Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best place to learn judo in dublin?

• 26-09-2015 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi guys I wanna learn a martial art to better my person and judo appeals to because of its basic philosophy (use the enemies strength against them) Im only 5'7 so any self defense that requires me to be stronger or bigger is out the question (Boxing, MMA, kickboxing).

I don't want to join any judo variations either as they're usually filled with unsavoury people (MMA and Kickboxing being plagued by the bloodthirsty dudebros while BJJ doesnt strictly adhere to the judo's internal philosphy).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Hi guys I wanna learn a martial art to better my person and judo appeals to because of its basic philosophy (use the enemies strength against them) Im only 5'7 so any self defense that requires me to be stronger or bigger is out the question (Boxing, MMA, kickboxing).

I don't want to join any judo variations either as they're usually filled with unsavoury people (MMA and Kickboxing being plagued by the bloodthirsty dudebros while BJJ doesnt strictly adhere to the judo's internal philosphy).

If you post your general location, I'm sure you'll get a recommendation of a judo club. Just as a matter of interest, have you tried any of the arts you've ruled out? There's no point in anyone recommending a judo club that might have a lot of cross-over with "bloodthirsty dudebros".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sounds like you're looking for Akido.

Tbh your view of Judo is going to be thrown (pun) right out the window during your first randori (free sparring).

Judo is far from 'the gentle way' and using your opponents force against them, well it doesn't quite work that way ;)

Judo is probably the toughest combat sports I've done.

Judo's internal philosphy, whats that?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Sounds like you're looking for Akido.

Tbh your view of Judo is going to be thrown (pun) right out the window during your first randori (free sparring).

Judo is far from 'the gentle way' and using your opponents force against them, well it doesn't quite work that way ;)

Judo is probably the toughest combat sports I've done.

Judo's internal philosphy, whats that?.

Have a look at the video link in this post. Is this what you were thinking of doing?

https://youtu.be/0afWMLpO5oE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I can't think of any judo clubs in Dublin that I would advise people to avoid, so really I think they are all good choices. I don't know which one is the best, but I would probably say Paul Cummin's school in Walkenstown, Coolmine Judo in Coolmine, or Daigokan in Clontarf.

As to your prejudices against the practitioners of other styles, all I and do is slowly shake my head, and say that is a bit of an unsavoury attitude you've got yourself there.

cletus wrote: »
    Have a look at the video link in this post. Is this what you were thinking of doing?

https://youtu.be/0afWMLpO5oE

Compared to this;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi guys I wanna learn a martial art to better my person and judo appeals to because of its basic philosophy (use the enemies strength against them)
    The idea of using somebody weight against them in judo, akido, bjj etc, is a horribly misrepresented all the time. So much so that its almost seen as somehow easier to apply the techniques to a bigger opponent. It isn't.

Bigger stronger will help virtually every martial art. Most established judoka that I've trained with were very strong. Especially in the hips.

Sounds like you've gotten it all worked out, not sure how we can help tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

So, you have never trained in any of the aforementioned sports that are for 'bloodthirsty dudebros' ...yet you know the score?

I can tell you one thing, anybody who I have trained with in MMA is far from a bloodthirsty dudebro. Yes, you get the odd few that come up wearing their tapout tees thinking this will be great fun but they never last.

MMA is about respect, you need to respect your training partners as you need them as much as they need you. If you are the a hole who likes to crank and hurt people, nobody will want to spar with you and you end up with the more experienced fighters. This will either show you humility or else the door.

Judo is great but as already stated, its not the gentle art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Judo bloody hurts. The first time you get hip tossed by a guy who knows what the feck he's doing and he lands full whack on your ribs, come back and tell me how gentle it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Just found this thread and wondering if anybody can recommend a club in south Dublin or north Wicklow? I'm 35 and haven't practiced Judo in 20 years. I'd achieved a green belt at 14 but for some unknown reason I gave it up. Would very much like to give it another go so if anybody could point me to a club that would accept an unfit 35 year old "beginner" that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Whosthis wrote: »
    Would very much like to give it another go so if anybody could point me to a club that would accept an unfit 35 year old "beginner" that would be great.

I don't think there are any clubs running adult classes that would turn you away. This is the list of IJA clubs in Ireland. http://www.irishjudoassociation.ie/clubs. I'm not sure how complete it is, but it's a good place to start looking.

• Advertisement

Just found this thread and wondering if anybody can recommend a club in south Dublin or north Wicklow? I'm 35 and haven't practiced Judo in 20 years. I'd achieved a green belt at 14 but for some unknown reason I gave it up. Would very much like to give it another go so if anybody could point me to a club that would accept an unfit 35 year old "beginner" that would be great.

Only one I know of is Paul Cummins in Walkingstown, Dublin 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Hi guys I wanna learn a martial art to better my person

Wat

If you want to 'better your person' then volunteer for a charity.

Wat

If you want to 'better your person' then volunteer for a charity.

Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Wild Geese is a handy 1 minutes walk from Pearse Dart Station.

edit: Although if you're near/in Wicklow that might be a bit of a trek ..

Nichololas wrote: »
    Wild Geese is a handy 1 minutes walk from Pearse Dart Station.

edit: Although if you're near/in Wicklow that might be a bit of a trek ..

Wild Geese under Donal Tannam, absolutely fantastic if anyone could make it there.

Donal is a fantastic coach, and a savage competitor.. And above all, a gentleman.

Even a chat with Donal is a pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

"Bloodthirsty Dudebro" should be on a t-shirt. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Every Martial Arts style will have its share of douchebags at one point or another. Luckily, Judo,BJJ, MMA and Kickboxing will weed them out faster because of sparring.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

Same as yourself . I found the Judo throws were taking their toll as i got older so now i practice Bjj. Still throws and takedowns but a lot more groundwork , Anyway , East coast bjj
    now have recently opened a club in bray if thats any use to you .
    Nice lads and great atmosphere . highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Alphac

+1 on East Coast bjj - great club(s), deadly atmosphere, amazing coaching.

Real shame there isn’t some judo about the south side of Dublin, I've a seen a good few posts here looking for Judo in this general area. I know Paul and Donal are excellent but the city centre and Walkinstown aren’t the most accessible for everyone.

Seems to me that the local bjj clubs are mopping up all the grapplers out there! I would bet any new judo club would benefit from bjj guys cross training and of course those interested in judo alone.

Any judoka out there willing to set up a club? I'd be first up to help you lay out the mats!

lanciadub wrote: »
    Same as yourself . I found the Judo throws were taking their toll as i got older so now i practice Bjj. Still throws and takedowns but a lot more groundwork , Anyway , East coast bjj
    now have recently opened a club in bray if thats any use to you .
    Nice lads and great atmosphere . highly recommend

Same here. I'm a Green Belt and would love to go back, but its definitely not pleasant feeling like you got run over by a freight train the next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Same here. I'm a Green Belt and would love to go back, but its definitely not pleasant feeling like you got run over by a freight train the next morning.

Ay, there are good days and bad. The rate of minor niggling injuries (and some of the older, every-bone-broken judoka) can be a bit worrying, but on balance it's no worse than regular DOMs from lifting weights.

I agree, judo does seem more injury prone than bjj; I've always put this down to the required level of commitment needed to throw someone. You can’t half-ass an uchimata and expect it to come off! (not implying there's anything half assed about bjj btw). And there is a finesse to bjj, the slick transitions on the ground vs. judo's more static osaekomi. Both of these factors make bjj a bit easier on the body (especially when you add a decade or two!).
    Still - you can't beat judo throws, if nothing else judo gives you confidence when being thrown about the place. And personally I am don’t like the concept of pulling guard, it’s not a good mind set in a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

Alphac wrote: »
    I agree, judo does seem more injury prone than bjj; I've always put this down to the required level of commitment needed to throw someone. You can’t half-ass an uchimata and expect it to come off! (not implying there's anything half assed about bjj btw). And there is a finesse to bjj, the slick transitions on the ground vs. judo's more static osaekomi. Both of these factors make bjj a bit easier on the body (especially when you add a decade or two!).
    Still - you can't beat judo throws, if nothing else judo gives you confidence when being thrown about the place. And personally I am don’t like the concept of pulling guard, it’s not a good mind set in a fight.

yeah the bit of judo compliments the bjj nicely. Would love to train both ,and did for a while but it just aint easy with life gettin in the way . so as i said just concentrate on Bjj now , although it is fairly sweet when you get a sneaky uchi mata every now and then...

A major problem with setting up a new Judo club is cost.

Judo can only be done on Judo tatami (mats) and they're expensive, running at something like €8500 for a proper size mat area.

The option of using zigsaw mats like some BJJ clubs isn't there for Judoka, it would be far too dangerous to be thrown onto them.

Now I know someone might tell me they know a BJJ club using zigsaw mats for take downs, which I've no doubt there is but at a high level they'd be way too dangerous for Judo throws.

The south east side of Dublin is certainly crying out for a Judo club.

Nichololas wrote: »
    Ay, there are good days and bad. The rate of minor niggling injuries (and some of the older, every-bone-broken judoka) can be a bit worrying, but on balance it's no worse than regular DOMs from lifting weights.

True. I would love to go back to Judo but local club seems to one minute have Adult classes and not have them [depending on who you talk to] not the best situation to get motivated to train. My only other alternatives would be to drive down to Waterford or take the bus up to Dublin for one of their clubs.

Judo can only be done on Judo tatami (mats) and they're expensive, running at something like €8500 for a proper size mat area.

The option of using zigsaw mats like some BJJ clubs isn't there for Judoka, it would be far too dangerous to be thrown onto them.

Now I know someone might tell me they know a BJJ club using zigsaw mats for take downs, which I've no doubt there is but at a high level they'd be way too dangerous for Judo throws.

