Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York with toddler

Options
  • 26-09-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, we're going to New York mid December with a 19 months old. Could anyone reccomend a few do's and don'ts as to what we should/should not do.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

December will be cold. Can be much colder than Ireland. Make sure they are wrapped up. It could also snow. Some of the subways aren't stroller friendly and the cars can be packed down there in winter as less people walk. Could be uncomfortable for a young kid. A lot of people have bad hygiene practices in new york. Which means during winter it can be very easy to pick up a cold or flu on the subway as they all seem to end up down there. For me hand sanitizer became essential after touching the hand rails etc down there.

Normal big city practices when you have a kid with you would apply. Less tourists in times square area so should be fine enough to walk around more comfortably than the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

December will be cold. Can be much colder than Ireland. Make sure they are wrapped up. It could also snow. Some of the subways aren't stroller friendly and the cars can be packed down there in winter as less people walk. Could be uncomfortable for a young kid. A lot of people have bad hygiene practices in new york. Which means during winter it can be very easy to pick up a cold or flu on the subway as they all seem to end up down there. For me hand sanitizer became essential after touching the hand rails etc down there.

Normal big city practices when you have a kid with you would apply. Less tourists in times square area so should be fine enough to walk around more comfortably than the summer months.

What exactly are normal big city practised when you've a kid? This is our first trip with the child out of Ireland so we've been nowhere bigger than Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

You are in for a big shock op, New York is fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

If this is your first time to New York, [I'm guessing it's 5 days max], I'd suggest leaving the child with parents/other if possible. You will be slowed down & the child's not going to get anything out of it at all. My youngest is four years & I wouldn't dream of bringing them, a less than two year olds going to be hassle for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What exactly are normal big city practised when you've a kid? This is our first trip with the child out of Ireland so we've been nowhere bigger than Dublin

Ah OK. But even though Dublin is not that big. I just meant the same practices as you would in any busy city center. It will be more difficult to navigate so you just need to be aware. New York is a fast and busy city. A lot of people rushing and they wont take you with a stroller or young kid into consideration. You'll be pushed by if blocking anyone. A lot of the subways are all stairs and can go down multiple levels. Also you won't be able to just wheel it onto the subway car if it's busy. There just won't be any space.

For me personally, I'd never take a kid that young to New York on vacation. OK for maybe one day if visiting family. But for a trip of a few days I can just imagine it being difficult day in day out. It really will be like nothing you've experienced.

• Advertisement

don't take a 19 month old on a transatlantic flight would be another tip

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

NYC in December with a toddler in a buggy would be my idea of a nightmare. If there's heavy snow there could be mounds of slush piled up along the sidewalks and getting about could be pretty hazardous even for an adult with good shoes and no buggy. You will be pretty miserable if there's snow or rain and in all probability it will be very cold.

As others have said, it is a fast moving place, the locals are fairly intolerant of tourists who hang around blocking their progress. With a buggy you will stand out as a tourist and probably get dirty looks because the locals will think you're mentally deranged for bringing a child in a buggy into such a busy city. The majority of the subway stations have steps down sometimes narrow stairwells, I'd reckon the subway system will be more or less off limits to you.

I wouldn't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

all of this is a bit overkill. My brother travels to NY with his kid all the time to see friends. He's 2, and they do the following

1. Avoid rushhour on the subway(before 9:30/10 and between 4:30-6:30/7).
    2. Move to the side whenever possible if your doing something with your kid (ie don't stop at the subway entrance)
    3. wrap the kid up as much as possible when outside (-15c+windchill is never fun)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

all of this is a bit overkill. My brother travels to NY with his kid all the time to see friends. He's 2, and they do the following)

Bit of a difference between visiting friends and trying to do any sight seeing.

Personally the idea of a transatlantic flight with a toddler, and then dealing with the time adjustment/jet lag in potentially cold weather ( December is not usually that bad - the -15c is much more likely in late Jan/February - but below freezing is likely) is my idea of hell ... but each to their own,

If you (OP) are committed to bringing the toddler, forget about a stroller if possible and get a baby harness instead, Much. much easier to get around - just be careful of slipping if icy or wet, and avoid rush hour at all costs. You might want to look into the tourist buses that circle Manhattan for transport rather than trying to manage the subway/city buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

good earplugs for the Babbie on the plane
    failing that, good earplugs for everyone else on the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Ah OK. But even though Dublin is not that big. I just meant the same practices as you would in any busy city center. It will be more difficult to navigate so you just need to be aware. New York is a fast and busy city. A lot of people rushing and they wont take you with a stroller or young kid into consideration. You'll be pushed by if blocking anyone. A lot of the subways are all stairs and can go down multiple levels. Also you won't be able to just wheel it onto the subway car if it's busy. There just won't be any space.

For me personally, I'd never take a kid that young to New York on vacation. OK for maybe one day if visiting family. But for a trip of a few days I can just imagine it being difficult day in day out. It really will be like nothing you've experienced.

Believe it or not there are parents in NYC who do this everyday of the week. They lift up the buggy often one parent is doing this, with the toddler in the buggy and carry it up and down the subway stairs. No its not easy and its stressful.

The BUS....you will have to remove the toddler and fold up the buggy. NYC is not child friendly, imo opinion child hostile. I have had to do this with one pair of hands, holding the toddler/baby in one hand and use the other, with my leg/foot to fold up the buggy, carry both in my arms, while also digging out for a metrocard, while everyone on the bus stares at you in outraged imaptience to hurry the **** up. It's an impatient city and rude to waste other people's time.

TAke CABS would be my advice. THough alot of them wont stop for you if they see a stroller because why...that takes up more time.

Bear in mind your toddler will be jetlagged and on Irish time and it will take a week or so for them to adjust. Be prepared for them to wake up at 2am NYC time and go to sleep at 3pm NYC time.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

There is a lot of over the top posts in this thread OP, we had friends here in NYC this summer with their 18 month old and they had no problems either with flights, their buggy or anything else. It will be cold in December but probably no snow, or very little so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

NYC is fast paced and full of hustle and bustle but it is also packed full of kids and people here are friendlier than you've been told. You will want to avoid public transport at rush hour and you may have your hands full at times but you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

don't take a 19 month old on a transatlantic flight would be another tip

Why not? My daughter has been flying on transatlantic flights a couple of times a year since before she was two. Never been any problems.

What's with all the over the top replies? Do people in New York not have kids or something? Yes, there are millions of kids living there and their parents manage just fine. Perhaps the parenting forum would be more helpful?

As others have said, avoid rush hour on public transport. I would look into buying a lightweight stroller that is easy and quick to fold for when you are getting on the subway or tackling stairs. Other than that and getting some proper warm clothes I don't think you need to make any other special preparations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why not? My daughter has been flying on transatlantic flights a couple of times a year since before she was two. Never been any problems.

What's with all the over the top replies? Do people in New York not have kids or something? Yes, there are millions of kids living there and their parents manage just fine. Perhaps the parenting forum would be more helpful?

As others have said, avoid rush hour on public transport. I would look into buying a lightweight stroller that is easy and quick to fold for when you are getting on the subway or tackling stairs. Other than that and getting some proper warm clothes I don't think you need to make any other special preparations.

Its different when you are used to it...and jet lag is a pain.

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Its different when you are used to it...and jet lag is a pain.

Yes jet lag is a pain but it's not that bad. With a child, get them outside as much as possible, letting them nap for a couple of hours (in the dreaded buggy!) in the early afternoon should stop them wanting to go to bed at 3pm and they will adjust within a few days.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yes jet lag is a pain but it's not that bad. With a child, get them outside as much as possible, letting them nap for a couple of hours (in the dreaded buggy!) in the early afternoon should stop them wanting to go to bed at 3pm and they will adjust within a few days.

Well he sleeps from 12-2 these days anyway. Don't know what way he'll be by December

So anyway, leaving baby behind isn't an option for us. Any ideas on what IS child friendly in New York, and what tips would people give about travelling the long flight with the child.

So anyway, leaving baby behind isn't an option for us. Any ideas on what IS child friendly in New York, and what tips would people give about travelling the long flight with the child.

The High Line, Central Park, the Met Museum, the Museum of Natural History are all child friendly. Any shopping or exploring you might want to do anywhere else in the city will be no more child friendly or unfriendly than any other city, including Dublin. You'll be grand.

No expert on traveling with Toddlers but it's five hours, ear plugs and enough distractions to keep baby happy is probably your best bet.

Bring a few new toys for the flight. Those character magazines you can get in WH Smith are great for keeping them occupied. They normally have loads of stickers and a toy with them. If you have a tablet, load it up with some new apps and some TV shows or films. Depending on the airline there might be some kids stuff on the entertainment system. It's only 5 or 6 hours to New York so not too bad.

Bring a few treats, they're great for blackmailing ie if you sit down in your seat you can have some chocolate buttons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I've done this trip from Dublin to JFK and on again to LAX, it's not that bad. As already mentioned, a few toys will be a help. Some story books and a tablet crammed with the childs favourite shows (Peppa Pig is what we used at that age). Lots of snacks too, but I'd stay away from sugary things as the post sugar crash isn't worth it.

I've done the tourist thing in New York with a toddler and it was fine. It's one of the most tourist friendly places on the planet. Book well in advance for stuff like the Statue of Liberty.

Also, the only other piece of advice I'd give is to get travel insurance that covers the kids for health issues / trips to the doc. We had a scare a few years ago when our daughter picked up a dose on the plane and her temperature spiked. Most GP's I called weren't interested as we weren't insured (or were quoting crazy money (over €500) for a consult). She was fine in the end (we had panicked) but I wouldn't like to be caught like that again if she came down with something more serious. I think the likes of VHI do a policy for under €100.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Posts are little over kill alright, especially in terms of weather, mid December is unlikely to be that cold (comparable to home) and its possible you may get snow but most likely you wont, well at least not snow that will impact your day to day.

If you were going in Janurary or Feburary, that would be a different story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Leave the toddler at home

You will not enjoy nyc with a toddler especially in winter
    Winter is bitterly cold, like nothing here

OP has already said that going without their son isn't a possibility. A lot of people don't have the option to just leave their child at home, it's not like you can just book them into a boarding kennel for the weekend! Childcare can be hard to arrange if you don't have family around willing to help and most parents wouldn't want to go without them anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Go at a different time then, bringing a toddler to a country where it will be immensely cold isn't really fair, you can wrap him/her up etc but still they are going to feel it.

The child will be fine.

We bring our daughter to the mountains every winter for the snow and she loves it. Children are tough, wrap them up well and they'll be fine.

Go at a different time then, bringing a toddler to a country where it will be immensely cold isn't really fair, you can wrap him/her up etc but still they are going to feel it.

That's not accurate, it's not "immensely cold" especially at the time of year the OP is coming. It's overcoat weather not the North Pole.

Based on my multiple trips to NYC and it's near 15 all from Dec-March, it will be cold, it's not going to be epic snow storm Jan/Feb cold but it will be colder than Ireland, NYC in the winter is also pretty windy and that windchill makes it feel a lot colder.

Doing anything outside is really not going to be pleasant for the toddler

It's fine for an adult and for me I like that temperature, but people seem to be forgetting they are bringing a 19 month old.

Based on my multiple trips to NYC and it's near 15 all from Dec-March, it will be cold, it's not going to be epic snow storm Jan/Feb cold but it will be colder than Ireland, NYC in the winter is also pretty windy and that windchill makes it feel a lot colder.

It's fine for an adult and for me I like that temperature, but people seem to be forgetting they are bringing a 19 month old.

A toddler will be fine once wrapped up correctly.

People with toddlers of their own live there as well, you know, they seem to survive.

A toddler will be fine once wrapped up correctly.

People with toddlers of their own live there as well you know, they seem to survive.

NYC also handles snow storms pretty well, what happens here.. the country stops.

Irish people are not used to that weather, sounds like the OP is set anyway, like you say just need to wrap up and hope that the snow/wind stay away

• Advertisement

15 Farenheit? From December to March? Hardly, those temperatures would be quite unusual in December, the 40s would be much more typical. It's still cold but well above freezing and certainly within the experience of Irish people and even Irish Toddlers. Of course it's worth pointing out that it is much more dry here during the winter months which has the effect of making it much easier to wrap up against.

Advertisement