Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from Vista to Windows 7

• 27-09-2015 3:22pm

Hi all, I'm not great at computers, and have never changed an OS before.

I need to upgrade from Vista to 7 so I can download Autocad for college.

I did the upgrade advisor and below is the report:
    Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report
    Computer Name:
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
    Memory: 3.0 GB

Devices Status Details
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    ATI Technologies Inc. Not compatible The driver installed for this device is not compatible with Windows 7.
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Broadcom Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.

Programs Status Details
    ATI Catalyst Install Manager
    version 3.0.682.0
    ATI Technologies, Inc. Reinstall after upgrade Before upgrading to Windows 7, we recommend uninstalling this program. It can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.
    Catalyst Control Centre
    version 2.0.0.0
    ATI Technologies Inc. Reinstall after upgrade Before upgrading to Windows 7, we recommend uninstalling this program. It can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.
    Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software
    version 12.03.0000
    Intel(R) Corporation Reinstall after upgrade Before upgrading to Windows 7, we recommend uninstalling this program. It can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.

JPG to PDF Converter 1.0
    version 1.0 Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    Get a paid update to a compatible version

Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
    version 7.0.1
    Macromedia Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.

Macromedia Extension Manager
    version 1.5
    Macromedia Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.

Macromedia Flash MX 2004
    version 7.0

MagicDisc 2.7.106 Reinstall after upgrade Before upgrading to Windows 7, we recommend uninstalling this program. It can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.
    Mindjet MindManager 8
    version 8.0.235
    Mindjet LLC Update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    Get an update to a compatible version

Nikon Transfer
    version 1.1.1
    Nikon Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    Get a free update to a compatible version

VLC Streamer 1.50 Update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    Get an update to a compatible version

Xmarks for IE
    version 127.0.160
    Xmarks Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    Get a free update to a compatible version

My big concern are the ones in bold. Will I be able to get back online if I do this upgrade?

What should my next step be? Should I back up photo's, docs etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's your graphics driver, Windows update will update that for you after you upgrade. You'll find the display may be the wrong resolution and appear all blocky until it's updated but it will run fine other than that

The other is the wireless card driver, plug in on Ethernet while you're doing the upgrade and Windows update will find it

Thank you! Do I need to back up photo's and docs as well?

And does it matter that there's 3 profiles on this laptop (me, gf and mate)? I take it their profiles will use windows 7 after I do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

And does it matter that there's 3 profiles on this laptop (me, gf and mate)? I take it their profiles will use windows 7 after I do this?

You should use this opportunity to back them up anyway, you have no security depending on a copy on a mechanical drive that could pack in if you had an accident and dropped it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

ALWAYS back up your stuff when doing anything like an OS upgrade. It saves a lot of tears if something should go wrong!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If possible, I'd recommend taking an image of the entire disk before you do the upgrade as this means you can roll back if need be. Personally I've been quite happy with Acronis True Image - if you have a Western Digital or Maxtor drive in your computer you could use the free branded version. If you want more help on this let me know and I'll provide more details.

Once you've got the update installed, you can pop along here and download an updated driver for your graphics card if it doesn't sort itself out automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 BarJustas

It is possible to Upgrade from Vista to Windows 10 for free ? If i have original windows vista

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

BarJustas wrote: »
    It is possible to Upgrade from Vista to Windows 10 for free ? If i have original windows vista

No, the free Windows 10 upgrade is only available if you are on Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.

Advertisement