Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bunny masala

Options
  • 26-09-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

two bunnys,slow boil for 2 hours,strip from bone,shallow fry in wok with some oil til slightly brown,add masala sauce,one finely chopped onion,some salted peanuts for crunch if desired.cook in wok on med heat for 10 min,lay on a bed of rice,enjoy:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't you like the taste of rabbit that you hide it in a jar of Tika Massala?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Interesting recipe. I'd have been more inclined to brown the rabbit first, then simmer it for a couple of hours. For me, that would have been a better way to bring out the flavours.

I have to agree with TBR - curry wouldn't be a dish I would use rabbit in. The flavours of the meat would get lost in a premade sauce like that. That said, I could see likes of cumin & some of the other earthier spices going well with a freshly-shot rabbit.

(But the use of the word 'bunny' makes me think that this is more of a 'shock' recipe rather than a genuine attempt to showcase his culinary skills.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A korma or something could be nice with rabbit, but I do like it with white wine and grapes.

Remember to boil up the bones for stock too.

That reminds me, I have a couple of saddles in the freezer, must eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But the use of the word 'bunny'
    I thought it was misspelling a Indian word, like "Bunni Masala" being a region or something. We would wind up our mother calling pork pig, or beef cow, like "isn't this beef nice" -"yeah grand bit of cow".

Bunny is a whole new level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

to answer some of the above,yes i do like the taste of rabbit on its own,i also like pork,beef,lamb,and chicken,does anyone who use these meats in curry's not like the taste of these meats on their own?bunny is how i and many more refer to rabbit,you either like the term or not,im not really bothered,my next venture will be bunny stew,stay tuned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

sniperman wrote: »
    to answer some of the above,yes i do like the taste of rabbit on its own,i also like pork,beef,lamb,and chicken,does anyone who use these meats in curry's not like the taste of these meats on their own?bunny is how i and many more refer to rabbit,you either like the term or not,im not really bothered,my next venture will be bunny stew,stay tuned

But if you're going to go to all the effort of getting the bunnies and slow boiling them etc, would you not make the effort of also making a proper sauce for them?

I actually don't get the point of starting a thread in a cooking forum, just to show that you've managed to mix meat into a Dunnes pre-made masala sauce. :confused: If you'd some cool recipe for masala with rabbit meat, maybe I'd be interested!

bunny is how i and many more refer to rabbit
    I have never heard of rabbit meat or dishes called bunny. Of course I have heard it called bunny rabbits to kids, but It'd be like saying moo cow stew!

bunny stew get this for a hit.

1374340915373.jpg

Bunny Masala sounds like an Bond Girl from Indian! "well Bunny, you are a schh-picy one"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Don't you like the taste of rabbit that you hide it in a jar of Tika Massala?

Well, why masala up any meat then? I wouldn't use a premade sauce though.

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought it was misspelling a Indian word, like "Bunni Masala" being a region or something. We would wind up our mother calling pork pig, or beef cow, like "isn't this beef nice" -"yeah grand bit of cow".

Bunny is a whole new level!

Whenever a sheep or lamb would stray in front of the car when I was young, my dad would be like "Look at that lovely bag of chops there, yum". No disconnect between farm and fork in our house! :D
    to answer some of the above,yes i do like the taste of rabbit on its own,i also like pork,beef,lamb,and chicken,does anyone who use these meats in curry's not like the taste of these meats on their own?

Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Guys,

Pretty harsh on the OP to be honest. I'm not a fan of pre-made sauces either but each to their own. A bit of encouragement maybe, rather that criticism would be a lot better.

• Advertisement

Makood wrote: »
    Guys,

Pretty harsh on the OP to be honest. I'm not a fan of pre-made sauces either but each to their own. A bit of encouragement maybe, rather that criticism would be a lot better.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Fatal attraction anyone?

But if you're going to go to all the effort of getting the bunnies and slow boiling them etc, would you not make the effort of also making a proper sauce for them?

I actually don't get the point of starting a thread in a cooking forum, just to show that you've managed to mix meat into a Dunnes pre-made masala sauce. :confused: If you'd some cool recipe for masala with rabbit meat, maybe I'd be interested!

the reason i posted the recipe here in the first place was,i was asked by a member on the shooting/hunting forum.check it out if you like.and as i am no jamie oliver,i cannot make sauce from scratch,so ill use the next best thing like millions of others,ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Guys,

This is going to sound sound very like listening to your teacher in second class telling you to play nice but sometimes stuff can read very mean spirited written down when it probably sounded ok in your head. Especially if directed at, essentially, a forum newbie (*waves at sniperman*). So no need to jump on someone with a wave of 'yuck' and 'why did you bother' just because something isn't to your personal taste. We like new people, especially if they seem to have a hotline to bunnies for our pot.

