Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New restaurants Liffey Valley

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭anewme

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Is subway still there or is chopped going in its place?

Sorry did not ask when is it opening....yep subway still there right beside it, they've got rid of groceries and put seats there

Just stopped in, it's opened!!! Very disappointed, the menu is not the same as other chooped. No quinoa taboolleh, no pork, no duck, ....very restricted menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That is disappointing. Is that because the setup is very small / restricted? Did you ask what the story was?

unkel wrote: »
    That is disappointing. Is that because the setup is very small / restricted? Did you ask what the story was?

Maybe I am being overly picky in fairness, the others from the office did not notice in fairness........there just was not as big a selection as in the other chopped and the menu was printed in white instead of green. It is also more expensive
    than the other chopped I was in, Parkwest by about 50c per bowl.

It looked like to me that there are different sizes to the franchise, (EG Franchise A b or c) depending on space, footfall etc, or not sure if they are targeting the produce to the market area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not just any chicken wings, Buffalo NY wings (with Frank's hot sauce and real butter). They used to be good in Elephant & Castle - the first joint in Ireland that served Buffalo wings, but that was a long time ago.

If you can recommend anywhere in the Dublin area that has superb Buffalo wings, I'd gladly go try them out :)

Harbourmaster used do superb wings. Haven't had them there in a while though!

• Advertisement

Couple near enough to west Dublin.....tried Darbys Weston aerodrome for lunch and wings were nice!

Also wings Were decent in Cafe Noah Liffey valley food court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Chopped are also advertising for a new place at the Maxol in Lucan. They must be doing very well to be opening places so close to each other. I never heard of them before this thread - must check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Such a pity that Chopped seem to be choosing petrol stations/supermarkets in the Lucan/Liffey Valley area instead of locating a store up in the shopping centre.
    Sitting in a petrol station or supermarket squared off area having a Chopped salad isn't my idea of a nice eating experience!

jomalone14 wrote: »
    Such a pity that Chopped seem to be choosing petrol stations/supermarkets in the Lucan/Liffey Valley area instead of locating a store up in the shopping centre.
    Sitting in a petrol station or supermarket squared off area having a Chopped salad isn't my idea of a nice eating experience!

Unfortunately It's not aimed at a nice eating experience. It's basically fast food and a lot of takeaways.

The rent in the shopping centre is extremely prohibitive. Sitting in Liffey Valley food court is my idea of hell so they'd need them rent a unit to gain from the other fast foods

Chopped is a franchise.

Setting up in font hill makes sound business sense. The LONDIS and costa already has a large local office lunch time trade so they get more than enough footfall without the ridiculous overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Not just any chicken wings, Buffalo NY wings (with Frank's hot sauce and real butter). They used to be good in Elephant & Castle - the first joint in Ireland that served Buffalo wings, but that was a long time ago.

If you can recommend anywhere in the Dublin area that has superb Buffalo wings, I'd gladly go try them out :)

Douglas & Kaldi in Ashtown do fantastic Buffalo wings

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    It's not aimed at a nice eating experience. It's basically fast food and a lot of takeaways.

The rent in the shopping centre is extremely prohibitive. Sitting in Liffey Valley food court is my idea of hell.

Chopped is a franchise.

Setting up in font hill makes sound business sense. The LONDIS and costa already has a large local office lunch time trade so they get more than enough footfall without the ridiculous overheads.

By a nice eating experience, I don't mean fine dining, just not a petrol station!

So far, they are in the following shopping centres: Pavilions Swords, Stephen's Green, Dundrum SC, Whitewater Newbridge and just across from Blanch SC. I doubt that Liffey Valley rents are that prohibitive.

By a nice eating experience, I don't mean fine dining, just not a petrol station!

So far, they are in the following shopping centres: Pavilions Swords, Stephen's Green, Dundrum SC, Whitewater Newbridge and just across from Blanch SC. I doubt that Liffey Valley rents are that prohibitive.

I've worked in the area for 9 years and know many of the franchisees so can vouch they are.

There is a seating area in LONDIS which would be similar to the food court.

I've worked in the area for 9 years and know many of the franchisees so can vouch they are.

There is a seating area in LONDIS which would be similar to the food court.

Regardless of retail rent costs in Liffey Valley (Dundrum and Blanch more expensive per sq m), the positioning of that particular franchise in Londis is aimed primarily at the business park lunchtime trade. Subway have done very well there, the queue at lunchtime speaks for itself. However, the rents in Liffey Valley still didn't stop Subway opening there to capture the shopping footfall also ;)

Regardless of retail rent costs in Liffey Valley (Dundrum and Blanch more expensive per sq m), the positioning of that particular franchise in Londis is aimed primarily at the business park lunchtime trade. Subway have done very well there, the queue at lunchtime speaks for itself. However, the rents in Liffey Valley still didn't stop Subway opening there to capture the shopping footfall also ;)

Londis subway is far busier than lv subway with less overheads

It's not dundrum or blanch though.

There is a huge audience in the Liffey valley retail parks, many of who, go through the londis as opposed to Liffey valley to Parking getting in and out etc.

Is clear the LONDIS subway does much better then the one in the centre.

There is a much larger Office crowd than shoppers in the area. Captive audience 5 days a week. The shopping demiograph of lv and dundrum would be widely different.

Plus Chopped is more aimed at Office people than shoppers or families.

If it made sense for to go to the centre, I am sure they would have, what I am saying from working there, it is clear from a business perspectivevwhy they have not.

I would not have thought the Maxol stop was that busy though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chopped are also advertising for a new place at the Maxol in Lucan. They must be doing very well to be opening places so close to each other. I never heard of them before this thread - must check them out.

They were very good but their standard has dropped lately. It's like subway, started well and then just went after the money without the quality

Londis subway is far busier than lv subway with less overheads

It's not dundrum or blanch though.

There is a huge audience in the Liffey valley retail parks, many of who, go through the londis as opposed to Liffey valley to Parking getting in and out etc.

Is clear the LONDIS subway does much better then the one in the centre.

There is a much larger Office crowd than shoppers in the area. Captive audience 5 days a week. The shopping demiograph of lv and dundrum would be widely different.

Plus Chopped is more aimed at Office people than shoppers or families.

If it made sense for to go to the centre, I am sure they would have, what I am saying from working there, it is clear from a business perspectivevwhy they have not.

I would not have thought the Maxol stop was that busy though?

In fairness your not comparing like with like here. Subway does well in Londis because there is not much options around that area. Subway in liffey valley has alot more competition.

So while subway has low standards, it will always do well if no competition, but in liffey valley it has competition and it struggles. The same way they are in the city centre, hence subway's are shutting down alot.

In fairness your not comparing like with like here. Subway does well in Londis because there is not much options around that area. Subway in liffey valley has alot more competition.

So while subway has low standards, it will always do well if no competition, but in liffey valley it has competition and it struggles. The same way they are in the city centre, hence subway's are shutting down alot.

But that's my point about putting Chopped in Liffey Valley vs. putting it in the retail park.

You are better putting it in the retail park, as you are getting the business, without the competition and way less overheads.

I work nearer to Liffey Valley than Londis and our ppl go to Subway @ Londis even though LV is nearer, as its easier to grab n go.

tedpan wrote: »
    Huh? The best chicken wings in dublin and TGI in the same sentence.

Well, I take it all back. I had the Buffalo wings there twice last year and you have to take my word for it, they were excellent (9/10). Had them today and they were terrible. They used Frank's sauce alright but that was the only positive thing I could say about them :(

But that's my point about putting Chopped in Liffey Valley vs. putting it in the retail park.

You are better putting it in the retail park, as you are getting the business, without the competition and way less overheads.

I work nearer to Liffey Valley than Londis and our ppl go to Subway @ Londis even though LV is nearer, as its easier to grab n go.

+1

And the most compelling point is probably the peer pressure. Not many female workers would take out a McDonalds meal to bring it back to work to eat at their desk / in the canteen :pac:

Chopped on the other hand...

Well, I take it all back. I had the Buffalo wings there twice last year and you have to take my word for it, they were excellent (9/10). Had them today and they were terrible. They used Frank's sauce alright but that was the only positive thing I could say about them :(

In TGI's LV?

We went before Christmas once, and wont go again!!!

Anyone been to Hudson Rooms? Heard mixed reviews?

• Advertisement

Yes TGI LV. Haven't been to Hudson Rooms myself but several people told me it's decent.

Just got two caesar salads in chopped in fonthill. Worst ever and will not return. No flavour at all. Aldi version is better even.

Will report it to chopped main branch as was disgusting.

Just got two caesar salads in chopped in fonthill. Worst ever and will not return. No flavour at all. Aldi version is better even.

Will report it to chopped main branch as was disgusting.

They don't have the whole range either. Our people sent mad about it either. One persons was chopped so finely it was chopped to nothing....more expensive than other chopped outlets as well!

I think I've decided I don't like chopped...it's a marketing gimmick

They don't have the whole range either. Our people sent mad about it either. One persons was chopped so finely it was chopped to nothing....more expensive than other chopped outlets as well!

I think I've decided I don't like chopped...it's a marketing gimmick

No duck and orange salad. Two euros for extra bacon.

The one said the menu is same as town, Itsonga not though

No duck and orange salad. Two euros for extra bacon.

The one said the menu is same as town, Itsonga not though

Dont think there is pork either and no quinoa.....the menu is printed in white and they are usually green. I reckon it's a small version of the franchise rather than a full version.

It's definitely not the same as the one in park west

Dont think there is pork either and no quinoa.....the menu is printed in white and they are usually green. I reckon it's a small version of the franchise rather than a full version.

It's definitely not the same as the one in park west

Queue for subway was alot longer.

Subway always mad busy there!

I detest subway......I think the quality of ingredients are very poor, square cubes of processed chicken, rubber ham, I'm beginning the think the chopped ingredients are the same......just chopped up....

One colleague in chopped asked for pulled ham, to be told it had not been" shipped" in yet.

Tried the Hudson rooms express lunch today. Had a lovely ploughman sandwich for 6.95 and you could get soup for 3 euro with it. Liked it. Will go again.

Chopped open day today @ fonthill. Was free 11-1 and half price 1-6, mad queues.

• Advertisement

Tried the Hudson rooms express lunch today. Had a lovely ploughman sandwich for 6.95 and you could get soup for 3 euro with it. Liked it. Will go again.

Alot of people talking about the breakfast there, meant to be good

Advertisement