subway in liffey valley has alot more competition.

So while subway has low standards, it will always do well if no competition, but in liffey valley it has competition and it struggles. The same way they are in the city centre, hence subway's are shutting down alot.

In fairness your not comparing like with like here. Subway does well in Londis because there is not much options around that area. Subway in liffey valley has alot more competition.

So while subway has low standards, it will always do well if no competition, but in liffey valley it has competition and it struggles. The same way they are in the city centre, hence subway's are shutting down alot.

But that's my point about putting Chopped in Liffey Valley vs. putting it in the retail park.

You are better putting it in the retail park, as you are getting the business, without the competition and way less overheads.

I work nearer to Liffey Valley than Londis and our ppl go to Subway @ Londis even though LV is nearer, as its easier to grab n go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tedpan wrote: »
    Huh? The best chicken wings in dublin and TGI in the same sentence.

Well, I take it all back. I had the Buffalo wings there twice last year and you have to take my word for it, they were excellent (9/10). Had them today and they were terrible. They used Frank's sauce alright but that was the only positive thing I could say about them :(

But that's my point about putting Chopped in Liffey Valley vs. putting it in the retail park.

You are better putting it in the retail park, as you are getting the business, without the competition and way less overheads.

I work nearer to Liffey Valley than Londis and our ppl go to Subway @ Londis even though LV is nearer, as its easier to grab n go.

+1

And the most compelling point is probably the peer pressure. Not many female workers would take out a McDonalds meal to bring it back to work to eat at their desk / in the canteen :pac:

Chopped on the other hand...

unkel wrote: »
    Well, I take it all back. I had the Buffalo wings there twice last year and you have to take my word for it, they were excellent (9/10). Had them today and they were terrible. They used Frank's sauce alright but that was the only positive thing I could say about them :(

In TGI's LV?

We went before Christmas once, and wont go again!!!

Anyone been to Hudson Rooms? Heard mixed reviews?

• Advertisement

Yes TGI LV. Haven't been to Hudson Rooms myself but several people told me it's decent.

Just got two caesar salads in chopped in fonthill. Worst ever and will not return. No flavour at all. Aldi version is better even.

Will report it to chopped main branch as was disgusting.

Just got two caesar salads in chopped in fonthill. Worst ever and will not return. No flavour at all. Aldi version is better even.

Will report it to chopped main branch as was disgusting.

They don't have the whole range either. Our people sent mad about it either. One persons was chopped so finely it was chopped to nothing....more expensive than other chopped outlets as well!

I think I've decided I don't like chopped...it's a marketing gimmick

They don't have the whole range either. Our people sent mad about it either. One persons was chopped so finely it was chopped to nothing....more expensive than other chopped outlets as well!

I think I've decided I don't like chopped...it's a marketing gimmick

No duck and orange salad. Two euros for extra bacon.

The one said the menu is same as town, Itsonga not though

No duck and orange salad. Two euros for extra bacon.

The one said the menu is same as town, Itsonga not though

Dont think there is pork either and no quinoa.....the menu is printed in white and they are usually green. I reckon it's a small version of the franchise rather than a full version.

It's definitely not the same as the one in park west

Dont think there is pork either and no quinoa.....the menu is printed in white and they are usually green. I reckon it's a small version of the franchise rather than a full version.

It's definitely not the same as the one in park west

Queue for subway was alot longer.

Subway always mad busy there!

I detest subway......I think the quality of ingredients are very poor, square cubes of processed chicken, rubber ham, I'm beginning the think the chopped ingredients are the same......just chopped up....

One colleague in chopped asked for pulled ham, to be told it had not been" shipped" in yet.

Tried the Hudson rooms express lunch today. Had a lovely ploughman sandwich for 6.95 and you could get soup for 3 euro with it. Liked it. Will go again.

Chopped open day today @ fonthill. Was free 11-1 and half price 1-6, mad queues.

• Advertisement

Tried the Hudson rooms express lunch today. Had a lovely ploughman sandwich for 6.95 and you could get soup for 3 euro with it. Liked it. Will go again.

Alot of people talking about the breakfast there, meant to be good

See chopped seems to be now going into Liffey Valley, where Subway was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

The subway in beside Pirates Cove is gone ?

Just back from the Hudson rooms. Good food and very good staff. Will be back.

Chips are amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yep also to Hudson Rooms. Saturday lunch last weekend. Was busy but they found us a table within minutes. Loved the grub. Service a bit patchy, but lovely staff, and we were in no hurry either so all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Five Guys and another as yet unnamed international restaurant brand to open in Liffey Valley according to today's Irish Times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/five-guys-eyes-new-restaurant-in-liffey-valley-1.3621023?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

ongarboy wrote: »
    Five Guys and another as yet unnamed international restaurant brand to open in Liffey Valley according to today's Irish Times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/five-guys-eyes-new-restaurant-in-liffey-valley-1.3621023?mode=amp

Will this be in the shopping centre or out beside the cinema? There's already an Eddies and a TGI Friday.

I know the stakehouse is gone from just inside, across from Boots and the other Eddies.

I don't know but I noticed Spurs Steakhouse had gone too on my recent visit so possibly that could be the Five Guys New location. I don't think I saw any vacant unit on outside that could be considered.

PS, is it not a bit silly having 2 Eddie Rockets less than 100 feet from each other. How does that make financial sense paying double rents like that?

