Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cap 2 2016

• 27-09-2015 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47

Doing the four subjects starting October.. am a flexible student

Would appreciate any tips or advice from those who have completed them please..

Also would be great to chat and get support from those who will be doing them with me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Picked up my books yesterday, getting real now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 dyanne

s15r330 wrote: »

I haven't got mine yet.. will be getting them all delivered Wed or Thurs!! Do you mind me asking whether you did all of CAP1 or did you have exemptions?

I had exemptions from FA and Tax&Law but having looked at the competency statement for the subjects, I'm going to have to go back and learn some of the CAP1 content in order to get up to speed with CAP2! It hasn't even begun and I'm already behind :-o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

How many books are there? I'm collecting mine tomorrow and am not sure whether to bus it in or drive!

Dyanne I had exemptions from all cap 1. Yeh feeling that way too, but I felt the same before starting college. We'll be fine, just nerves. We'll be back on here congratulating each other on passing the FAE's :D

Mal definitely drive, a lot of large heavy books, I filled a medium sized suitcase and threw it in the boot of the car, I wouldn't fancy carrying it on a bus.

Dyanne I had exemptions from all cap 1. Yeh feeling that way too, but I felt the same before starting college. We'll be fine, just nerves. We'll be back on here congratulating each other on passing the FAE's :D

I like your optimism!! *Reminder to delete this if we fail*

Agree re: the books, if last year's are anything to go by - they're hefty alright and a large awkward sized 'Learning Journal' also .. definitely drive

• Advertisement

Positive attitude is part of the battle! But yeh, i'll set a reminder to come back and delete this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭lightspeed

How many books are there? I'm collecting mine tomorrow and am not sure whether to bus it in or drive!

You will need a suitcase. Im starting at CAP 2 and there were 14 in total. Some include the full IFRS codes and are quite big.

Most people brought suitcases to carry them transport them all. Id drive in if I was you.

I had parked at the National College of Ireland parking lot and was about 15 minute walk. That was around 6:00pm and the only space available was a disabled space that the parking attendant told me I could use.

Silly question, but the lectures that start tomorrow, are they both the same or are they 2 seperate lectures at 9.30 and 1.30?

Silly question, but the lectures that start tomorrow, are they both the same or are they 2 seperate lectures at 9.30 and 1.30?

I think they view it as separate lectures. It's down as session 1 in the morning and session 2 in the afternoon.

I just remembered the other day that I'm doing CAP 2 on a modular basis so my book collection wasn't as heavy as thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I'm doing CAP 2 through distance learning. I noticed that there are some videos under the "recorded sessions" tab on the student page (after you log in). I've tried clicking on them but they just take me to a page that asks me to install microsoft silverlight. I can't seem to progress any further than that page, even after installing the silverlight software. Any ideas whats up? I don't want to miss any streamed lectures.

• Advertisement

Hiya,

Yes, you have to install Internet Explorer or Firefox in order to view the lectures via Microsoft Silverlight - It's a pain really, means you can't watch them on android etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I have the same issue with Sliverlight even when I tried to view it on Internet Explorer. I can view the videos on Firefox alright.

It was raised as an issue in the Cassi CAP 1 report I think, and the institute said they would look at finding ways to make the lectures available on android etc but it doesn't look like its happened yet

I had tried Internet Explorer before posting but it didn't work for me. I've since downloaded Firefox and it works a treat.

How does the distance learning work? Are the lectures live streamed or are the recorded sessions I'm seeing on the system now the lectures I watch? THe timetable seems to suggest that the first Audit & Assurance lecture is Oct 17th so that makes me think that they'll be streamed?

I had tried Internet Explorer before posting but it didn't work for me. I've since downloaded Firefox and it works a treat.

How does the distance learning work? Are the lectures live streamed or are the recorded sessions I'm seeing on the system now the lectures I watch? THe timetable seems to suggest that the first Audit & Assurance lecture is Oct 17th so that makes me think that they'll be streamed?

Apologies, they sent an email saying that Internet Explorer would work, I've always used Firefox too so knew no better than to believe it 😊

I did distance for cap1 and as far as online content is concerned, the recorded sessions was all that was available.. then you had to attend workshops and tutorials also which is what the timetable refers too. I assume you will have to physically attend audit on October 17th.. find out what sessions are covered and watch the recordings associated before you go!

Thanks, wasn't aware I'd have to attend the workshops. For some reason I was under the impression they'd be streamed online.

What exactly do the workshops consist of? And where would I find out which sessions would be covered?

For example, I see there is a workshop Sat 17th for Audit & Assurance, where would I find out which sessions I need to have read/looked at for that workshop?

As far as I know the lectures online are the only ones to be made available. CAI don't have the facilities to stream live. Last year for CAP 1 they recorded the workshops and put them up online afterwards. The lecture sessions were online from the start of the year.

