Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way NOT to download iOS 9?!

• 26-09-2015 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

For the last week or so my phone has been automatically trying to download the iOS9 installer. I do not want the upgrade, but it's taking up all of the remaining space on my phone and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop it or free up the space it's already clogging up. Does anyone know how to get rid of it and stop it from trying to self-download again?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Once installed you will be left with pretty much the same space as before. It just needs the space now to download, then it installs over your existing 8.whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wanderrr

Thanks for the reply, but it's not really about the space. The issue (well, the practical one) is that I'm on a 4S and running iOS9 will slow it down more than I want for no significant added value that I care about at the moment. It taking up all the memory is only an issue BECAUSE I don't want to install, but there seems to be no way not to pre-download. This didn't happen with previous versions of iOS, that I can recall.

The other issue, of course, is that it should be up to me to decide if and when I choose to take up the offer of the new OS, not for Apple to decide that I have to download it when they want...

Any other ideas would be appreciated! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Honestly, iOS9 is running grand on my mothers iPhone 4S. Theres no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Try this

Step 1: Go to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage.

Step 2: Select “iOS 8.0.1.” Because it is over 1GB, it is probably towards the top of your list.

Step 3: Tap Delete Update, and tap Delete Update again to confirm.

This was for an older update but the same probably applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

wanderrr wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, but it's not really about the space. The issue (well, the practical one) is that I'm on a 4S and running iOS9 will slow it down more than I want for no significant added value that I care about at the moment. It taking up all the memory is only an issue BECAUSE I don't want to install, but there seems to be no way not to pre-download. This didn't happen with previous versions of iOS, that I can recall.

The other issue, of course, is that it should be up to me to decide if and when I choose to take up the offer of the new OS, not for Apple to decide that I have to download it when they want...

Any other ideas would be appreciated! :(

How do you know that iOS 9 will slow down your 4s?

Also how is at taking up memory (By which I assume you mean disk space) if you haven't downloaded it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do you know that iOS 9 will slow down your 4s?

Also how is at taking up memory (By which I assume you mean disk space) if you haven't downloaded it?

Apple automatically download the iOS update file for you. It takes up storage space until you update, and the OP doesn't want to.

It's an issue that was raised before.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/18/california-man-sues-apple-ceo-tim-cook-over-automatic-ios-7-update

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wanderrr

Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of that. Doesn't seem to have had much of an effect though!

I think the only option at this stage is to carry on and finish the installation. Boo. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Zhane wrote: »

You need to use your mothers phone for a day, it completely kills the 4s speed wise, it's really slow using apps etc.
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/24/iphone-slow-ios-9-update-iphone-4s-iphone-5-iphone-5s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Since downloading ios9 my iPhone 6 has frozen 3 or 4 times, something that hasn't happened once in the previous 12 months. It's also has some nice hand warming functionality, handy for the winter months coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Zhane wrote: »

Same on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Ios9 slowed down my 5c. I tried to go undo it and failed. Caused a lot of glitching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

You need to use your mothers phone for a day, it completely kills the 4s speed wise, it's really slow using apps etc.
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/24/iphone-slow-ios-9-update-iphone-4s-iphone-5-iphone-5s

I have done. The 6 it is not, but its working just aswell as the day I had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ios 9 - dont download it, problems with messaging since I downloaded it and Apple cant fix it.

Advertisement