Personally I think jigsaws aren't ideal for Bjj either. Mainly because BJJ/MMA should still involve some amount of impact moves imo.
    I've also always wound up with more friction burns from jigsaws them compared to proper mats. But I don't know if it's a bad surface, or just bad luck.

Jayson Loose Mustache, how large is a proper area for judo? (ie €8500 worth)

Mellor wrote: »
    Personally I think jigsaws aren't ideal for Bjj either. Mainly because BJJ/MMA should still involve some amount of impact moves imo.
    I've also always wound up with more friction burns from jigsaws them compared to proper mats. But I don't know if it's a bad surface, or just bad luck.

Makikomi, how large is a proper area for judo? (ie €8500 worth)

I'm open to correction but I think the minimum competition area is 14m X 14m to a maximum of 18m X 18m.

Its a few years since I priced mats but I know we spent €8500 and I think that was for a training area of 10m X 10m.

Even second hand Judo mats are crazy expensive, and risky if they're not in perfect condition ~ I've dislocated toes on worn mats, you'll turn your ankle on them too esp if you have a mix of old (soft and slow) mats and new (hard and fast) mats, but that said you'd have to be pretty unfortunate but it does happen.

I get what you say about jigsaw mats, they're not ideal and most BJJ clubs I've been in these days are using Judo mats.

That sounds about right. I've fitted out a few gyms this year and we pay about $100au per m2. That's for brand new mats. Prob paying a premium for a brand with a reliable reputation.
    I know what you mean about a mix of old and new too. Or rather my toes know

Maybe I am being a bit naive here; but do the IJA help out with setting up clubs? Are there mats you can borrow from them to get going? The kind of cost you mention is a prohibitive outlay before you even sort out a venue, insurance and get bodies on the mat. Especially for a club run without a mandate for turning a profit!

Other options would be to approach the bjj/MMA places in the area and see if they would be interested in having judo classes on offer in their gym. You never know, I can certainly see the mutual benefit possible. Again maybe my heads in the clouds here. But if there was support and a willing coach I would be happy to take this forward as far as we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Tbh the IJA seems to be less interested in helping clubs than they are in hiking membership fees, cancelling competitions and sending threatening letters.

Alphac wrote: »
    Maybe I am being a bit naive here; but do the IJA help out with setting up clubs? Are there mats you can borrow from them to get going?

I really can't speak for the IJA.

We bought mats for work (Defense Forces Judo Club) so I didn't have to approach the IJA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    True. I would love to go back to Judo but local club seems to one minute have Adult classes and not have them [depending on who you talk to] not the best situation to get motivated to train. My only other alternatives would be to drive down to Waterford or take the bus up to Dublin for one of their clubs.

Theres a new MMA/BJJ club in gorey in Wexford they have Judo classes twice a week as far as I know.

The main guy who runs the club is a Judo Black Belt and a BJJ purple belt.

I can give you the club/his name if that would be closer to you ?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Theres a new MMA/BJJ club in gorey in Wexford they have Judo classes twice a week as far as I know.

The main guy who runs the club is a Judo Black Belt and a BJJ purple belt.

I can give you the club/his name if that would be closer to you ?

Thanks Emmet. That would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

Also, Brazilian jiu jitsu classes in Arklow if that is any benefit? Tuesday and Thursday nights. Arnkell Jiu Jitsu Academy on facebook for more info

DB888 wrote: »
    Also, Brazilian jiu jitsu classes in Arklow if that is any benefit? Tuesday and Thursday nights. Arnkell Jiu Jitsu Academy on facebook for more info

Who runs the classes up there ? Is it one of the ECJJ guys ?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I run it myself (Dean Barry), jiu jitsu purple belt under Darragh O' Conaill.
    We now have a full time facility with classes 7 days per week. Arnkell Jiu Jitsu Academy on facebook

Who runs the classes up there ? Is it one of the ECJJ guys ?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I run it myself (Dean Barry), jiu jitsu purple belt under Darragh O' Conaill.
    We now have a full time facility with classes 7 days per week. Arnkell Jiu Jitsu Academy on facebook

I'm a Blue Belt in Wexford so might head up and jump in for a class whenever I get a chance if that's OK.

Good to roll with a few different bodies.

I'm a Blue Belt in Wexford so might head up and jump in for a class whenever I get a chance if that's OK.

Good to roll with a few different bodies.

Absolutely, more than welcome. We have open mat Saturday and Sunday @11.30 - 1pm. Classes all during the week, whichever suits :)

Absolutely, more than welcome. We have open mat Saturday and Sunday @11.30 - 1pm. Classes all during the week, whichever suits :)

Both could be an option. I'll mention it to a few of the others(mostly white and blues in our club) and see if they want to tag along some day.

• Advertisement

Both could be an option. I'll mention it to a few of the others(mostly white and blues in our club) and see if they want to tag along some day.

Course bring them along, great to have a few new bodies on the mats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement