Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Use of new technology in football

• 26-09-2015 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭

Watching the rugby there and the ref going to the TMO and then thinking of the Spurs game this morning, how simple would it be for the ref this morning to ask is there any reason why i cannot award the goal. It might slow the game a bit but at least you would have the right call every time.

I know its not going to be simple either as defenders might say they stopped playing if the linesman put up his flag, but then linesmen might let more things go if they knew the TMO would cover them. Would people be in favor of it or would it slow the game too much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

A slower game is better than one which is ruined by a bad decision imo. I'm all for a TMO and technology if it means less risk of a refereeing cock up happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very much in favour of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Rugby is gone so slow these days though, I think its nearly overused and refs are afraid to make a call themselves these days. Would be exciting waiting on a tight call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

All the time it would save with players not whinging and moaning at the ref over every decision would nearly make up for time lost.
    You see it with the goal line tech, the players start to complain and then realise **** goal line technology no point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

All the time it would save with players not whinging and moaning at the ref over every decision would nearly make up for time lost.
    You see it with the goal line tech, the players start to complain and then realise **** goal line technology no point.

I'd rather see them bring in a straight yellow for players who go complaining to the ref at any incident before bringing in video replays/video ref. Maybe make an exception to captains, but they'd really need to take no prisoners on it for a couple of seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

I'd rather see them bring in a straight yellow for players who go complaining to the ref at any incident before bringing in video replays/video ref. Maybe make an exception to captains, but they'd really need to take no prisoners on it for a couple of seasons.

It would lead to absolute carnage at the start though but I'd also love to see it brought in and enforced properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'd back a TMO with the ability to draw the refs attention to incidents the ref has missed. Like the running battles Costa likes to wage with opposing defenders. It doesn't necessarily even have to cost much time as the ref can review an incident whilst the ball is otherwise out of play.

I think the technology can go further too - goal line technology can already determine when a goal is scored with little requirement for human judgement. Something similar could be done for the offside rule with the appropriate equipment modifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Taking away the major talking points from games will not be a good thing. Every decision doesn't have to be correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Taking away the major talking points from games will not be a good thing. Every decision doesn't have to be correct.

That's a BS argument.

Should we put quotas on good decisions by refs that are "too good at their job"

The game should be officiated correctly.

There will still be plenty of controversial issues to talk about regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Do it like american football, give the managers a challenge flag where they can make a certain amount of challenges, if they get it wrong they give up a substitution, would mean no manager would throw it unless completely necessary

• Advertisement

That's a BS argument.

Should we put quotas on good decisions by refs that are "too good at their job"

The game should be officiated correctly.

There will still be plenty of controversial issues to talk about regardless
    Its officiated as correctly as humanly possible. That's the game. We don't need to change that.

Its always armchair fans calling for video refs. It will take away hugely from the match day experience, which is what football is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its officiated as correctly as humanly possible.

Its humanly possible to officiate it better with a TMO. They're human too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Do it like american football, give the managers a challenge flag where they can make a certain amount of challenges, if they get it wrong they give up a substitution, would mean no manager would throw it unless completely necessary

Yes like how they do it in Tennis.

Even limit it to one challenge for each team per game.

Usually only one or two controversial decisions per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Its officiated as correctly as humanly possible. That's the game. We don't need to change that.

Its always armchair fans calling for video refs. It will take away hugely from the match day experience, which is what football is all about.

I don't think a single rugby fan will agree with your assessment there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Yes like how they do it in Tennis.

Even limit it to one challenge for each team per game.

Usually only one or two controversial decisions per game.

2 in the match, if you get all 2 right you get a third

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Give the managers somewhere between 1 to 3 challenges per game. If the decision is in the refs hands he'll just go to the TMO too often IMO due to pressure from the players or because he just constantly doubts himself.

Also give TMO license to bring off the ball incidents to the refs at the next pause in play and ref can issue yellow or red as appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Just watching MOTD. Technology is required.

The only thing preventing it being brought in is the fact that these things average out over season.
    When we find out how the Premier League manage that we can all relax more, and just enjoy the banter generated by the raft of terrible decisions every week.

I don't think a single rugby fan will agree with your assessment there.
    I don't really care what rugby fans think. Its a completely different sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I'd be in favour of it in general but I think at least at first it should be restricted to red cards and dodgy goals.

If it were used it would also need to be used in conjunction with a stop clock.

Finally the tmo should be able to alert the referee for unseen or off the ball incidents at any time and the referee can deal with it at the next stoppage.

It does work better with rugby as it is already a slow stop start game. Football is pretty non stop.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    It does work better with rugby as it is already a slow stop start game. Football is pretty non stop.

Except after goals and after red card decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

farna_boy wrote: »
    Except after goals and after red card decisions

What if it's borderline whether the ball crossed the line? Does the ref stop it there and then, preventing a possible goal from the rebound or a counter-attack? And how does play restart if he stops play to review with the television ref and it's ruled as not being a goal? A drop ball in the box? An indirect free kick? It's not as simple as saying "they do it in rugby", because they have an entirely different set of rules. The TV ref is called when the ball was dead anyway, which isn't always the case with calls for a goal in football. And you score a try if you ground the ball on the line or against the posts. In football, the ball has to fully cross the line and simply hitting the posts don't count. So, there's less margin for error for a football referee to call the TV ref in the first place. Sensors in the ball and woodwork are far better suited to the pace of football.

Again, with red cards, if the ref misses it, what happens? Do they wait 'til the ball goes dead, which could be 10/15 minutes later? If it turns out to be a red, do the previous 10/15 minutes get replayed from the point of the red card? What if the innocent team score in the meantime, does their goal get disallowed? What if the player who should've been sent off scores or clears one off the line? You could give a short window for the video ref to review things to help minimise this, but these things could still occur in that window and it might put undue pressure on the referee compared to rugby, where the ball is dead anyway and he can calmly review it.

These things could work more cleanly if they were only used to right wronged parties. Ie, if the ref incorrectly called a goal or incorrectly sent someone off, as the ball goes dead regardless. But, then would refs be more likely to make these calls, without really being convinced, knowing the video ref will back them up? So, again, you could have a ref calling a goal, that's then ruled out, where the attacking team may have buried from the rebound anyway or the defending team may have scored on the counter.

Re the example of challenges in tennis. A singles tennis court is 26 x 9 yards. The player is going to be about 10-15 yards away, so in a good position to spot marginal fouls. A football pitch is 100-130 x 50-100. In terms of area, it's between 20 and 50 times the size. The managers are about about 60 or 70 yards away from where the main action happens. They're very unlikely to be in a position to spot a ball that's a few inches over the line or a marginal offside and it's a lot harder for them to keep track of everything that's going on over such a large surface area. You can't just say because it works for one sport, it should be applied to another, without carefully considering the differences in both.

I don't agree with the idea that the wrong decisions make football great. I'm in favour of technology to assist referees, provided it's given very careful consideration, trialled extensively and has a minimum impact on the flow of the match. I'm completely opposed to blindly applying a rule just because, on the face of it, it works in another sport.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Again, with red cards, if the ref misses it, what happens? Do they wait 'til the ball goes dead, which could be 10/15 minutes later? If it turns out to be a red, do the previous 10/15 minutes get replayed from the point of the red card?

I'd love to know what games you're watching when the ball stays in play and in an area where stopping the play would unfairly penalise a team in a promising position for 15 minutes straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The head honcho's in the game have resisted it for years, so hopefully they will all be in jail in the coming years so we might see it happen.

That Zebo non-try just shows how important it can be. Imagine that was in the last minute to win a big game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Don't agree with it, smacks of elitism. Universal rules for the universal game. Not something different for wealthy leagues and clubs which is exactly what it would be. Or are people suggesting we are going to get TV trucks at every League of Ireland game or lower leagues in England for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I'd love to know what games you're watching when the ball stays in play and in an area where stopping the play would unfairly penalise a team in a promising position for 15 minutes straight.

I didn't say that a team would be in a promising position for 15 minutes straight. I said that if you waited for the ball to go dead (and in some matches, the ball does indeed stay in play for extended periods of time) to review the decision, there could be quite a time lag between the incident and the review. Argue against the points that I actually made, instead of making up something to argue against.

Don't agree with it, smacks of elitism. Universal rules for the universal game. Not something different for wealthy leagues and clubs which is exactly what it would be. Or are people suggesting we are going to get TV trucks at every League of Ireland game or lower leagues in England for example.
    Universal. :rolleyes: There isn't even a single required pitch size ffs. Officials being able to communicate at some levels, different squad sizes in different competitions, different numbers of officials, different standards for lighting. It's not universal.

I didn't say that a team would be in a promising position for 15 minutes straight. I said that if you waited for the ball to go dead (and in some matches, the ball does indeed stay in play for extended periods of time) to review the decision, there could be quite a time lag between the incident and the review. Argue against the points that I actually made, instead of making up something to argue against.

15 minutes? That's just not true.
    Referees can stop play for injuries or scuffles off-the-ball. Usually they allow attacks to finish (as in injury time) before doing so, they could do the same for this. As it is play will often continue when something happens and then the referee acts on information from other officials during a break in play.

