Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear WAC120 Access point

Options
  • 26-09-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I purchased the Netgear WAC120 Access point about a month ago and I'm not sure if its this AC which is highly recommended or is it something else. I'm with UPC and have a Cisco router from them. The router is connected to a switch and I have a CAT 6 connection from here to the point where I connect the Netgear AP (its between 2 floors in the same house).

With a wireless connection to the main cisco router, I get 80M down on a speedtest while I only get 30M down if connected to the AP (considering I am next to each at the time of the test, I run the test on the laptop and the test is done within minutes of each other and it shows similar results at different times on different days).

Have I done something wrong?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O4U8AC2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_4&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

What wireless hardware is in the device you're testing with? What are you connecting to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? Plug the cable going to the AP straight into ethernet and test again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

What wireless hardware is in the device you're testing with? What are you connecting to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? Plug the cable going to the AP straight into ethernet and test again

Testing on a 2.4ghz device but both the wireless router and the ap support 2.4 and 5ghz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Testing on a 2.4ghz device but both the wireless router and the ap support 2.4 and 5ghz.

Could be wireless interference, 2.4Ghz can be very congested in built up areas. Try changing channel. Get a wifi analyser app for your smartphone (or inssider for a windows laptop) to see what channels are in use nearby and set on both manually to channels well away from one another and away from your neighbours.

Advertisement