Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING - DANGER.

Options
  • 26-09-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hope I am in the appropriate forum. Bought - on Ebay and from China - a sink top electric instant water heater costing around 60euro - a cheapie. I'll go straight to the point - went well for about two years - came home the other night to find that , quite simply, it had blown up! Neck burst apart - plastic unit half melted and warped - sand all over the sink. Lucky me it did'nt leak and did'nt go on fire. What a fright cos I was out of the house at the time. Be careful out there - things arn't always what you expect. Michael Ronan ps Writing all in Chineese except for the letters GTW. Further details ref. ORDER DATE etc.
    Oct 18, 2013

ORDER TOTAL
    US $99.40
    See description
    Order 932263409013
    View similar items
    View seller's other items
    More actions
    1 item sold by "Unknown Market"
    Electric Water Heater Automatic Heating Gooseneck Kitchen Tap Faucet w/ Display
    Electric Water Heater Automatic Heating Gooseneck Kitchen Tap Faucet w/ Display
    ( 230952754439 )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bought - on Ebay and from China - a sink top electric instant water heater costing around 60euro - a cheapie

Not much point in reading further than the above. Buying a mains-powered device of any kind from China is pure madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Products that are considered of good manufacturers practice will be marked with CE.
    Stick to this and you'll generally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

coylemj wrote: »
    Not much point in reading further than the above. Buying a mains-powered device of any kind from China is pure madness.

Practically everything with a plug in any electrical retailer came from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

endacl wrote: »

Not directly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It worked well for 2 years which tells me there may be an underlying cause , other that the item itself .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

What way did you wire it up? As in what electricsl protection was advised for installation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Ebay, electric, China, cheap.

Sorry, but there are strict electrical regulations for a reason.

Bypassing them to save a few euro is just asking for trouble.

Thankfully it didn't do any major harm, but imagine a worse scenario and electrical fire caused by a "cheap" water heater.

Btw - i had an instant water heater installed in an office canteen recently. It cost €130 including installation by a registered installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Plus the water heater in our office toilet blew up as well..................It lasted about 8 years , and was bought in local hardware store .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Did the thread title make anyone else think of this?

Danger! High Voltage by Electric Six - video removed as it's possibly NSFW.

Also Sorry endacl! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Did the thread title make anyone else think of this?

No. But it's well lodged in my head now. Thanks for that.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Mr.Carter wrote: »
    Products that are considered of good manufacturers practice will be marked with CE.

pay and lobby hard enough, and the CE can appear anywhere. Dont overly rely on it/.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Mr.Carter wrote: »

CE-Marks_mod.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

newbie2 wrote: »
    CE-Marks_mod.jpg

Sneaky feckers have just changed the spacing. Wasn't immediately obviously to what the different was between the CE mark and the China mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "declares item was made in China" bit above is untrue.

And anyway, faking a CE mark properly isn't particularly hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

endacl wrote: »
    Not directly though.

+1 There is a world of difference buying direct from an eBay seller and from Harvey Norman, DID, Power City or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest this is why I never buy any electrial items on ebay. It is hard to know what is safe/fake meets EU standard etc.

Advertisement