Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Cutra 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Back to a 9am start at least... very foggy here!

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Back to a 9am start at least... very foggy here!

Back to 9:30 start, no improvement. If it hadn't improved by 10 am the swim will be cancelled, 7km run to start instend.

Fog clearing, 9:30 start announced.

Everyone sent back, swim cancelled, Duathlon for the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

any tracking anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Fog lifted swim back on for Olympic and sprint races

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

what's the atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    what's the atmosphere?

Think you have to pay extra for that

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    what's the atmosphere?

Very good buzz around here, can't fault them for that. Very family friendly.

Swim was awesome when the fog lifted, a real shame it didn't go ahead for the half. Cutra people were pushing for it but TI made the call. Safety first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Did my first Olympic... Great event. Swim was lovely. Run was tough.. tired legs and some dodgy underfoot conditions in parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Poxy mist

Steroo wrote: »
    Poxy mist

Its a pity they didn't wait until 10am, it was clearing at that stage. A lot of disappointed Half people. You'd have loved that swim Steroo, if you are staying tonight maybe try a sneaki dip tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Anyone know is there a rule on bear chest in transition after the race. I.e. Your race is over and u are getting your bike back.

Ref dq'd someone for not putting his top on when asked. Lots of others with no tops but not everyone was getting red cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Anyone know is there a rule on bear chest in transition after the race. I.e. Your race is over and u are getting your bike back.

Ref dq'd someone for not putting his top on when asked. Lots of others with no tops but not everyone was getting red cards.

That was my first triathlon ,half way around the 2nd lap I pulled down the top of my tri suit I was boiling! Another competitor told me I could get DQ'd so I swiftly pulled it on again! But as soon as it was over and I was out on the grass I was as naked as possible,loved that summer weather ,great day in the end,I'm hooked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

wasn't racing but we took the kids up to this for the day, some friends of ours came along as well. even not racing was a great day out, in fairness the weather made it, but getting to sit back without the focus of racing lets you see what a well oiled machine the castle series is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

mossym wrote: »
    wasn't racing but we took the kids up to this for the day, some friends of ours came along as well. even not racing was a great day out, in fairness the weather made it, but getting to sit back without the focus of racing lets you see what a well oiled machine the castle series is.

Have to agree Mossey. I thought the castle series people were fantastic. Talk about professional and very fair and friendly. I could see the disappointment on the race directors face when the refs called off the swim.
    Half iron duathlon just does not have the same ring to it but what can you do.
    That being said I wont be back however. And only because of one reason....the run course....terrible....rocks.....muck trails and running on steep side angles for large parts of it. Perfect run course for an adventure race. Bring back Tri an Mhi Half! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Mr Tango wrote: »

Yes you are not allowed bare chest in transition. Take your wetsuit off and no top. DQ.

Was uproar a few years back in Westport about the same thing. Was even on Joe Duffy show!!

sconhome wrote: »
    Yes you are not allowed bare chest in transition. Take your wetsuit off and no top. DQ.

Was uproar a few years back in Westport about the same thing. Was even on Joe Duffy show!!

Its a bit power-mad to extend this already stupid rule to after the race has finished though, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think TI officials and Race Director wanted the swim to proceed, it was my understanding that the IWS head marshall called it off. In fairness you could not see much of the lake from the side.

I actually witnessed one of our club mates get the red card for that "topless situation" after his race was finished. The ref was nothing short of a power tripping loon. He had great delight in telling one of his colleagues.

• Advertisement

Its a bit power-mad to extend this already stupid rule to after the race has finished though, no?

Bit daft after the race alright but thems' the rules, its still transition.

What about having o have your helmet fastened when touching your bike. Does that apply in transition after the race too?

Very over the top. Race is over and people are picking up their gear. I know it's a rule during the race. Find it hard to believe the rules continue on when the race is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Stupid rule in the first place, but I guess the official took the view that transition was still "live" as other races were still ongoing. I actually took care to limit my exposure as the TI official was standing 20 feet away from me and I was unsure if rule would still apply.

It was great that we could retrieve our gear from transition before other races finished, but in saying that I was impeded on my run out by a queue of several people leaving with their bikes.

Disappointing about the swim - I guess those with a few half's under their belt would take it more philosophically than first timers like myself. I was forewarned of the trail conditions on the run course but it was a lot more undulating than I expected. A good test of stamina, especially in the heat!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

sconhome wrote: »
    Yes you are not allowed bare chest in transition. Take your wetsuit off and no top. DQ.!

Is this for all Tri's? I was not aware as a newbie that the "nudity" rule extended to this. Good to know.

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Is this for all Tri's? I was not aware as a newbie that the "nudity" rule extended to this. Good to know.

Only in pool tris are men allowed to be bare chested in transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Was uproar a few years back in Westport about the same thing. Was even on Joe Duffy show!![/QUOTE]

I was at that race and the competitor in question who exposed herself was a lady doing her first Triathlon. I think she flashed a bit of flesh for all of 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Its a pity they didn't wait until 10am, it was clearing at that stage. A lot of disappointed Half people. You'd have loved that swim Steroo, if you are staying tonight maybe try a sneaki dip tomorrow morning.

I know , another 15 mins and we would have been ok. I was gutted and wasn't really committed to the duathlon. It's a long drive with a caravan for a duathlon you could do at home. But at least nobody got lost swimming in the mist.

I was tempted this morning! But my sun burn was too bad and hangover was rough.:: it probably would have cured both ;)

Good to meet u

Mist was unfortunate. I think they waited as long as they could. Had to call it at some point. And was right call at that time.

Don't know if the same happened again what I would do. Feel deflated after not having the swim (my strong bit) but still fell sore today!!! Not the same level of satisfaction. Makes it a totally different race.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Agree with most of the posters above - swim needed to be cancelled on safety grounds - but it was a pain waiting around until 10:40 for those of us in wave 2 (OAP group) to get going. Made it a long time after brekkie and I'm sure a few bonked on the bike as a result...

Agree about the run course too - it was my second year doing the half here, and don't remember the run being as tough as it was. For those doing it next year, definitely run a few trails as part of your training for this. Up and down short hills, tricky underfoot conditions, cow ****, loose cobbles, mud and that short grass downhill section after the castle was tricky!

Weather was great - and the majority of the run was well shaded which was a bonus - and the atmosphere as others have said was really good.

Second time doing a half where the swim has been cancelled, and you have to credit to the organizers, they faired much better than the "Eireman" team back in Wexford that day! Very professional setup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I see they intend to run this over 2 days next year - good call as it should reduce chances of cancelled swims, knock on delays, congestion in transition, and marshalls and resources being too thinly stretched.

See what happened in Athy when they went from 2 to one day event last year!

A one day festival might suit spectators, but is always asking for trouble unless absolutely everything runs to plan.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement