Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Plus - AppleCare+ issues

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The 6 Plus and the 6s plus were the first two devices I bought sim free from them, and to be honest they are going to be the last.

For devices of such value I was hoping I'd be treated a little better, avid iphone user since the very first model....and a LOT of other apple products in the house too...

Someone from the Customer Relations team rang me at 8:05 this morning to say this case is being looked in to, and there might be a possibility that my device could be covered by the advanced replacement service, instead of having to drive to Belfast. Some of the people i was speaking to were a bit oblivious that Belfast isn't actually considered the Republic of Ireland. Hopefully this is the end of it.

I also double checked with him about AC+ for non cellular devices, and he assured me that the only devices that have AC+ issues that aren't in the country of original purchase are iPhones and iPads(with cellular).

I'm still having trouble getting the exact same answer out of two people, everyone has a slightly different answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I can't see you getting the advanced repalcement but Apple Store will be no problem replacing it once they have the US model in stock.

Your AC+ still covers you, just doesn't allow you to have a repalcement in Ireland.

My only issue with going to Belfast at the moment is, they can't order in the new device until they have the old device in hand, so it's 2 round trips to get it sorted....i'm still holding out hope that they can work out an advanced replacement somehow, the guy dealing with it is supposed to ring me back before the end of the day so we'll see what the outcome is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

eeloe wrote: »
    Update : after dealing with someone in the AC+ department for over an hour, they have agreed to refund 100% for the mis sold AC+. Customer Relations refused to take my call 3 times, after they read over the notes on the call, they also informed him to tell me that there would be absolutely no compensation for the situation, and if i want to take the matter further i should contact my solicitor, as that's the only way i'll ever get to have contact with someone in the CR team.

This whole situation is really shocking, and has really left me with the feeling of doubt, for a company which i had such high regard for. Telling me to contact a solicitor over an issue that was in no way my fault?

I understand you want your phone fixed (I would do the same as you and chase Apple), and if it is Apple Ireland you got AppleCare+ from, they should indeed have given you a warning that it would only be valid in the US. But you are not being fair saying "an issue that was in no way my fault".

Nowhere does Apple say that the iPhone warranty is international, and the AppleCare+ T&Cs actually clearly mention that "Apple may restrict hardware service and ADH coverage to the country where the Covered Device was originally purchased.".

You bought a US phone and asked to purchase a warranty extension valid in the in the country the phone was purchased (as per the T&Cs) ... and Apple sold you what you asked for. You are now asking them to do something they never legally committed to doing (and you actually didn't mention the AppleCare salesrep verbally committed to providing service in Ireland either - don't know whether they did?).

In short you are asking Apple to do something which was never part of any contract between you and them (phone purchase or AppleCare+), they are refusing to do it, and you are saying the issue has nothing to do with you.
    What it has to do with you s that you have been misunderstanding your contract.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    I understand you want your phone fixed (I would do the same as you and chase Apple), and if it is Apple Ireland you got AppleCare+ from, they should indeed have given you a warning that it would only be valid in the US. But you are not being fair saying "an issue that was in no way my fault".

Nowhere does Apple say that the iPhone warranty is international, and the AppleCare+ T&Cs actually clearly mention that "Apple may restrict hardware service and ADH coverage to the country where the Covered Device was originally purchased.".

You bought a US phone and asked to purchase a warranty extension in the US (as per the T&Cs) ... and Apple sold you what you asked for. You are now asking them to do something they never legally committed to doing (and maybe they did but you actually didn't mention the AppleCare salesrep verbally committed to providing service in Ireland either).

In short you are asking Apple to do something which was never part of any contract between you and them (phone purchase or AppleCare+) and you are saying the issue has nothing to do with you.
    What it has to do with you s that you have been misunderstanding your contract.

I was informed when i purchased the device that i would be able to get AC+ for the device when i got back to Ireland, which i did.

When i purchased it, a diagnostic was rang on the device remotely, which, if the device didn't match certain criteria, it would have come back with a fail. The issue is i shouldn't have been sold AC+ for a device that it wasn't eligable for, this has been agreed by Apple, it shouldn't have been sold, and it was a mistake on their behalf that it shouldn't have been sold to me. for which they gave me a full refund for, if i was at fault do you think they would be offering me a full refund? i think not.

I was informed when i purchased the device that i would be able to get AC+ for the device when i got back to Ireland, which i did.

When i purchased it, a diagnostic was rang on the device remotely, which, if the device didn't match certain criteria, it would have come back with a fail. The issue is i shouldn't have been sold AC+ for a device that it wasn't eligable for, this has been agreed by Apple, it shouldn't have been sold, and it was a mistake on their behalf that it shouldn't have been sold to me. for which they gave me a full refund for, if i was at fault do you think they would be offering me a full refund? i think not.

The diagnostic checks for any hardware failures and to test if the device is actually powering on before selling you the insurance. Your AC+ is still, valid you just can't make a claim in Ireland because we don't have an Apple Store. You can claim in the UK.

I was told by someone in customer relations, that the diagnostic also picks up purchase information, activation date and activation region, to determine the origin of the device, so when it was ran on my device, it should have come up with this, and the AC+ shouldn't have been sold.

Now in saying that, i'm only relaying the information that was given to me by Apple reps, so i could be wrong, and so could they...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

When i purchased it, a diagnostic was rang on the device remotely, which, if the device didn't match certain criteria, it would have come back with a fail.

And your AppleCare service was valid until you got a refund, but not in Ireland as per the terms and conditions. Apple never declined to provide you the service you purchased from them.
    The issue is i shouldn't have been sold AC+ for a device that it wasn't eligable for, this has been agreed by Apple, it shouldn't have been sold, and it was a mistake on their behalf that it shouldn't have been sold to me. for which they gave me a full refund for, if i was at fault do you think they would be offering me a full refund? i think not.

Yes we agree if this is an Ireland sales rep you talked to, they should have warned you that AppleCare+ would only be valid in the country the phone was purchased (or possibly refused to sell it to you). Which is why they refunded it to you.

But now that they have refunded you, how is it anyone's fault except yours that you cannot bring the device for service at a location where it is covered? This is where you are being biased in the way you are looking at the situation.

And for reference you are wrong in assuming Apple never refunds anything unless they are at fault. I have personally been proven the contrary on several occasions (for example they have refunded me the remaining balance of an Applecare warranty after my iPhone got stolen, or non-Apple out of warranty headphones purchased from the online Apple Store after I got an abnormal number of issues with them during and after the warranty period and the manufacture refused to keep covering them as the warranty was expired).

In any case hopefully they can sort this for you (I think they will), but keep in mind that if they do they will giving you a favour. So in my opinion your best strategy is to show some appreciation and not to keep blaming them (might depend on the person you talk to, but it has worked for me anyway).

• Advertisement

So finally got this sorted.

New European model 6 Plus is being delivered to me this week, and they are taking my US model back.

Took a lot longer to get sorted than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

miralize wrote: »

You can only add to bag with a new device. Call Apple if you already have the device and are within 60 days of purchase.

Advertisement