Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bunny masala

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I love wild rabbit but it does take quite a bit of cooking to get it tender (apart from the saddles which I like to take off like fillets and quickly pan fry).

Stewed with beer and mustard is my favourite way.

I've always eaten rabbit but have only cooked it once, thanks to your guidance, although I did replace beer for cider as I'm not a fan of beer-tasting food. It was delicious indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It is one of the tastiest and healthiest meats. And if wild, can be guaranteed organic and lean. But can be very hard to find in Dublin.
    There's a couple of places round Dun Laoghaire where you can get it but you might have to pick out the shotgun pellets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

katemarch wrote: »
    It is one of the tastiest and healthiest meats.

Don't know about healthiest. It's very lean, and I subscribe to the idea that a lot of fat in meat is a good, healthy, unfairly-maligned thing. :pac:

@Tarzana, agreed.

"Tasty and healthy" is one phrase, "organic and lean" another. All are likely to apply to wild rabbit, but none necessarily implies any of the others!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've always thought it was interesting that they could not really allow themselves to actually taste the meat of the rabbit or appreciate its authentic flavour: the associations of poverty, scarcity, and hardship were too strong.

I know some country folk that feel similarly about any kind of fish or shellfish. It's just been drummed into them for decades that it was eaten for penance or punishment. So they think I'm bonkers when I order fish in a restaurant or opt for it at a wedding - like why do I bother getting dolled up and going out just to eat fish?? :pac:

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    like why do I bother getting dolled up and going out just to eat fish?? :pac:

I get like that when people order pasta in a fancy restaurant. Why would you bother, like? :pac: But I really dislike pasta so can't get past that.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I get like when people order pasta in a fancy restaurant. Why would you bother, like? :pac: But I really dislike pasta so can't get past that.

I agree in a way. I like to eat stuff in a restaurant that I'd never usually go to the bother of cooking, or stuff that isn't usually on sale within my grocery budget. I cook pasta all the time so wouldn't normally be something that catches my eye in a restaurant.

I agree in a way. I like to eat stuff in a restaurant that I'd never usually go to the bother of cooking, or stuff that isn't usually on sale within my grocery budget. I cook pasta all the time so wouldn't normally be something that catches my eye in a restaurant.

Yeah, it just seems a waste. Though not if someone is having pasta with crab or lobster or something.

Pasta with Crabbit. The ultimate why-bother? dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What's crabbit?

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    What's crabbit?

A fictional hybrid of Crab and Rabbit. (On pasta!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Crabbasta!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of these then ...

http://www.artflakes.com/en/products/a-crabbit-crab-slash-rabbit-hybrid

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My mum refuses to have pasta in a restaurant because 'Sure you can get a kilo of Roma spaghetti for a pound in Tesco'.

Advertisement