And if you have a problem with a post please report it and we'll (mods) deal with it, otherwise you're robbing me of my platform to pontificate from and I bought half moon glasses to look over SPECIALLY for my pontificating.

Thanking you.

rabbit-glasses.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm not a great cook myself but have recently started making my own sauces. I'd highly recommend trying. Especially when you're going to do much trouble to source your own meat. Which is nice to see.

My dads favourite way to have rabbit is pan fried in butter with a bit of fresh garlic. He's not much of a cook, scoffs at fresh herbs lol, but this he makes the effort for.

Oh and I grew up in a hunting home, never ever heard anyone call it a bunny unless talking to a kid lol. I'd imagine they'd be laughed at and called Unkind names :p

Edit: laughing at the irony of me teasing over use of the word bunny instead of rabbit then referring to a child as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Love the idea of bunny masala! A great stepping stone for anyone wanting to make the jump from shop bought sauces would be Patak's spice pastes:

http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/product_search.aspx?tID=fc4a6845-32e2-490c-b892-05c4e28d60c2&hID=&keyW=

They basically contain all the spices you need, and you just add tomatoes (and cream in the case of tikka masala) to make your own sauce. They taste very good and are almost as easy as using a pre-made sauce. :)

Love the idea of bunny masala! A great stepping stone for anyone wanting to make the jump from shop bought sauces would be Patak's spice pastes:

http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/product_search.aspx?tID=fc4a6845-32e2-490c-b892-05c4e28d60c2&hID=&keyW=

They basically contain all the spices you need, and you just add tomatoes (and cream in the case of tikka masala) to make your own sauce. They taste very good and are almost as easy as using a pre-made sauce. :)

thanks for that,will certaily try that pataks,sounds good;)

A great stepping stone for anyone wanting to make the jump from shop bought sauces would be Patak's spice pastes
    +1, and thing is, sniperman is already stepping it up a bit, as he was putting onions & nuts into the ready made sauce. I think this is a safer way to start out if you find the whole thing daunting. You can slowly build up a cupboard of spices.

The pataks range goes on sale in tesco every few months.

In fact the tikka masla one is on sale right now for 1.50
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=272689494
    SAVE 1.09 Was 2.59 Now 1.50 valid from 23/9/2015 until 20/10/2015
    Usage

This product must be cooked.

Chicken Tikka Masala Serves 4

1. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pan and add 1 medium diced onion, fry until soft.

2. Add 1 tsp finely chopped ginger, 1 tsp finely chopped garlic and the full jar of Patak's paste, cook for 1-2 minutes. Add 50ml of water, cook until the water has evaporated.

3. Add 500g diced chicken, cook until sealed. Add 200g chopped tomatoes and 150ml water, simmer uncovered until the chicken is cooked (approx. 15 minutes).

4. Add 150ml double cream and 1 tsp sugar, cook for 4 minutes, season to taste, garnish with fresh chopped coriander and serve with rice and naan.

Number of uses (Servings): 4

its the only one on offer which is odd, usually it is either most of the pastes, and/or most of the larger sauces. Most people rate the pastes as better than the larger sauce jars. Might get a few myself, as its concentrated it does not take up as much room in the cupboard. I prechill mine before opening and stick it back in the fridge.

Dry spices are cheaper to get in asian supermarkets, though my tesco now has east end spices which are usually only found in asian supermarkets, and they are the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Does anyone remember the mouth-watering scene in Lord of the Rings, where Sam persuades Gollum to kill "A couple of coneys" and stews them slowly with whatever flavourings he can find in his pack? A decent hot dinner for his master...aawww.

First time I tasted rabbit was in France as a teenager, many a long year ago. The bonne femme jointed it, browned the pieces, and stewed it with sherry and raisins. Was excellent, aromatic, rich, a little gamey but tender. I've tried to replicate the recipe from memory, many times, but it's never quite right.

In my home, growing up, my parents wouldn't touch rabbit. Not to this day.

Typical comments (with grimace) - "War food"
    -"We had to eat that in the war, there was rationing"

I've always thought it was interesting that they could not really allow themselves to actually taste the meat of the rabbit or appreciate its authentic flavour: the associations of poverty, scarcity, and hardship were too strong.

Of course, "coney" must be cognate with the Irish word "coinín".

Not sure what the origins are of the words "rabbit" or "bunny". Strange that this animal has so many names.
    They were introduced to Ireland by the Normans, as food animals: the warrens were the method of "farming" and there were staff "Warreners" to maintain and manage the stock.

Of course, once a few of the rabbits/bunnies/coneys escaped and began to do what rabbits are famous for...the rest is history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

OP, if you want to try something new, Nigella has a recipe for Hot Cross Bunny. I'd probably stick to chicken myself though. Only came across rabbit once, and i was too much of a baby try it.

Edit: Jesus, i removed the link. Just google it. The food blog i got has got words that aren't safe for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

katemarch wrote: »

In my home, growing up, my parents wouldn't touch rabbit. Not to this day.

Typical comments (with grimace) - "War food"
    -"We had to eat that in the war, there was rationing"

I've always thought it was interesting that they could not really allow themselves to actually taste the meat of the rabbit or appreciate its authentic flavour: the associations of poverty, scarcity, and hardship were too strong.

My mother always refused to eat rabbit because of myxomatosis.
    My father would get one on occasion and I was the only one in the family who'd eat it - and I was the fussy eater as a child.

I love wild rabbit but it does take quite a bit of cooking to get it tender (apart from the saddles which I like to take off like fillets and quickly pan fry).

Stewed with beer and mustard is my favourite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

katemarch wrote: »
    Of course, "coney" must be cognate with the Irish word "coinín".
    The name for rabbit in most languages is something very similar to that ... konijn, Kaninchen, conejo, kanin etc. so Irish isn't unique in that regard. The Latin for rabbit is cuniculus, so it's clear where the names came from originally.
    Not sure what the origins are of the words "rabbit" or "bunny".
    Not sure on either of those either.
    They were introduced to Ireland by the Normans, as food animals: the warrens were the method of "farming" and there were staff "Warreners" to maintain and manage the stock.
    In England too, where you can still find traces of warrens. Dartmoor in the south west has a number of them ...

http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/rabb_warr.htm

Stewed with beer and mustard is my favourite way.

I'd love to try this for my dad, can you post a quick recipe please.

We always had our rabbit stewed or casseroled as a young 'un. Suppose it made it nice and tender. I always enjoyed it though I think the mammykins could have added a bit of cut up rashers to it to bring out more flavour. My uncle hunts so we had it fairly regularly, as well as wild duck and, I'm told, wild pigeon but I don't remember eating that. I think it was when I was very young.

My friend only eats chicken when it comes to meat. Her bro-in-law goes hunting and gave her husband some rabbits he had caught. He put them into a stew and never told her it wasn't chicken. I wouldn't have said rabbit tastes like chicken but apparently she never knew the difference!

It doesn't even look like chicken?! Ha

I don't eat meat at all and when arriving to visit my parents I can tell immediately if he's cooking game. It's very distinctive. Anyone know why? I can't distinguish between duck/rabbit/deer mind you!

Whispered wrote: »
    It doesn't even look like chicken?! Ha

I think it's because it's quite a pale meat so once off the bone and put into a stew it doesn't look too different from chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

One of my earliest memories is being with Grandpa Billy shooting rabbits at some ungodly hour of a morning on Inishbofin. Happy days!

If making a stew, I'll joint the rabbit, coat in seasoned flour & brown in butter with fatty bacon lardons. Then remove the rabbit, sweat whatever veg I am using, chuck the meat back in with stock/beer/cider/wine & herbs & simmer away.

Tis true, a bit of bacon does wonders for a rabbit. Though it can go a slightly odd pinkish colour.

But makes for an excellent gravy, with a few mushrooms and turnips in with it to make a real gypsy brew.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

One of my earliest memories is being with Grandpa Billy shooting rabbits at some ungodly hour of a morning on Inishbofin. Happy days!

If making a stew, I'll joint the rabbit, coat in seasoned flour & brown in butter with fatty bacon lardons. Then remove the rabbit sweat whatever veg I am using, chuck the meat back in with stock/beer/cider/wine & herbs & simmer away.

I thought you meant that literally! :rolleyes: :D

Advertisement