Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arbour Hill vs Smithfield Village

• 26-09-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

This is my third thread w.r.t. area reviews and first of all I would like to thank everyone who has helped and advised me so far in my house hunt.

Funny is that after a month of house hunting, I am staring potential homelessness straight in it's eyes.

And, the situation is such that I am considering the places that I had rejected earlier on.

As you must be knowing, it is unheard of that a place remains vacant in Dublin after the very first viewing but these two apartments in Arbour Hill, Stoneybatter region and one in Smithfield Village (right in the middle of the Smithfield market) are somehow (luckily for me) vacant.

As tomorrow is Sunday, I guess it gives me 24 hours to pick one of these.

PROS: Both are extremely close to luas. And both are very close to market.

CONS: The one in Arbour Hill has a prison at a walking distance and the area seems very quiet and dead! This was the main reason why I was put off it in the first place.
    Also, the house seemed pretty gloomy. So much so that for the first time I saw the visitors saying "No Thank You" and leaving.

So... strictly, safety wise.. which one is better?
    How should I make this decision?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

This is my third thread w.r.t. area reviews and first of all I would like to thank everyone who has helped and advised me so far in my house hunt.

Funny is that after a month of house hunting, I am staring potential homelessness straight in it's eyes.

And, the situation is such that I am considering the places that I had rejected earlier on.

As you must be knowing, it is unheard of that a place remains vacant in Dublin after the very first viewing but these two apartments in Arbour Hill, Stoneybatter region and one in Smithfield Village (right in the middle of the Smithfield market) are somehow (luckily for me) vacant.

As tomorrow is Sunday, I guess it gives me 24 hours to pick one of these.

PROS: Both are extremely close to luas. And both are very close to market.

CONS: The one in Arbour Hill has a prison at a walking distance and the area seems very quiet and dead! This was the main reason why I was put off it in the first place.
    Also, the house seemed pretty gloomy. So much so that for the first time I saw the visitors saying "No Thank You" and leaving.

So... strictly, safety wise.. which one is better?
    How should I make this decision?
    On the basis of safety, Smithfield all the way. Access through wide roads into it with the Bridewell garda station nearby. Arbour Hill has to be accessed through narrow dark roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭questions007

Thanks, I guess I am bending towards Smithfield myself. For I googled the details of the prison, and I didn't find good things.

Also, this is the only property the agent has been so EAGER to push. No wonder!

I have forwarded my references to the Smithfield one as well now, and fingers crossed.... I hope that he agrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Being from the area I'd have no problems with arbour hill. The prison is there but all its residents are locked inside.
    Its handy for shops and the luas.
    I wouldn't call the streets dark and narrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

As I said in another of your threads. Dublin is rough but relatively safe. Smithfield is far from perfect but you'll be grand. I'm not overly familiar with Arbour Hill, so I can't pass comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

A single female friend of mine moved into a house in Arbour Hill last year. She loves it there. I think it's a cool area. Lovely streets of old terraced houses, close to stoneybatter, and there's a strong cummunity spirit. She's certainly never had any hassle from anyone.

I also like Smithfield. With the square, the distillery, the cinema, and it's a few minutes closer to town walking.

So for me it would probably come down to the property itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭questions007

Thank you.

So, I guess for me, it comes down to who is willing to rent me the house between the both of them.

This whole day is going to be terribly scary as I dont have a place from 1 Oct. And I guess, on monday I'm js gonna take something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I've walked home from work very late at night through arbour hill and had no problems at all. Smithfield has a few drunks hanging around throughout the day but they don't bother anyone either. As above, depends on the property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I've lived in both and they're both fine.

Advertisement