Information about what will be covered in the workshops should be put up online in advance. The workshops focus on the interim exams so they are usually focused on doing past papers and sample questions, personally I think they are worth going to.

Thanks, wasn't aware I'd have to attend the workshops. For some reason I was under the impression they'd be streamed online.

What exactly do the workshops consist of? And where would I find out which sessions would be covered?

For example, I see there is a workshop Sat 17th for Audit & Assurance, where would I find out which sessions I need to have read/looked at for that workshop?

Hiya,

Well it looks to be a different format this year. The entire distance learning course consists of 4/5 workshops per subject whereas last year we only had 1 or 2 workshops in total and the rest were tutorials.

The difference between both, to my knowledge, is that a workshop consists of both a lecture and a tutorial (questions / interaction etc..) whereas a tutorial alone is based on the assumption that you already know the content and is solely questions / interaction based on that content.

Again, going on last year, the timetable laid out what sessions would be covered in each tutorial/workshop but I notice that yours doesn't - You could get in touch with them and ask for some sort of syllabus timetable.

We're all sitting the exams at the same time so I don't understand why the distance course would start later than everyone else, surely you should have been given some guidance on what you should start covering..

dyanne wrote: »
    Hiya,

Well it looks to be a different format this year. The entire distance learning course consists of 4/5 workshops per subject whereas last year we only had 1 or 2 workshops in total and the rest were tutorials.

The difference between both, to my knowledge, is that a workshop consists of both a lecture and a tutorial (questions / interaction etc..) whereas a tutorial alone is based on the assumption that you already know the content and is solely questions / interaction based on that content.

Again, going on last year, the timetable laid out what sessions would be covered in each tutorial/workshop but I notice that yours doesn't - You could get in touch with them and ask for some sort of syllabus timetable.

We're all sitting the exams at the same time so I don't understand why the distance course would start later than everyone else, surely you should have been given some guidance on what you should start covering..

Yeah I rang them up about it, it's a work in progress apparently. They should have it online by the end of the week. They're leaving it quite late given that the first workshop is the following week. I'm assuming the workshops will cover quite a few online sessions so it only leaves a week to get to grips with several hours of video and potentially more book chapters.

Not too thrilled with all the workshops, I'd much prefer to only have to head down to Dublin a few times. I'll have to sort out hotels and return trips. It's going to be an expensive year but I want to pass it first time out so I'll have to get over it.

They're leaving it far too late, seems to be the way though..

There is a huge amount of attendance required isn't there for a distance course - I really don't understand why they can't just release recorded lectures. I studied distance with AITI and that's how they ran it, you only attended 2/3 weekends per year and there was an active online presence so you could ask questions, discuss topics etc.. I had presumed CAI would be the same considering they're affiliated but no...

Any of you attending the Financial Accounting Assessment on Thursday?

Yes unfortunately, I chose Galway.

• Advertisement

Very best of luck to you!! Let us know how you found it please!

I had planned on going but couldn't make it in the end, will do it when it's put up online and self-mark it - if I'm brutal, will get in touch with CAI and try to attend the added workshops!

Very best of luck to you!! Let us know how you found it please!

I had planned on going but couldn't make it in the end, will do it when it's put up online and self-mark it - if I'm brutal, will get in touch with CAI and try to attend the added workshops!

Just out! Was ok, could have been better as always but I answered everything. Passed anyway I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Daisymoo91

Hi

I read someone's comments about the Distance Course. I am currently doing the distance option. Still haven't gotten any information about what has to be covered before we go to the workshops?! Just wondering has anyone any updates on this?

Just out! Was ok, could have been better as always but I answered everything. Passed anyway I reckon.

Glad to hear you're confident you passed!! Rest of the year should be plain sailing now so... :D

Hi Daisymoo, I've a friend who's also doing the distance course this year and she hasn't heard anything either as yet!

I would say it will be a safe bet that you'll at least be covering sessions 1 & 2 though, I'm guessing..

Glad to hear you're confident you passed!! Rest of the year should be plain sailing now so... :D

Hi Daisymoo, I've a friend who's also doing the distance course this year and she hasn't heard anything either as yet!

I would say it will be a safe bet that you'll at least be covering sessions 1 & 2 though, I'm guessing..

Here's hoping!! :D

Maybe someone with some experience of the CAP 2 could answer this.

Realistically, how often would I need to refer to the books we were given? I was at a lecture last week and one of the lecturers (tax) told us that we would need to read the book cover to cover as we could possibly get asked a question on a specific chapter of the book (apparently it had happened last year or the year before). I find this grossly unrealistic. We were given 14 odd books from the institute and there is no way in hell that all of those books (or even half of them) could be fully read given the fact that students will work during the week, attend lectures in the evening and probably be reviewing notes/exam questions at weekends.

My intention had been to watch all lectures, take notes and practice exam questions. I expected to only refer to the book when I couldn't grasp a concept. Am I putting myself at a huge disadvantage by not reading the various books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 TaxPro

Maybe someone with some experience of the CAP 2 could answer this.

Realistically, how often would I need to refer to the books we were given? I was at a lecture last week and one of the lecturers (tax) told us that we would need to read the book cover to cover as we could possibly get asked a question on a specific chapter of the book (apparently it had happened last year or the year before). I find this grossly unrealistic. We were given 14 odd books from the institute and there is no way in hell that all of those books (or even half of them) could be fully read given the fact that students will work during the week, attend lectures in the evening and probably be reviewing notes/exam questions at weekends.

My intention had been to watch all lectures, take notes and practice exam questions. I expected to only refer to the book when I couldn't grasp a concept. Am I putting myself at a huge disadvantage by not reading the various books?

I did CAP 2s last year and passed all first time. The vast majority of books I barely opened - they are only for reference and are definitely not to be read cover to cover. Your time is very limited - exam papers are what your time should be used for mostly, and maybe some time for lecture slides/other notes.

HOWEVER, tax is the one exception. That book you will need to read cover to cover, and sometimes you will have to read the same page more than once until you start to understand it. Tax is the only closed book exam, and therefore is the only "rote learning" type exam. The book is well written, however, so hopefully you won't find it too tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mel7284

Anyone any thoughts on the pre seen material for sfma?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mark_23

I started a thread on it. Check it out.

• Advertisement

How is peoples study going for the mocks if any? I've done very little to be honest. Tax will be a write off with a decent attempt at one question max for me and a lot of people I've spoken to.

How is peoples study going for the mocks if any? I've done very little to be honest. Tax will be a write off with a decent attempt at one question max for me and a lot of people I've spoken to.

It's funny you say that, I've been thinking the exact same thing the last few days. I'm so under prepared for the Tax mocks that I'm wondering if I'll even gain anything by going. I'll likely be twiddling my thumbs after 40 minutes so it's not like I'll even get a chance to get a feeling for the "time pressure" element of the real exams.

I'm tempted to skip the mocks and just concentrate on finishing off the syllabus. In the two weeks I'll be preparing for the mocks, I could easily finish off the syllabus, have a set of revision notes completed and be ready to start practicing past papers. Anyone I have spoken to has encouraged me to sit the tests though so that's giving me big doubts about missing them. On the other hand, I hope to give auditing a good stab and possibly SFMA and FR. I'm not even to bother revising for tax, I'm cutting my losses and concentrating on the other 3 at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rcoffey

i am thinking along the same lines as both of you, don't think i will attend any of the mocks as it is precious study time at this stage as i have very little, well no study done, so I can't see the value I will get out of them, I think they will only add to my stress levels. For the past few weeks I couldn't see past the AA Assessment.

In the same boat here, have done very little to date, attended 2/3 lectures for each subject back in November and nothing then until the Audit Assessment.. I've the special sitting of the SFMA and FR IA on 7th May too, I don't know how I'm going to tackle it all.

Obviously I didn't attend the mocks today, won't be attending next week's either, would be a waste of paper.

I'm guessing it will take me until the end of May to finish all the material and will only then be able to start in to past papers and revision work.. I'm not sure I'll attend the revision week, I've heard it's a waste of time, anybody any opinion on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bailey782

Are the mocks mandatory to sit? I'm only sitting SFMA and FR, but have done so little there's very little point in going to the mocks this weekend, I'd be more productive trying to spend the day doing some study for the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mel7284

the firm you work usually dictate whether the mocks are mandatory or not. To be honest it is a good exercise to attend them, it really does give you a better idea on timing, and gives you a bit kick to get going. You only have to stay a minimum of an hour, you have your notes, so give it a good shot, the result you get will give you the best indication as to what level your at and the level of work you need to be doing on study leave

• Advertisement

Has anyone attended CAP1 Revision week previously? Was it of benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Has anyone attended CAP1 Revision week previously? Was it of benefit?

I went to the Cap 1 revision week last year. I thought it was useful for law in particular, somewhat for tax, lesser for FA and finance and a waste of time for management accounting.

The law lecturer actually went through a little of the theory each time before starting a question so if you hadn't started revising so you still follow along and attempt an answer. Tax was useful just to hear everything in summary and give you an idea of the course contents and approach for the exam. Fin and FR were fine but a little pointless if you hadn't revised as you were basically jotting down the answers. But they were useful again for laying out the contents and what would come up in different questions etc.

I thought MA revision class was a waste of time. We didn't go through the course we just started straight into questions. You were given time to try the question but again if you hadn't started studying you were basically just sitting there.

I would advise if you intend to go to them to use the week before (which if you have the full 5 weeks off should be a study week) to cover briefly each of the 5 subjects so that you can make the full of the revision sessions. Alternatively don't go and use the extra time to study or go to the morning session where they will go through the course and leave at lunch.

I know I could have benefited from the extra study time had I not gone but at the same time the sessions gave me a bit of direction and kinda kick started my studying.

How's the studying going for everyone? What stage are you all at (still getting through syllabus? writing up notes? practicing papers?)

I just finished the syllabus last week (I didn't really attend any lectures, I just watched all the online sessions). I've also written out notes for each session. At the minute I'm gathering all the calculations I'll need (ratios, financial equations, variance equations, etc.) and sticking them on a spreadsheet that I can just take into the exam.By next weekend I hope to have the above all done and hopefully have the various session notes summarized. At that point, I'll be straight in to the past exam questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 odonovan4148

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how people are getting on with study? I have FR and SFMA to do!

FR seems to cover so much material!!

Any tips from anyone?

Thanks guys

How's the studying going for everyone? What stage are you all at (still getting through syllabus? writing up notes? practicing papers?)

I just finished the syllabus last week (I didn't really attend any lectures, I just watched all the online sessions). I've also written out notes for each session. At the minute I'm gathering all the calculations I'll need (ratios, financial equations, variance equations, etc.) and sticking them on a spreadsheet that I can just take into the exam.By next weekend I hope to have the above all done and hopefully have the various session notes summarized. At that point, I'll be straight in to the past exam questions.

I haven't finished watching all the lectures but there's still plenty of time yet.

I'm taking a slightly different approach to notes as well. Based on my experience during the mocks I want to build my notes in response to my needs while doing exam papers rather than building the notes first based on the sessions. I think having them by lecture is rather restrictive and that it would be better to group complimentary topics or ones that tend to come up together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 odonovan4148

Hi Lyra,

Thanks a mill!
    I did the auditing last year and I made my notes as I was doing the exam papers rather than the notes!

For Fr I am going through the notes on the standards your doing the reverse and making notes from doing exam questions?

Havent started SFMA properly yet:(

Hi Lyra,

Thanks a mill!
    I did the auditing last year and I made my notes as I was doing the exam papers rather than the notes!

For Fr I am going through the notes on the standards your doing the reverse and making notes from doing exam questions?

Havent started SFMA properly yet:(

I intend to have a folder of just lecture slides that I will keep on the ground beside my desk for extra information. The folder on my desk for FR will be ordered numerically for each standard - each section will give a brief overview of the essentials of the standards and then the different formats of how the questions might appear in the exam based on past papers. Then I'll have my template section for question 1 and a section entirely for consolidation.

It's hard to say for certain as I have yet to start doing the exam papers which will guide the above.

Is anybody splitting the attempts between June and October sittings? I'm planning on deferring SFMA and FR until the Autumn sitting and I'm wondering how that will affect the SFMA/FR Interim Assessment? (I'm booked into the 7th May assessment) Would that also be deferred until September does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Paulacc

I have just started my study leave and I have a few questions that hopefully someone out there could answer or offer some advice on. Maybe someone who did Cap 2 exams lat year.

1. The exam papers go back to summer 2009. For subjects such as tax, would it be better not to go back as far as 2009 because of all the various tax changes since then?

2. Are past mock papers available online?

3. Are the revision classes worth going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Script Fan

Hi, just wondering if anyone had revision notes they would be able to share/trade. Doing this alone and would really appreciate any help I can get. Best of luck everyone :)

Two weeks today folks, how is everyone getting on?

If I did nothing but SFMA for the next 2 weeks, I still don't think I would pass it 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sureacacap2

Panicking pretty badly right now, and I am only doing SFMA and FR.

Not sure what strategy for studying to stick to now.

I'm doing all 4. Not sure yet how I'm fixed for them. All depends on the questions and my timing. Some days I think I'll be ok, and others, well not so ok.

At the minute I think my weakest are probably FR and Tax. If I can get the reliefs and exemptions to stick in my memory though I should be ok for tax.

What sort of study are people putting in? I'm coming home from work at about 6ish and struggling to put in more than 2.5 hours. I'm hoping I can pick up the slack a little this week. In saying that though, I'd be getting close 16-20 hours combined at the weekend so that'll make-up somewhat for the poor effort during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

Panicking pretty badly right now, and I am only doing SFMA and FR.

Hammer the past papers dude

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DONT PANIC

Does anyone have notes/sample questions on IFRS 15 ? I am repeating FR and I see that IAS 11 and IAS 18 have been replaced by IFRS 15.

• Advertisement
Advertisement