Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biology to drop or not?

• 26-09-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am in leaving cert and i am hoping to do primary teaching in Dublin. I need 430 ,I am going to drop biology as it is not a entry requirement. With biology I was doing 8 subjects and Lcvp. I am just wondering is biology definitely not required for it ? And if I wasn't to get the points and do arts would biology be needed for that ? What are the options for back doors to primary teaching does anyone know ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

First of all, is biology the only subject you can/want to drop? If you're not struggling with it, I'd keep it on if I were you, as most people find it a very accessible subject with a very doable paper with lots of choice, and consider dropping something that requires more of your efforts. Bottom line of the Leaving Cert; make sure you have your entry requirement subjects at the required levels, aim for the entry requirement grades, and then play your strengths in terms of other subjects to maximise your points.

Assuming you're definitely dropping biology, you definitely won't need biology specifically for either primary teaching or arts. If you're doing another lab science, you'll be covered for definite for arts, but if you're not, just check the entry requirements for the individual course you'd be looking at. The back door into primary teaching involves doing arts first and then another course, but I'm not too sure on the exact process, maybe someone else here can enlighten us :P

Anyway, like I said, please don't drop biology just because it's not a particular requirement for the courses you'd like. If you're struggling with it, or that it's the only subject you can drop because you're doing it outside school, fair enough. If you need to do some research on individual courses http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=16 is really helpful. Good luck! :)

Advertisement