Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Cutra 2016

Options
  • 27-09-2015 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Entries are open at discounted prices here, races are Half, Oly, super-sprints, and kids races. Currently €56 (plus €3 booking) for the Oly.

One of the best-organised day of racing in Ireland IMO.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Je$u$ kurt you're eager :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

mossym wrote: »
    Je$u$ kurt you're eager :)

A few reasons;
    1. Draw a line under 2015 and look forward,
    2. People targeting IM plan months ahead and I don't see why shorter races should be any different,
    3. Lower price may interest young turks licking their wounds from 2015 Cutra ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Entries are open at discounted prices here, races are Half, Oly, super-sprints, and kids races. Currently €56 (plus €3 booking) for the Oly.

One of the best-organised day of racing in Ireland IMO.

When does the early bird finish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

According to their twtter page it could be tonight ...
    https://twitter.com/CastleTriathlon

Message says:
    Remember to book before midnight TONIGHT to get the best possible prices on ALL 2016 Races!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Goes up 15% tomorrow - just signed up to the half, caravan booked in, time to get the finger out again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

In case anyone has any questions there is a Q&A session this evening on Twitter -

https://twitter.com/LoughCutraTri/status/719959612456374273

What did we learn at q&a I missed it ;( is the bike route hilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

neither flat nor hilly i seem to rember 2 medium lenght climbs ( like 6 min or so ? ) the rest more undulating and some longer flat streches quite a bit of bone shaking surface but overall a lovely course me thinks.

Steroo wrote: »
    What did we learn at q&a I missed it ;( is the bike route hilly?

Which race are you doing Steroo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Goes up 15% tomorrow - just signed up to the half, caravan booked in, time to get the finger out again

half

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    half

Haha thanks Peter, missed that.

Steroo as Peter says the course is grand, a couple of dinky hills in it but nothing too long drawn out. Biggest issue is probably the road surface in the Burren being an unsealed surface.

be careful on the run loop for the half.it can get confusing. all the runs go out the same first bit, then the shorter races turn first while the oly and half go on a bit further, then the oly breaks off, but there is, or was in other years, an extra small bit for the half. 500m or so, which with the two loops makes up the extra km for the half.

anyway, jsut bring it up as if you are following people in front of you it could happen you miss the extra bit by accident. they usually have a guy out there shouting at everyone oly left half right anyway but best to keep your wits about you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

be careful on the run loop for the half.it can get confusing. all the runs go out the same first bit, then the shorter races turn first while the oly and half go on a bit further, then the oly breaks off, but there is, or was in other years, an extra small bit for the half. 500m or so, which with the two loops makes up the extra km for the half.

anyway, jsut bring it up as if you are following people in front of you it could happen you miss the extra bit by accident. they usually have a guy out there shouting at everyone oly left half right anyway but best to keep your wits about you

I know a girl that was DQ'd last year for this reason. Ended up confused and taking the wrong run route.

As an aside is it much hassle waiting until that morning to arrive, or is an overnighter recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

Did anyone do the training day? With all the talk of the bad roads for Challenge Galway I'm wondering what the roads will be like for the Gauntlet? And how cold the water really was/

jnk883 wrote: »
    Did anyone do the training day? With all the talk of the bad roads for Challenge Galway I'm wondering what the roads will be like for the Gauntlet? And how cold the water really was/

The roads for Challenge are fine, it is the surface which is an open chip surface for a long stretch of it which is the problem (it won't be changed - that's the Burren surface) They are not fast roads. If it was my choice I'd be on a road bike rather than TT.

Water in Lough Cutra was cold on Saturday ~10 degrees. The beauty of that as a location is with a week of fine weather the temp will go up several degrees in no time. The seas around here will be cold until June / July when the NAD starts kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

sconhome wrote: »
    The roads for Challenge are fine, it is the surface which is an open chip surface for a long stretch of it which is the problem (it won't be changed - that's the Burren surface) They are not fast roads. If it was my choice I'd be on a road bike rather than TT.

Water in Lough Cutra was cold on Saturday ~10 degrees. The beauty of that as a location is with a week of fine weather the temp will go up several degrees in no time. The seas around here will be cold until June / July when the NAD starts kicking in.

Are the roads closed?
    {serious question}

tunney wrote: »
    Are the roads closed?
    {serious question}

I believe partial closure. Yet to hear the traffic management plan.

Biggest issue in N18 as it's main Galway to Limerick road. Coming through Burren unclear. Understand one side closed as buses etc have to get South to Cliffs of Moher, Ballyvaughan etc.

Not gospel, that's as much as I know through feedback locally as no other info available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

catweazle wrote: »

they might both be in galway but i don't think the challenge traffic info will hold true for cutra..:)

they might both be in galway but i don't think the challenge traffic info will hold true for cutra..:)

100% right of course, I misread the question and thought Tunney meant the Challenge route.

Cutra is a similar surface and shares some of the route.

• Advertisement

not 100% sure on the gauntlet, but i don't believe any of the roads were closed for it last year.

for the other distances, it is all on open roads, with the exception of the road that goes along the length of the lake on the east side. that was closed except to residents of the road. it's a pretty poor surface with one stretch of a downhill into a tight turn where they put bales of hay to protect people, that alone should be enough to tell people you should take it easy there. not doing it this year but in the last two years that bit was fine for the first lap as the roads were quiet, but on the second lap for the oly distance the later waves and sprint distances were also on the course and that bit was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I see they are charging entry fee for spectators now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

viperlogic wrote: »
    I see they are charging entry fee for spectators now!!

Really??? We never noticed :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057596620

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Ops, not sure how I missed that thread in my feed

have moved the discussion about the additional fees into the thread linked above, please keep all chat about it to that thread

Is there anywhere to lock up the bikes on the Sat night does anyone know? or will we have to squeeze them into the caravan?

Also is there a gathering afterwards ? local pub? etc

Thanks

Is there anywhere to lock up the bikes on the Sat night does anyone know? or will we have to squeeze them into the caravan?

Also is there a gathering afterwards ? local pub? etc

Thanks

I'll be bringing the caravan too Steroo (weather dependent!). Kids in the tent, bikes in the caravan. At least, thats my plan!

I'd say your bikes will be safe enough at your pitch, its just triathletes that will be camping/caravanning there. I've never stayed a second night previous, but I think the Lady Gregory will have a lot staying over on race night too, bound to be a few pints sunk there (food is decent).

Water temps are 14˚C today, and with a warm few days in store the swim should be a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Water temps are 14˚C today, and with a warm few days in store the swim should be a nice one.

Wonder is it really? Last year they said 13.5°C but there was talk round here that that was a bit optimistic.

• Advertisement

Fog on the lake, visibility very poor, can't see the bouys. Race start pushed back to 8:45 at least (with knock on for later events)

Advertisement