Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car park and Restaurant help.

Options
  • 26-09-2015 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi all, will be heading to Dublin soon for a day trip and heading back at night, and will also popping into Kildare Outlet and IKEA along the way. Not that familiar with Dublin in regards to good priced and convenient car parks in the city and also where's a nice place to eat, preferable to European style food, French, Italian etc. In regards to restaurants, I don't mind paying a little extra if it's worth it. If ye guys have any good advice on these matters, it'll be much appreciated! Thanks! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Trying to fit all of that into a day is a lot. I could easily spend half a day in Kildare Outlet or IKEA alone and that's not accounting for time driving or eating. Depending on what you want to do in the city centre too you might end up being very pushed for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bane

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Trying to fit all of that into a day is a lot. I could easily spend half a day in Kildare Outlet or IKEA alone and that's not accounting for time driving or eating. Depending on what you want to do in the city centre too you might end up being very pushed for time.
    Hmm, but traveling from Cork, so everything is on the way. Will probably try and get going early and fit as much in as possible. Then maybe make a return trip to one of the places at some stage in the future. But I'd say I'll be able to do Dublin City part pretty fast tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Bane wrote: »
    Hmm, but traveling from Cork, so everything is on the way. Will probably try and get going early and fit as much in as possible. Then maybe make a return trip to one of the places at some stage in the future. But I'd say I'll be able to do Dublin City part pretty fast tho.

Head straight to Dublin City, spend the day there, hit Kildare Village on the way back. **** IKEA off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I agree with cakerbaker - that's a lot for one day. IKEA alone is a few hours. Depends on the day too. If this day trip of yours is on a Saturday or Sunday, both Kildare outlet and ikea will be chock a block with cars & people.

I recently dined in Osterio Lucio (they have a website) and it was lovely. Parking is street parking, though the car park for the Bord Gais energy theatre is near enough. Street parking is free after 7 (or 6, depends on the street). Book the restaurant in advance if you want to be sure of seating. There's also HQ on Hanover quay near there. I had an amazing rib eye steak there the other evening.

If I were to try to get to the 3 places, would going to Kildare first, then IKEA and then Dublin city be the best route to take? I guess if I had to pick two places, it would be Dublin city and IKEA. So maybe hit Dublin first, then IKEA and if I have time do Kildare on the way back? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

What do you want to do in Dublin City?

On a weekday that would make most sense. Shops in the city centre are open late on a Thursday and some open late on a Friday so you'd have more time in the city centre those days. On a Saturday Kildare and ikea are open till about 8 I think so you could do one on the way up and one on the way home. I wouldn't recommend that during the week as you'd get stuck in rush hour traffic getting out of the city. L'Guileton is a lovely French restaurant on Fade St which is just off Georges St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Forget kildare village. not enough time.
    Be in ikea for 10am and get your 2 euro breakfast or whatever it is.
    Then park in st stephens green carpark for the day. parking is gonna cost you.
    Eat in TGIF or any of the loads of restaurants in stephens green area.
    Head for home after rush hour.
    Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

deandean wrote: »
    Forget kildare village. not enough time.
    Be in ikea for 10am and get your 2 euro breakfast or whatever it is.
    Then park in st stephens green carpark for the day. parking is gonna cost you.
    Eat in TGIF or any of the loads of restaurants in stephens green area.
    Head for home after rush hour.
    Enjoy.

Don't park in Stephen's Green. Most expensive car park in the city!

IKEA is open until 9 so park at red cow luas park and ride. Luas into city. Luas out then m50 to IKEA

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    On a weekday that would make most sense. Shops in the city centre are open late on a Thursday and some open late on a Friday so you'd have more time in the city centre those days. On a Saturday Kildare and ikea are open till about 8 I think so you could do one on the way up and one on the way home. I wouldn't recommend that during the week as you'd get stuck in rush hour traffic getting out of the city. L'Guileton is a lovely French restaurant on Fade St which is just off Georges St.

Have to agree about l'gueuleton - and that's near drury st car park. They have a really good flat evening rate. Use google sat nav to find the way to the entrance though - there's a mental one way system around there. Other restaurants near that are Dylan McGrath's 'rustic stone' and 'fade st social'. Great atmosphere in fade st social.
    Have you actually been to any ikea before? Because they're all quite similar. Even browsing involves a fair amount of walking, it's humungous - and if you haven't been there before you'll get a lot of little bits. The restaurant in ikea is really cheap for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

OP bit of topic but let us know how you got on and what was your opinion of the city etc etc if you don't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Kildare village is less than 2 hours from Cork - do it another day. 36 new stores open in November, so worth a full day if shopping is your thing.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Ok plan now is to head to IKEA first. Then head to the Red Cow car park and take the Luas into the and city for a walk around then eventually some grub in a restaurant. Then back out by Luas and drive back and had towards Kildare Village if there's time left. Sounds OK?

I've been to IKEA in Hong Kong. It's has numerous floors, but from the sounds of it, the one here is bigger.

As to what I want from the city? Just for a walk around and eventually some grub at the end.

That sounds doable and focusing on 2 rather than 3 should give enough time to relax and see a few bits without rushing. If you don't know Dublin Jervis or abbey st would be the best luas stops on that luas line. That'll bring you to the Henry St / O'Connell St part of the city but it's less than a 10 min walk to Temple Bar and Grafton St if that's the part of the city you're aiming for.

