Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants rights

Options
  • 27-09-2015 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Just wondering is it normal. Are landlady seems to let herself into the house without warning. One morning my housemate came downstairs seen the contract for our housemate on the table. We could gather than she let herself in the morning and left it on the table.
    One of the lads is moving out next week, she wanted to do an inspection. That is ok we thought she wanted to inspect that lads room and the house but not anyone else's rooms. So the other two had their rooms locked and I hadn't locked my room. At first their wasn't anyone going to be in the house and she was like that is ok no one needs to be there. Turned out then he be there to show her his room, she wasn't happy that the rooms were locked.
    My housemate texted her and apologise that she didn't know that the rooms needed to be opened and that if she wanted to call during the week she could. She texted back that she told our housemate that she was checking the whole house for any damage and that we need to talk that the next visit isnt a failure.
    Is this normal if a housemate moves out that all he rooms are checked? Are like if the landlady is calling to drop something in does she ring the door bell or can enter the house?
    Thank you

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

usually should give at least 24 hours notice,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

She gave you a weeks notice that she was inspecting the full house, that is absolutely fine and the rooms should not have been locked. She doesn't want to be there and I'd be pissed off as well if I had to go back a second time because I couldn't inspect all the rooms the first time. She dropped something on your table? Are you sure it wasn't picked up off the hallway floor by one of your housemates? It seems very odd that she would formally inform you of an inspection date, yet at the same time let herself into the house. Could this have been put through the letterbox and picked up by someone on their way in the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

davo10 wrote: »
    She gave you a weeks notice that she was inspecting the full house, that is absolutely fine and the rooms should not have been locked. She doesn't want to be there and I'd be pissed off as well if I had to go back a second time because I couldn't inspect all the rooms the first time. She dropped something on your table? Are you sure it wasn't picked up off the hallway floor by one of your housemates? It seems very odd that she would formally inform you of an inspection date, yet at the same time let herself into the house. Could this have been put through the letterbox and picked up by someone on their way in the night before?

It was discussed in the house did someone pick up in the hall way no one did.
    She texted on Tuesday night that she come on Thursday to inspect the housemate room that is moving out. That housemate was talking to her the next day and this is where she informed him about the whole house inspection. He never told us.
    We are not bad tenants when she does come she does be offered a cup of tea or coffee, pay our rent, no problems with neighbours and the house is looked after good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

She cannot enter without your permission, except in the case of emergency. At least 24 hrs notice would be required. If the requested time doesn't suit, you can give her permission to enter without your presence, or you can suggest a time when you will be there.

If she had requested a full-house inspection, then the rooms should have been unlocked. If it was only the room of the departing tenant, then she should have confined herself to that room & public area. As you say, it sounds like there was a breakdown in communication.

It doesn't seem like you have a problem landlord, I think you just need to make sure you're communicating clearly with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

dudara wrote: »
    She cannot enter without your permission, except in the case of emergency. At least 24 hrs notice would be required. If the requested time doesn't suit, you can give her permission to enter without your presence, or you can suggest a time when you will be there.

If she had requested a full-house inspection, then the rooms should have been unlocked. If it was only the room of the departing tenant, then she should have confined herself to that room & public area. As you say, it sounds like there was a breakdown in communication.

It doesn't seem like you have a problem landlord, I think you just need to make sure you're communicating clearly with each other.

Since you are all on separate leases your landlady should ensure that if she wants to inspect the full house she needs to communicate that fact to all her tenants individually! ;)
    There is no collective contract involved here, just as if it was a block of apartments, there would be no onus on any of the tenants to pass on messages on behalf of the landlord. :rolleyes:

You certainly do seem to have a problem landlady!

• Advertisement
Advertisement