I don't know but I noticed Spurs Steakhouse had gone too on my recent visit

Lucky man you're only being forced to visit Liffey Valley so rarely. Spur Steakhouse is gone years :pac:

I don't know but I noticed Spurs Steakhouse had gone too on my recent visit

Lucky man you're only being forced to visit Liffey Valley so rarely. Spur Steakhouse is gone years :pac:

Lol, sorry! What restaurant replaced Spurs that since went as well? I only go about once every 2 years so probably didn't even pass by that end on recent trips.

Lol, sorry! What restaurant replaced Spurs that since went as well? I only go about once every 2 years so probably didn't even pass by that end on recent trips.

Santa Grotto, seems to be a one hit wonder every season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Spur replaced itself as such, reopened after a decent length of time closed and then closed again. Its been the Santa thing, its been some pop up religious thing and some other uses since.

Both Eddies are jammed at busy times, better to have the customers even with the overheads of two kitchens etc than not have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Was up there this evening and Prezzo seems to be gone. Shame as it was great value, especially with the deals. But it never seemed to be busy, so not really surprised.

Prezzo is gone a few weeks now. It was always busy at the weekends and as busy as most other places during the week. Shame to see it go - one of our favourites :(

They've had awful trouble with the plumbing over the years, having to close down for the night or for several days at time. Which surely did not help the profitability at all. And maybe the deals were just a bit too good...

A new Italian looking / sounding place is opening in its premises soon, so the signs say (looking for staff)

Prezzo were in severe financial trouble and with so one branch in Ireland it would be obvious enough for the chop. Zizzi are meant to be opening there soon but I had heard it would be in the former Spur, not the Prezzo unit. They have other branches here which may help.

Any heavily UK based casual dining brand is going to have issues right now as dire consumer confidence and an economy that only seems OK due to creative reporting by the ONS combine to mean sales are through the floor.

L1011 wrote: »
    Prezzo were in severe financial trouble and with so one branch in Ireland it would be obvious enough for the chop. Zizzi are meant to be opening there soon but I had heard it would be in the former Spur, not the Prezzo unit. They have other branches here which may help.

Any heavily UK based casual dining brand is going to have issues right now as dire consumer confidence and an economy that only seems OK due to creative reporting by the ONS combine to mean sales are through the floor.

Also the stupid rents places are charging, its killing businesses. You will see some big shops going next year, M&S could be one

Also the stupid rents places are charging, its killing businesses. You will see some big shops going next year, M&S could be one

Think they'll muddle through - but I would absolutely not hold on to a retailer or group specific giftcard for any retailer, and especially a UK based retailer, for any time at all if given one at Christmas this year. Spend immediately; there will be a bloodbath in January. And don't even consider giving one as a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sizzlers

Prezzo didn't accept Tesco clubcard vouchers here either (but they can be used in the UK), while milano do. When feeding big tables of kids I would always use Tesco clubcard boosted vouchers.

Was the "kids eat for €1" deal (starter, main course, dessert and drink) that was on all the time still too expensive for you? :p

Milano should only ever be used with an offer of some kind - 33% off at least is usually facile to find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Milano should only ever be used with an offer of some kind - 33% off at least is usually facile to find

heading to liffey valley tomorrow. where to go currently ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 sizzlers

Was the "kids eat for €1" deal (starter, main course, dessert and drink) that was on all the time still too expensive for you? :p

:) I actually didn't even know they did an offer that cheap. Milano costs me nothing with the tesco ones! :p

http://www.milanooffers.ie/ for the person going today.

Thanks for the tip! I still have some Tesco vouchers. Must give that a go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Zizzi are meant to be opening there soon

I thought part of the job of 'morkeshing experts' was to ensure your business name didn't mean 'penis' in French.

Scrap the cap!

I thought part of the job of 'morkeshing experts' was to ensure your business name didn't mean 'penis' in French.

In Brexit Britain, where do you find someone who speaks French? :pac:

Haven't been over to Liffey Valley in months - any progress on those drive thru restaurants being proposed near the car dealerships? They had the area cordoned off and some advance works underway when I was last there late summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Haven't been over to Liffey Valley in months - any progress on those drive thru restaurants being proposed near the car dealerships? They had the area cordoned off and some advance works underway when I was last there late summer.

The frames of the buildings are now erected and I'd imagine the cladding will start going up in the next few weeks. Looks like they should be ready by the summer. It also looks like something else is being squeezed in between the Arc and the hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Heroditas wrote: »
    The frames of the buildings are now erected and I'd imagine the cladding will start going up in the next few weeks. Looks like they should be ready by the summer. It also looks like something else is being squeezed in between the Arc and the hotel.

That's the new gym

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    That's the new gym

Supposed to be opening before the end of this month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Jayzis it's an American Mall type set up now with all these "healthy eateries" that you can drive through.

I don't live too far away but I think I have been there three times in the last five years. But each to their own.

Would much rather a ramble through the CC and order online for anything else.

Maybe just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Jayzis it's an American Mall type set up now with all these "healthy eateries" that you can drive through.

I don't live too far away but I think I have been there three times in the last five years. But each to their own.

Would much rather a ramble through the CC and order online for anything else.

Maybe just me?

Healthy???! I assume you're taking the proverbial.

Advertisement