Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Months Deposit when renting. Normal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think it should be the norm.
    I'm hearing of alot of tenants not paying the last months deposit and leaving a week or 2 early without notifying the landlord as there may be some damage to the property etc...
    As their not paying the last months rent they see the deposit as covering this however the landlord is out of pocket for any damage.

When I rent a car I have to stump up my credit card for any damages for an asset that costs about 30k. Most houses cost over 250k yet landlords are expected to be happy with on average a 1k deposit and no real comeback.

They will just not pay the last two months rent, this would not fix that issue? There is no way to get people to leave in a timely manner, there is nothing good protectionwise for tenants or landlords here imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

...there is nothing good protectionwise for tenants or landlords here imo

I have never rented myself in Ireland so perhaps forgive my ignorance here, but do Irish rentals not normally come with a legally binding contract between landlord and tenant? I rented for a long time in Europe, and doing something such as leaving before my committed period was not an option, i.e. the landlord would have been fully entitled to legally challenge me, and would certainly succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

skallywag wrote: »
    I have never rented myself in Ireland so perhaps forgive my ignorance here, but do Irish rentals not normally come with a legally binding contract between landlord and tenant? I rented for a long time in Europe, and doing something such as leaving before my committed period was not an option, i.e. the landlord would have been fully entitled to legally challenge me, and would certainly succeed.

Ireland is a common law system which is much more expensive to access than the Civil law system used in Europe.

We also have the issue of the PRTB being useless and enforcement being about as effective as a choclate teapot.

Furthermore we're now being 'forced' to take tenants that have no assets to settle any claim anyway so all in all the LL has to try and protect themselves upfront.

Advertisement