Cakerbaker wrote:
    That sounds doable and focusing on 2 rather than 3 should give enough time to relax and see a few bits without rushing. If you don't know Dublin Jervis or abbey st would be the best luas stops on that luas line. That'll bring you to the Henry St / O'Connell St part of the city but it's less than a 10 min walk to Temple Bar and Grafton St if that's the part of the city you're aiming for.

Thanks m8. I know Dublin pretty well, it's the missus that'll be walking around after. :) And also, I guess, it'll be the best place to find a good restaurant, rather than in IKEA or Kildare Village. Personally I don't have great interest in shopping, other than getting something to eat and also taking a quick look in Forbidden Planet. :)

As for IKEA, I'll hopefully pick up a few bits and bobs for the house.

Will let ye know how I got on and if I fitted Kildare in. Thanks all!

Oh yeah, I am having problems in locating the Red Cow Park + Ride in my GPS. I take it if I pointed my GPS for the Red Cow, I'll find the car park easily then?

?..having problems in locating the Red Cow Park + Ride in my GPS. I take it if I pointed my GPS for the Red Cow, I'll find the car park easily then?

I think probably not - the park & ride for the luas is on the newlands cross side of what was the red cow roundabout, the red cow inn itself is on the city side. If that makes sense. You say you're going to go to ikea first than drive to the red cow park & ride after? On the M50 just take the exit for the N7 and get over to the left lane as soon as you've gone through the interchange as the red cow park & ride entrance is just after it.

If you take the luas to the jervis stop there's a couple of nice restaurants in the Italian quarter just beside there like wallace's and bar italia. But if you want a lovely authentic restaurant that my Italian friends are particular about - try 'ciao bella Roma' on Parliament st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

On restaurant side, don't dismiss kildare village.

In the shopping centre is a dunne & crezinci restaurant and in kildare town (300 metres walk) is a good choice, particularly Hartes that was included in the 2016 Michelin guide.

Also the M7 traffic can be very slow from about 4.30 to 6.30 most evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

and also taking a quick look in Forbidden Planet. :)

If you're interested in Forbidden Planet then you should have a look in Sub City which is pretty close, on Dame Street:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Sub+City/@53.344298,-6.2652272,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x41638332836af9d7:0xc2637bb4fe7feb33

HivemindXX wrote: »
    If you're interested in Forbidden Planet then you should have a look in Sub City which is pretty close, on Dame Street:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Sub+City/@53.344298,-6.2652272,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x41638332836af9d7:0xc2637bb4fe7feb33

I think I've been there. Thanks.:)

Hopefully now I can find that Park n Ride nps. Also thanks for the recommendations in regards to restaurants. If there's anymore very good ones around the city area then please lemme know. No good Michelin restaurants around the city area? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Just another thing to consider although your plan is a good one, arnotts carpark is 5 euro for the first 3 hours if you buy something and keep the receipt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

There's a car park on Jervis st. to the left coming from the quays and it's 12 euro for the day. At least it was last time I parked there. Might be worth it conisdering luas fares x 2 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Yeah if you're going to ikea first it's nuts to be driving all the way to Newlands cross to go back into town. Take a look at that on a map!

Park in the car park at Whitehall church and take a bus into town. Parking free, only ten minutes max from ikea and you're on a well served route to town... Bus takes about 15 minutes into town from there and very frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Have you considered IKEA for the morning part, then drive over to Dundrum Shopping Centre for food/shopping, then home to Cork?

So it's not advised to go to IKEA first? I was thinking of leaving the city for last, so that come dinner time, they'll be plenty of restaurants around.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So it's not advised to go to IKEA first? I was thinking of leaving the city for last, so that come dinner time, they'll be plenty of restaurants around.

I'd be doing IKEA first, you'll avoid any morning traffic madness for the most part.

Then drive into town around lunchtime, and browse/shop, go for a nice dinner aiming to leave after seven.

jay-me wrote: »
    There's a car park on Jervis st. to the left coming from the quays and it's 12 euro for the day. At least it was last time I parked there. Might be worth it conisdering luas fares x 2 etc

That car park closes quite early a couple of the weekdays. Like as early as 8pm even.

Oh by the way - re Michelin star restaurant etc - the Italian place I mentioned earlier - osterio lucio - has a Michelin star chef
    https://thetaste.ie/wp/osteria-lucio-dublins-newest-ambassador-italian-taste-style-robert-jacob/

No, ikea first makes sense. Driving to the other side of the city just to backtrack doesn't. Go to ikea, Park for free in Whitehall and go into town from there. Or drive into the city centre and park there. It absolutely doesn't make sense to drive to ikea, only to drive back to the red cow to get into town when you had only been 15 minutes from town with ample free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Turtle_ wrote: »
    No, ikea first makes sense. Driving to the other side of the city just to backtrack doesn't. Go to ikea, Park for free in Whitehall and go into town from there. Or drive into the city centre and park there. It absolutely doesn't make sense to drive to ikea, only to drive back to the red cow to get into town when you had only been 15 minutes from town with ample free parking.

The flip side then is on the way home you'd have to head north to get your car and then you've a longer drive. It really makes no difference imo.

The flip side then is on the way home you'd have to head north to get your car and then you've a longer drive. It really makes no difference imo.

It does make a difference, you've a really short journey north to a car park right next to the start of the M1 at the end of the day when not eating into your time in town vs driving all the way back to Newlands cross, then spending ages on a luas in when you could have long since been in town in the middle of the day.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the help guys. OK, will head to IKEA then Whitehall Church for free parking, then bus to city. :) Now trying to find a good restaurant hopefully within waking distance in the city, unless it's really worth it. Anybody hear of Aqua restaurant in Howth?

Advertisement