I genuinely think there is an elelment that the powers-that-be like the controversy that goes with iffy decisions, its keeps people talking about the games well after they are over, and fans quickly get over bad decisions.

Just think of your chats in work on Monday morning, they are often about bad decisions as much as good moves, goals or tactics. It also keeps the column inches filled, social media going etc.

No such thing as bad publicity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Universal. :rolleyes: There isn't even a single required pitch size ffs. Officials being able to communicate at some levels, different squad sizes in different competitions, different numbers of officials, different standards for lighting. It's not universal.

Yeah you're right universal was a lazy word.

I've seen enough sport that have video officiating and they still make errors, so to me it's just yet another layer of officiating that can make mistakes or their interpretation differs from half the people watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

What if it's borderline whether the ball crossed the line? Does the ref stop it there and then, preventing a possible goal from the rebound or a counter-attack? And how does play restart if he stops play to review with the television ref and it's ruled as not being a goal? A drop ball in the box? An indirect free kick? It's not as simple as saying "they do it in rugby", because they have an entirely different set of rules. The TV ref is called when the ball was dead anyway, which isn't always the case with calls for a goal in football. And you score a try if you ground the ball on the line or against the posts. In football, the ball has to fully cross the line and simply hitting the posts don't count. So, there's less margin for error for a football referee to call the TV ref in the first place. Sensors in the ball and woodwork are far better suited to the pace of football.

Again, with red cards, if the ref misses it, what happens? Do they wait 'til the ball goes dead, which could be 10/15 minutes later? If it turns out to be a red, do the previous 10/15 minutes get replayed from the point of the red card? What if the innocent team score in the meantime, does their goal get disallowed? What if the player who should've been sent off scores or clears one off the line? You could give a short window for the video ref to review things to help minimise this, but these things could still occur in that window and it might put undue pressure on the referee compared to rugby, where the ball is dead anyway and he can calmly review it.

These things could work more cleanly if they were only used to right wronged parties. Ie, if the ref incorrectly called a goal or incorrectly sent someone off, as the ball goes dead regardless. But, then would refs be more likely to make these calls, without really being convinced, knowing the video ref will back them up? So, again, you could have a ref calling a goal, that's then ruled out, where the attacking team may have buried from the rebound anyway or the defending team may have scored on the counter.

Re the example of challenges in tennis. A singles tennis court is 26 x 9 yards. The player is going to be about 10-15 yards away, so in a good position to spot marginal fouls. A football pitch is 100-130 x 50-100. In terms of area, it's between 20 and 50 times the size. The managers are about about 60 or 70 yards away from where the main action happens. They're very unlikely to be in a position to spot a ball that's a few inches over the line or a marginal offside and it's a lot harder for them to keep track of everything that's going on over such a large surface area. You can't just say because it works for one sport, it should be applied to another, without carefully considering the differences in both.

I don't agree with the idea that the wrong decisions make football great. I'm in favour of technology to assist referees, provided it's given very careful consideration, trialled extensively and has a minimum impact on the flow of the match. I'm completely opposed to blindly applying a rule just because, on the face of it, it works in another sport.

Thats all well and good but the idea in the OP has merit.

A goal is scored and the ref then asks "Is there any reason why I cant give this goal?".
    Play has already stopped anyway for said goal.

ETA They already use technology for the ball crossing the line and its immediate with no delay whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I do not understand why they cannot use GPS systems inside the players jerseys to assess offsides. They already have the GPS and body monitors on them.

The game will be under threat if Platini gets the FIFA gig. He is football's version of ISIS in terms of conservatism.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I genuinely think there is an elelment that the powers-that-be like the controversy that goes with iffy decisions, its keeps people talking about the games well after they are over, and fans quickly get over bad decisions.

Just think of your chats in work on Monday morning, they are often about bad decisions as much as good moves, goals or tactics. It also keeps the column inches filled, social media going etc.

No such thing as bad publicity?

Blatter and Co were saying that before Goal-Line was brought in. I don't think anybody misses the debate of wether it a was over or not.

If you look at a programme like Goals on Sunday, it is 2 hours of looking at referee decisions as opposed to actual football.

The theory is correct though. Chelsea V Arsenal was a dreadful game but managed to stay in the news all week because of refereeing decisions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I do not understand why they cannot use GPS systems inside the players jerseys to assess offsides. They already have the GPS and body monitors on them.

The game will be under threat if Platini gets the FIFA gig. He is football's version of ISIS in terms of conservatism.

GPS isn't accurate enough to work properly.

