Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6s, all the new features.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Was anyone here a iPhone 6/6+ user and upgraded to a 6s/6s+?

Thinking of selling and upgrading again and was wondering is it worth while?

I was using a 6+ from launch. A month before the new phones, I swapped it for a regular 6. (To make my mind up about which form factor I wanted for the new phones).

So this year I have a 6s regular size. (I upgrade my iPhone every year since iPhone 4.)

I think features like 3D Touch & Live Photos are a bit gimmicky and most people should be able to wait until next hears phone before they really take off anyway.

Whereas there are two things that make me love the 6s over the 6.

1. Speed. The A9 chip and the faster Touch ID (it's almost too fast :D) The 2GB RAM can definitely be felt in Safari too.

2. Cameras. The biggest thing here is the jump to a 5mp front camera. Selfies, FaceTime calls now are much improved. Shooting in 4K has me interested as well big time. Bump up to 12mp is good as well, I'm yet to test that too much.

Overall, having a 6 / 6s for another year for most people would be fine. The price increase makes it hard to justify and especially when it's the same form factor and design. If money isn't a huge issue go for it, there are parts of it that make it a very nice upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Was anyone here a iPhone 6/6+ user and upgraded to a 6s/6s+?

Thinking of selling and upgrading again and was wondering is it worth while?

Went from 6 to 6s plus. Highly recommend the move. Surprising how smooth the plus size is after a few days use. Thought it was too big at first, loving it now.

So it looks from the video posted yesterday that the 6s is waterproof...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_HbztTpL08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

never trust YouTube videos that use dub step as their intro music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

naasrd wrote: »
    So it looks from the video posted yesterday that the 6s is waterproof...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_HbztTpL08

Will it survive toilet water with a bit of piss mixed in? Anyone tested that? :pac:

• Advertisement

Will it survive toilet water with a bit of piss mixed in? Anyone tested that? :pac:

That's the test we all want!

Live Photos working on my iPad Air 2, taken on a 6s then saved to iCloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Any update on the battery stats?

Is the 6S dodgy on the "now smaller" battery?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I can confirm that the battery life on my 6S plus, is better than my 6 Plus, not a massive difference, but it's better.

eeloe wrote: »
    I can confirm that the battery life on my 6S plus, is better than my 6 Plus, not a massive difference, but it's better.

To be fair a new phone is likely to be better because your phone over the course of a year has likely lost 10-15% of its capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

364199.png.364200.png

I'm finding the battery on 6s far better than the one I had with the 6

I'm finding the battery on 6s far better than the one I had with the 6.

Looking decent. I'll post mine soon.

Twice mine has shut down and I've had use a hard reset to start it again. Reset all settings. Hopefully that'll sort it.

My battery life from yesterday. 6s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

FourFourFM wrote: »
    My battery life from yesterday. 6s

I'd say you'd get even better battery life if you got rid of the Facebook app. 1.2 hours background use, that's ridiculous.

I know it's very early days how are fellow 6s owners finding the battery life so far?

Very happy with this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

naasrd wrote: »
    Twice mine has shut down and I've had use a hard reset to start it again. Reset all settings. Hopefully that'll sort it.

It has happened to me - I thought it was the battery had gone - but the screen was all black and unresponsive - but after a few minutes started to vibrate once every second - hard boot got it going - I had plenty battery left. I think safari might have caused it. Problem hasn't reoccurred.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Pretty scathing review in the guardian slating battery life

iPhone 6S review: a very good phone ruined by rubbish battery life

6S owners on here ... is the review accurate?

keith_d99 wrote: »

Nope- happy with battery here. Gets well more than a full day so good enough for me.

“Roll it back”

Im getting superb battery life. Gone from charging every night to well into the next day, evening sometimes.

• Advertisement

It really depends I get better battery life when I sit at home on WiFi then I do when I'm on the DART constantly trying to hold on to the best signal and failing.

I hold the screenshots people are posting with a grain of salt (IMO of course). many have their phones neutered so that all background refreshes are off, location is off, bluetooth is off, brightness is probably down to 0 on the slider and what ever else saves battery.

It boils down to this for me; do I want to cripple my iPhone just for the sake of giving it a top-up charge for 30 minutes before I leave the office or do I actually want to use my watch, my bluetooth headphones, my location for geo-fenced reminders, have my apps up to date the next time i launch them. I know which I'm choosing :pac:.

The Guardian reviewer does have a good point though, this years phones got thicker, heavier and wider with no substantial change in the battery stats, that is a problem and is a hard sell to those who are more technically minded like ourselves in this very forum, to Joe Soap? Well it's an iPhone. Apple are solving for X, where X is 10 hours battery life under "normal" operation use. The thinner the phones get, the less and less battery life is going to be in them.

I'm all for better battery life in these pocket computers, but I just don't see it coming with the current trajectory that Apple is going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From the review:

"Battery life is the iPhone 6S’s biggest problem. During the week the phone failed to make it past 11pm after leaving the charger at 7.30am in the morning.

"I used the iPhone as my primary device, receiving hundreds of emails and push notifications, conducting 2.5 hours of browsing, three hours of music playback via Bluetooth headphones, taking a couple of pictures and playing the odd game of Angry Birds 2 on the train home"

That's excellent battery life for what would atypical usage for most users.

It is surprising to see in the teradowns, how much space is devoted to the vibrating device (Haptic Feedback) - I cannot tell any meaningful difference over the old tiny vibrator motor in the previous phones.
    I'm just guessing this device in this format this wont be present in future Iphones and the space returned for battery usage.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

Lads,

How much space do people with a 16gb 6s have left for apps and photos etc. Looking to get one close to release date but the 64gb might be too much of a push financially at the moment. Will I be disappointed I got the 16gb in a few months time? Don't mind using I cloud if it works well and photos are easily accessible etc.

Cheers.

ozmo wrote: »
    It is surprising to see in the teradowns, how much space is devoted to the vibrating device (Haptic Feedback) - I cannot tell any meaningful difference over the old tiny vibrator motor in the previous phones.
    I'm just guessing this device in this format this wont be present in future Iphones and the space returned for battery usage.
    linear actuator's by their very nature work best when they take up space. the haptic engine give way better feedback than that of the vibration motors in iPhones of past*

* note i'm comparing haptic engine on my watch to my vibration motor in my iPhone 6. The watch is a much more pleasant feeling. I don't think this part will get much smaller.

This is not the kind of usage I was expecting to get... Stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I thought the iphone6s has a super quick charge?

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I thought the iphone6s has a super quick charge?

Nope, it does charge faster with a 12w iPad wall charger but nothing the likes of those quick charging android phones have.

It really depends I get better battery life when I sit at home on WiFi then I do when I'm on the DART constantly trying to hold on to the best signal and failing.

I hold the screenshots people are posting with a grain of salt (IMO of course). many have their phones neutered so that all background refreshes are off, location is off, bluetooth is off, brightness is probably down to 0 on the slider and what ever else saves battery.

It boils down to this for me; do I want to cripple my iPhone just for the sake of giving it a top-up charge for 30 minutes before I leave the office or do I actually want to use my watch, my bluetooth headphones, my location for geo-fenced reminders, have my apps up to date the next time i launch them. I know which I'm choosing :pac:.

The Guardian reviewer does have a good point though, this years phones got thicker, heavier and wider with no substantial change in the battery stats, that is a problem and is a hard sell to those who are more technically minded like ourselves in this very forum, to Joe Soap? Well it's an iPhone. Apple are solving for X, where X is 10 hours battery life under "normal" operation use. The thinner the phones get, the less and less battery life is going to be in them.

I'm all for better battery life in these pocket computers, but I just don't see it coming with the current trajectory that Apple is going.

As an Apple Watch owner my Bluetooth is always on I do have push set to off ,background app refresh is on and my screen brightness is half way location services are on. I'm seeing a huge improvement with the 6s battery than I have seen in any generation of iPhone I have owned.

• Advertisement

I'm finding 3D Touch hit or miss at the moment anybody else finding anything similar.

Advertisement