Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free diving in Dublin

Options
  • 26-09-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Any recommendations for spots to free dive off Dublin/ Wicklow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Is that like snorkelling? If so, the rockier parts of the coast I guess: Forty Foot etc. Visibility in the Irish Sea though more variable than Atlantic due to more sediment and sh*t. I suppose we should be building more sewage treatment plants for places like Arklow but the citizens don't seem to be too keen on contributing towards the extra costs of treating their crap :)

http://www.water.ie/about-us/project-and-plans/projects/arklow-wwtp/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BarryD wrote: »
    I suppose we should be building more sewage treatment plants for places like Arklow but the citizens don't seem to be too keen on contributing towards the extra costs of treating their crap :)

Development levies were levied to provide essential local services.
    Arklow UDC had water charges until the Spring tide labour govt abolished them
    Arklow UDC pissed the cost of building a treatment plant away in a 20 year court battle to build a wwtp in Porters Rocks

The main rocky parts of the coast in Wicklow ( Wicklow head, Arklow head, Kilmichael Pt) all have strong currents and wouldn't be recomended for swimming

Don't know about Bray head, but Dalkey sound has pretty strong currents too.

On the northside of Dublin its pretty shallow on the beach side. If you had a boat you could go out to Lambay, I know scuba divers dive off it, but you can't land there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Ah yes Carawaystick, I lived in Wicklow when we had to pay local service charges. I was just pointing out the current situation, it's impact on the Irish Sea and what needs to be spent to fix it.

Advertisement