Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old irish punt coins

• 26-09-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Does anyone know if old punt coins can still be cashed in for euros?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd say you'd have to go to the central bank. Regular banks won't do it.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

You can, but only at the Central Bank, and have to bring ID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone know which retail banks will accept my punt coins? It's not worth the trip to Dublin currently
    In some cases, you may be able to apply to exchange old or damaged money via your bank branch. You must complete the appropriate Central Bank exchange form at a retail bank branch, and they may submit the application directly to the Central Bank on your behalf. Contact your bank directly to ask about this option. https://www.centralbank.ie/consumer-hub/notes-and-coins/exchange-of-notes-and-coins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone know which retail banks will accept my punt coins? It's not worth the trip to Dublin currently

I would be amazed if any of the retail banks are taking old coins, unless they are hitting people with a large service charge.

A number of bank branches in the big cities have stopped dealing in cash altogether, let alone obsolete coins and currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

From RTE News & Irish Times January 10th.

“Covid-19 had an impact, forcing the Central Bank to close its walk-in teller service at its headquarters on North Wall Quay, Dublin since public health restrictions were introduced in March 2020. But the bank said the public can continue to exchange old money through the retail bank branch network or registered post”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Exactly, a CB perspn was on Radio1 recently and said a local retail bank may accept them and forward on to CB for exchange, hence the link
    https://www.centralbank.ie/consumer-hub/notes-and-coins/exchange-of-notes-and-coins
    This was not the case a year ago

I'm trying to fine which local bank will accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

zell12 wrote: »
    I'm trying to fine which local bank will accept it.

We have no idea where you live, why dont you phone a few local bank branches and ask them?

Advertisement