Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child escaping car seat ?

Options
  • 26-09-2015 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I know there was a thread eons ago where someone linked to a restraint that could be used to stop a child escaping a car seat harness.

Can someone point me to the product?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Houdini strap if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

bp wrote: »
    Houdini strap if I remember correctly

That's the name of it. I saw it in use today and it looked like the best invention since sliced pan! So simple and can also be used on buggies. I plan on getting one for each car seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

That's the name of it. I saw it in use today and it looked like the best invention since sliced pan! So simple and can also be used on buggies. I plan on getting one for each car seat

Aren't they meant to be less safe when a crash happens? As the straps are secured far less tightly around the baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks folks.
    I just ordered from busy buddy's in swords.
    They were the cheapest i could find at €18 +4.50 postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They're not tested here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

They aren't recommended. Car seats should ideally be a one click opening in the event of an emergency. Any car seat expert will say not to modify any elements of the seat, including the straps.

lazygal wrote: »
    They aren't recommended. Car seats should ideally be a one click opening in the event of an emergency. Any car seat expert will say not to modify any elements of the seat, including the straps.

If he is out of his straps in an accident , he's dead.
    The alternative is a clip to give him a chance at remaining alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stick a seat belt cutter somewhere close to the seat where he can't reach as you don't want to be messing around with straps in an emergency.

http://www.eiremed.ie/seat-belt-cutter-p-444.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Just make sure you position it correctly every time. Too low or too high and you crush their internal organs in a crash.

The emergency services will always cut the straps on the car seat so no worries there. They are mandatory in the US I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

An alternative my friend swears by is putting a loose cardigan on his carseat before putting him in and strapping him in, then putting his arms into the cardigan and buttoning the cardigan outside of the carseat straps.

Granted, it's not ideal, as it's still going to slow things down in releasing the child in case of a collision! But at least it wouldn't affect the tension of the straps at all, so it seems a safer option. (At least until he learns to undo the buttons!)

I haven't had to try this myself (yet!) as he's happy enough to sit with the straps on. But it seems to work great for her anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Tony kealys sells the besafe belt guard. It is apparently the only legal one in Europe. It costs €5 but can only be purchased in store as it is not compatible with all car seats. It us not like the Houdini one. They also sell the anti escape system that is like a waistcoat for €30ish. I have it and my boy can get out of it in about 1min!

http://www.pushchairsandcarseats.co.uk/item/3132/besafe-belt-guard.aspx

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Moonbeam wrote: »

It was cheaper ordering in Ireland.
    The besafe one doesn't seem to be child proof at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

Here is the Anti Escape version. I thought it was good when used it for my eldest. Think I need to get it out again for No. 2...
    http://www.littledreamers.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3441

Here is the Anti Escape version. I thought it was good when used it for my eldest. Think I need to get it out again for No. 2...
    http://www.littledreamers.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3441
    That's the one we have! My guy can get out of it in a few seconds :( the besafe clip keeps him in no probs though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'm confused very confused as to what's the safest snd has been tested! Yesterday no matter how tightly I adjusted the straps she was able to get both arms out.
    What has been tested that I should buy please?

I'm confused very confused as to what's the safest snd has :)been tested! Yesterday no matter how tightly I adjusted the straps she was able to get both arms out.

Bought the Houdini stop and he can't escape:)

I'm confused very confused as to what's the safest snd has been tested! Yesterday no matter how tightly I adjusted the straps she was able to get both arms out.

The besafe one has been tested and I am guessing the anti escape system (works like a waist coat) has too but works in a completely different way. My guy would have red marks from his harness and he would still escape!!!!

Advertisement