Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York with toddler

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yes jet lag is a pain but it's not that bad. With a child, get them outside as much as possible, letting them nap for a couple of hours (in the dreaded buggy!) in the early afternoon should stop them wanting to go to bed at 3pm and they will adjust within a few days.

In my multiple experiences of this, yes it is a pain.

It's a pain when on a red eye flight your toddler falls asleep during landing. You then carry the sleeping toddler in one arm, your hand luggage and all the stuff you brought on the plane with another, stand in the queue arms full to exit the plane, get the buggy, if it's at the door that is and not on the carousel, walk through to passport contriol, while still carrying a sleeping toddler in one arm, put all your crap down with the other one, locate your passports, pick up all your stuff again after putting the passports away, get to luggage pick up, find a luggage trolley to dump your stuff in, push it with one hand while still carrying sleeping toddler, get to the carousel, and get luggage off the carousel with one arm while still carrying knocked out asleep toddler. Then with other arm manoeuvre luggage onto the trolley. Then push weighted trolley and steer with one arm while carrying sleeping toddler. And also maybe bursting to have a pee yourself and of course sleep deprived because you've been up all night on a red eye entertaining a toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Flight time Dublin to JFK is more like 7 hours.

I find NYC colder than Dublin in winter, the wind chill is unreal. Get quilted/down coats if you don't already have them. I really feel the cold and these were the only thing that kept me warm. Daylight is around 7am to 4pm. It probably won't snow but if it does the paths and roads will be cleared by the time you head out. The only tricky part is crossing the street where the snow piles up and makes puddles so waterproof shoes are a must.

Rockefeller Centre is pretty child friendly, the Christmas tree will be up by then and you can watch the ice skaters or take part if you like. Top of the Rock has the best views of the city IMO.

MACYS Santa land and the Christmas window displays are a must see. Admission to Santa land is free. If you're shopping MACYS or Lord & Taylor bring your passport and get the visitors pass from the info desk which will give you a 10% discount on most products.

There's a children's museum on the Upper West Side that has lots of activities. Also the Natural History museum is only about 15 mins walk from there too.

Central Park and Battery Park, nice for walking around if it's not too cold. There's a zoo and playground in Central Park too.

I agree with forgoing the buggy if you can and just get a baby harness. You'll find getting around so much easier without one but if you really get stuck there's places you can rent one from.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

15 Farenheit? From December to March? Hardly, those temperatures would be quite unusual in December, the 40s would be much more typical. It's still cold but well above freezing and certainly within the experience of Irish people and even Irish Toddlers. Of course it's worth pointing out that it is much more dry here during the winter months which has the effect of making it much easier to wrap up against.

sorry meant 15 trips in those months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I think this may be more about you than your child. What I am saying is, how the trip goes will mostly be a function of how well prepared you are and your ability to be flexible. A lot of parents, particularly 1st timers are so up tight about about parenting that they have a poor ability to deal with the curve balls life throws at them. So, in essence, bring lots of stuff and don't spare the Xanax!

I've flown with our kid at 4mos, 2yrs, 4yrs, 6yrs, 8yrs,... 4mos was a breeze. 2yrs was a nightmare. 4, 6 and 8 were no problem. Looking back, as a 2 year old, there was a lot of stuff we just didn't do right. Particularly the curve balls part.

Suggestions: something to make your kid fall asleep? Stay in Brooklyn? AirBnB?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

I hope its not bad form of me to post in this thread so late but seeing as the op has yet to travel, i hope that I can still help.

Its best to take an umbrella fold stroller to new york as most of the attractions will only allow one like that to be stored. I would also advise in packing a raincover as they are invaluable against the wind, snow or rain. Also dressing in layers is the best idea as it may be cold outside but hot inside.

For the subway just avoid rush hour and you will be fine, you will also have to use the gate rather than the turnstiles but once again I found this to be no major problem. You may have to carry the stroller up and down stairs but some are wheelchair acessable.

I would also keep some toddler food, snacks and drinks to hand as you might not awalys get something suitable when they get hungry. Also stick a changing mat in your bag as their might not always be a changing area to hand. Dont forget to pack the calpol, neurofen or whatever is relevant for you as its best to have them on hand rather than have to seek them out, if you or they do get sick there are loads of 24hour chemists and I have always found them helpful.

We took our 14 month old on a five hour fligh and it was just fine just have something for them to suck on (bottle, soother) for takeoff and landing, its great to help their ears. Also have their favourite toy to hand.

One really great thing to do is the ferris wheel in toys r us in times square, unfortunately it is closing in feb 2016.

• Advertisement
Advertisement