Amirani wrote: »
    GPS isn't accurate enough to work properly.

True but a localized system similar to GPS could be used.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Football has become a pretty ridiculous sport with all the simulation and play-acting.

Anything that can rid the game of this stuff would be welcomed.

If a TMO would decide if a player dived,cheated/good or bad tackle then it would cut out a lot of this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If the rugby refs could possibly find the balls to actually make a decision themselves that would be just super.

Maybe the rugby powers have decided that its just silly to expect one person to make calls on things he often can't see properly, so that the game is decided by skill/effort etc and not incorrect decisions by a human who makes mistakes.

Football needs to take a leaf out of rugby's book, imho.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Which part of the jersey? Front? Back? Maybe the shoulder? How do you then deal with where the feet are?

Use of technology beyond the current goal line decisions will simply break up the game - I've seen situations in sports like Rugby (Union and League) and Cricket where a decision can take 2-3 minutes. Even then it may not be clearcut and sometimes evidence appears subsequently showing the video ref decision to be wrong.

The game is already extending to nearly 2 hours (when I started going half time was only 10 minutes and Saturday matches finished by 4.45 - introduce technology and they will be going well past 5pm). Eventually people will be demanding virtually every decision is scrutinised - you may as well put the Ref in a box surrounded by TV screens. Or you can leave it as it has flourished for the past 150 years with judgments calls and some human error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why can't the TMO just watch the match on TV, if he sees something in a replay such as an off the ball strike them he alerts the ref and the game is stopped. Same as now if the linesman sees an off the ball strike. No stopping of teh game unnecessarily, quick decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd like to see more technology to help refs but its very hard to introduce without slowing down the game.

Somebody proposed a challenge flag like in American Football but the coaches usually throw the challenge flag between plays and when theyve seen a replay themselves and assume something is incorrect.

That suits American Football as there usually 30 to 60 secs between plays and its stop/start all game, you dont get that time in soccer.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

blinding wrote: »

If a TMO would decide if a player dived,cheated/good or bad tackle then it would cut out a lot of this nonsense.

Way too much judgement required. Even with the aid of technology you cannot determine intent. Someone gets a slight nudge they lose their balance and fall. Someone else gets a similar nudge does not lose their balance and dives. You could then end up with even more debate over controversial decisions.

Even handball requires intent. There is absolutely nothing in the rules about ball to hand or hand to ball. That's simply something the refs use to help interpret intention. It remains though a judgement call.

To me it has to be a yes/no answer and I think (goal) line technology is about the only element of rule enforcement that does not require some judgment on occasions (although even then there will be some remarkably close decisions where the software will apply essentially the judgement of the developers - Hawkeye can only take things to a finite level)

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd like to see more technology to help refs but its very hard to introduce without slowing down the game.

Somebody proposed a challenge flag like in American Football but the coaches usually throw the challenge flag between plays and when theyve seen a replay themselves and assume something is incorrect.

That suits American Football as there usually 30 to 60 secs between plays and its stop/start all game, you dont get that time in soccer.

I must be watching different games then, cos often there are quite lengthy delays in football games I see.

From a free getting awarded to being taken can often take 60sec and more, once all the moaning and arguing with the ref is done. How often is there a free, and the TV company can look at 5 or 6 replays before coming back to the live action, when the free still hasn't been taken.

Taking a corner can take 30-60sec sometimes, as a team waits for a CB to come up the pitch.

When a goal is scored, how long do you think it takes for the next kick-off to happen? You should time it the next few games you watch. You;d be surprised how much delay there is.

Even simple things like throw-ins, a guy walks over picks up the ball, back into position, looks around for a few secs to see who to throw it to, then drops it at his feet and walks off, leaving for someone else to take.

Football is a lot less frantic than some people think. Of course you aren't going to stop games that are in motion to review a TV replay, but it could easily be done when there is a stoppage, as there usually is when something contentious happens. Or why couldn't a TMO review the replay whilst the game is going on, then tell the ref that X punched Y off the ball, and ref could deal with it at the next stoppage?

I think it could easily be implemented, if the will was there (it isn't at present).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Of course theres stoppage but for instance in the Spurs game at the weekend, the goal was scored maybe 5 seconds after the original offside should have been given.

What happens if Spurs play on, are in control of the ball and score 30secs after the original offside, does Pellegrini have the option to say well 30secs ago he was offside so the goal shouldnt stand?

I agree it could be implemented but it needs serious consideration because the ball can be in play for about 65/70mins of the 90mins and there can be quiet long gaps between an incident.

Another one, and its only basing it on this weekend was Hazard getting fouled by a Newcastle player at one end, they went up and got a corner and scored from it, it was nearly a ful minute between the incidents but the Sky replays didnt show the clip on Hazard until about 5 or 10minutes after the Newcastle goal so you couldnt challenge it then, there would be outrage.

I reckon they do need some sort of TMO though but the process surronding challenges or decision making has to be water tight to avoid issues.

Was it not trialled in Norway or somewhere a year or two back?
    Thought I read about it happening in some top flight somewhere?

Goal line technology is there to determine if the ball crosses the line or not. When I was talking about a dodgy goal I meant that if a clear cut goal has been scored. It usually takes at least 2-3 minutes before the ball is kicked off again, so during that duration the ref can check with the TMO if any questions are raised whether there was an offside or any other reason not to allow the goal.

Similarly in the case of a red card, if what seems like a bad challenge has gone in and the ref has any doubt whether it should be yellow/red (or even if it was a dive) the ref can check quickly with the TMO. As it stands it usually takes even longer to send a player off than it does to get the ball back after a goal, so I really don't see the problem.

As for the other scenario, most red card offences are for incidents on the ball that the ref sees. He then makes a judgement call whether to allow any advantage or he stops the game immediately. Once the advantage is over, the ball goes dead or if he stops the game immediately the TMO can be asked to make a call.

In the case of an off the ball incident, if it's serious enough play gets stopped immediately or the next time the ball goes dead depending on the seriousness of it. While waiting for the ball to go dead the TMO can make the decision.

In reality though, off the ball incidents are ridiculously rare so it is barely worth talking about. If this technology was brought in they would probably disappear altogether because players would immediately realise they wouldn't get away with it any more (which is the only reason it happens at all at the moment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

farna_boy wrote: »
    Similarly in the case of a red card, if what seems like a bad challenge has gone in and the ref has any doubt whether it should be yellow/red (or even if it was a dive) the ref can check quickly with the TMO. As it stands it usually takes even longer to send a player off than it does to get the ball back after a goal, so I really don't see the problem.

The problem is instances like the Luke Shaw tackle a few weeks ago. He broke his leg, but even then there are people who believe the tackle was hard but fair. Therein lies the problem, so many of these cases come down to subjective views as opposed to rugby where most of the judgements are about provable instances, such as was the ball grounded or did the ball go forward.

You are bringing in video evidence to deal with cases that the TMO can't really be definitive about anyway, cases where the intent still matters. Take the Shaw case again, if the TMO says it should have been a red card you will still have a lot of people crying that it was a bad decision, that its a shame the leg got broken but the defender didn't really do much wrong. If he doesn't send him off you will have people crying that he should have been. You will have taken power and responsibility away from the referee and in the end the game won't be any better.

The problem is instances like the Luke Shaw tackle a few weeks ago. He broke his leg, but even then there are people who believe the tackle was hard but fair. Therein lies the problem, so many of these cases come down to subjective views as opposed to rugby where most of the judgements are about provable instances, such as was the ball grounded or did the ball go forward.

You are bringing in video evidence to deal with cases that the TMO can't really be definitive about anyway, cases where the intent still matters. Take the Shaw case again, if the TMO says it should have been a red card you will still have a lot of people crying that it was a bad decision, that its a shame the leg got broken but the defender didn't really do much wrong. If he doesn't send him off you will have people crying that he should have been. You will have taken power and responsibility away from the referee and in the end the game won't be any better.

Yes mistakes could be made but who will make a better call. A ref with just one view of it or a ref with 10 views at it from different angles. TMO's in rugby make mistakes but most desicians are correct and it would be the same in football.

Yeah something like the Luke Shaw incident would be difficult to make a clear decision about if the referee just asked for an opinion. But if instead he asked is there any reason to give or not to give a red card, he is asserting that the decision has essentially already been made but he is open to correction in case it was a dive or an exaggeration. Even if there is uncertainty then, even after review, the original refereeing decision would stand.

Something like that happened the other day in the world cup where a player went down after what initially looked like a high tackle but on review he had just gone down easy. So instead of a player being wrongly sent off, a penalty was given for the foul and play resumed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You have to get over the huge problems of giving the attacking team the benefit of the doubt.

Get that right and everything else is grand.

You can call someone back for an off the ball incident

You can check if it's a yellow, red or dive.

If a team feel it was a penalty you can check.

If a team feel it wasn't a penalty you can check.

But you can't call someone offside and fix it. And you can't let play continue every time there's an offside.

That's the problem IMO.

Edit: surely there's a system that could be used for offside. Player has tracker, so does ball. Should be achievable.

Then video replays in refs ear for everything else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement