Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

700cc as a first time bike?

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I used a cruiser in America earlier this year and I can see why. I'd own one if I lived there.

Straight roads everywhere and no filtering outside California.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Each to their own. I like the look of them. Some of us are not speed freaks and want to wear ninja leather suits, showing off our scraped knee sliders.

Yeah, leather gimp suits and knee pads wouldnt be my thing either! :)

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

sombaht wrote: »
    Yeah, leather gimp suits and knee pads wouldnt be my thing either! :)

Cheers,
    sombaht

Sorry, "jump" not "gimp" :P

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

If you want to be a boring old fart while still being socially accepted into the world of "biking" then pick yourself up a Bandit, Hornet or Fazer. There cheap, quick off the mark, good on juice, allow for lots of add-ons and don't look half bad if you look after it. You'll be the talk of the town ... for about 5 minutes ... until everybody realises how common they are and moves onto something else.

Otherwise Id suggesting picking your cruiser, sticking on the gimp suit :P , getting it on the road and driving it to your hearts content. Do what the majority of bikers do and get the style of bike that you want .. Also be prepared for a small portion of the biking community to show high levels of animosity/digust towards you no particular reason (if your riding a cruiser).

I actually have a lot of love for Bandits, Hornets and Fazers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Jobbers don't generate much heat.

True. So you're neither really. Just a poor attempt at a troll.

OP, go for whichever bike takes your fancy and suits your needs best. Only one person is gonna be driving it and has to enjoy it, and that's you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Virago is fine for a first bike - the 750 is slower than the RS125 I started on. If you are into that style of bike go for it

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    If you want to be a boring old fart while still being socially accepted into the world of "biking" then pick yourself up a Bandit, Hornet or Fazer. There cheap, quick off the mark, good on juice, allow for lots of add-ons and don't look half bad if you look after it. You'll be the talk of the town ... for about 5 minutes ... until everybody realises how common they are and moves onto something else.

Otherwise Id suggesting picking your cruiser, sticking on the gimp suit :P , getting it on the road and driving it to your hearts content. Do what the majority of bikers do and get the style of bike that you want .. Also be prepared for a small portion of the biking community to show high levels of animosity/digust towards you no particular reason (if your riding a cruiser).

I actually have a lot of love for Bandits, Hornets and Fazers.

If you have a bike to look cool then you're a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Do yourself a favour and get a naked bike like a Fazer, Bandit or Hornet.

Cruisers are for people who like leather vests and assless chaps.
    All show and no go.

I think some cruisers look nice, but I can't make myself like an engineering design that's compromised for the sake of aesthetics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I think some cruisers look nice, but I can't make myself like an engineering design that's compromised for the sake of aesthetics.

have you ridden a cruiser? the long rake means they are soo relaxing to ride
    there are no bad bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...well unless someone else is paying for your bike, then buy what YOU want, what YOU like.

And as for cruisers......it's a style, not an expression of its capabilities. I just did 826kms on the WAW - with a pillion, and luggage - in 2.5 days in the company of GS'S, LC8 Adventure, Explorer 1200, Z1000, FJR1300, VFR .....and I held up no--one, and more than once led. On a Harley.

If you think a cruiser makes you a poser, or knob, well maybe ill put it to you that you'd be a knob no matter what you buy. Don't blame the bike...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Tigger wrote: »
    there are no bad bikes

^^^^ this

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Every bike is a compromise - the perfect one hasn't been built yet. It'll be bloody boring when they do...

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The point is, you don't have to like it. The OP is the only one who does.
    And starting off with something like
    Cruisers are for people who like leather vests and assless chaps.

is not exactly going to have your opinion held in high esteem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

My 1700 V-Twin handles very well & pulls like a freight train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I'm going to agree yet disagree with most of the posters. Agree...do buy a cruiser. If you like the style and you feel comfortable then you go for it. You'll always get people telling you that their bike or style of bike is the best. Then when you buy their recomendation, they'll tell you that you bought the wrong colour, that the black one is actually better than the red one etc. Once you're happy, tell everyone else to f*$* off.
    My disagreement is, not the 700 Virago. I had one and although it's not a bad bike, it's not a great one either. I've ridden a mates 600 Dragstar and also a 750 Shadow and they are both better by far, still cruisers, just better bikes.

I'm going to agree yet disagree with most of the posters. Agree...do buy a cruiser. If you like the style and you feel comfortable then you go for it. You'll always get people telling you that their bike or style of bike is the best. Then when you buy their recomendation, they'll tell you that you bought the wrong colour, that the black one is actually better than the red one etc. Once you're happy, tell everyone else to f*$* off.
    My disagreement is, not the 700 Virago. I had one and although it's not a bad bike, it's not a great one either. I've ridden a mates 600 Dragstar and also a 750 Shadow and they are both better by far, still cruisers, just better bikes.

...I've no experience of the Dragstar or Virago directly, but I did rent a 750 Shadow for a riding course and coming off my 1450 H-D I was very impressed with it - I found it a v. nice bike.

Btw, in case anyone thinks I'm sort of Sons of Anarchy H-D head, mine is parked beside my RGV, Vespa PX, Aprilia, an SV650 and some trail bikes. I like it because it's good at what it is designed for. Ditto the others.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

sombaht wrote: »
    Sorry, "jump" not "gimp" :P

Cheers,
    sombaht

Either is fine!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...well unless someone else is paying for your bike, then buy what YOU want, what YOU like.

And as for cruisers......it's a style, not an expression of its capabilities. I just did 826kms on the WAW - with a pillion, and luggage - in 2.5 days in the company of GS'S, LC8 Adventure, Explorer 1200, Z1000, FJR1300, VFR .....and I held up no--one, and more than once led. On a Harley.

If you think a cruiser makes you a poser, or knob, well maybe ill put it to you that you'd be a knob no matter what you buy. Don't blame the bike...

Is it true about the reason why guys on Harley's don't wave?

Because they are afraid to take their hand off the handlebars!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

galwaytt wrote: »
    Btw, in case anyone thinks I'm sort of Sons of Anarchy H-D head, mine is parked beside my RGV, Vespa PX, Aprilia, an SV650 and some trail bikes. I like it because it's good at what it is designed for. Ditto the others.

I currently ride a CBR1100 Blackbird, had VFR's, Speed Triple, Trophy, Z750 etc.
    The Virago got me riding again after a serious off. The low seat height and neutral handling were just what I needed to regain a bit of lost confidence.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Is it true about the reason why guys on Harley's don't wave?

Because they are afraid to take their hand off the handlebars!:D

Lol, but no. That's one thing about lazy geometry............works well WITH no hands ;)

Ode To The Motorist

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    My 1700 V-Twin handles very well & pulls like a freight train

The 0-60 of a a freight train is 2-3 minutes, so I say that comparison is quite accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tigger wrote: »
    have you ridden a cruiser? the long rake means they are soo relaxing to ride

there are no bad bikes

wow wow wow

The internet disagrees

Motorcycle-Sound.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The 0-60 of a a freight train is 2-3 minutes, so I say that comparison is quite accurate.
    :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement