Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best surf in Ireland?

Options
  • 27-09-2015 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

I was in lahinch this weekend and left disappointed due to the lack of waves, this is the third time its happened...I am a beginner but can still handle big size waves..Can anyone recommend anywhere else? I've given up on Lahinch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Lahinch can be really good in the right conditions. You need to understand the swell conditions, direction and tides to make the most of a trip to any beach or reef break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Lahinch can be really good in the right conditions. You need to understand the swell conditions, direction and tides to make the most of a trip to any beach or reef break.

i have probably been spoilt, having spent time on the gold coast in oz

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Opps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

It all depends on if you're looking for slabs,point breaks or beach breaks...

Clare,Sligo and Donegal have the best of both worlds.

I think you're hitting Lahinch at the wrong times, Cornish has a great wave.

You need a westerly or south west swell of 4 foot plus, along with a 14 second plus period between each wave,combined with offshore or glassy conditions.

Magicseaweed or Surfforecast are usually ok 4 or 5 stars....

It all depends on if you're looking for slabs,point breaks or beach breaks...

Clare,Sligo and Donegal have the best of both worlds.

I think you're hitting Lahinch at the wrong times, Cornish has a great wave.

You need a westerly or south west swell of 4 foot plus, along with a 14 second plus period between each wave,combined with offshore or glassy conditions.

Magicseaweed or Surfforecast are usually ok 4 or 5 stars....

thank you..what is the cornish wave? newquay?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

You're definitely a newbie,I should have explained myself better.

There to the left of the surfshop in lahinch there's a series of reefs and the locals call it the Cornish reef.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Read the stuff about forecasting surf in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828999

Once you know how to interpret a surf forecast and know what works for your chosen spot you'll rarely be disappointed when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Iv head good things of down by the cliffs of Moher, that seems to get big waves.
    And most definitely NOT for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

SeanF wrote: »
    And most definitely NOT for beginners.

No. ****ing. ****. Sherlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Base yourself in Sligo or south Donegal for a weekend and you're pretty much guaranteed to get decent waves somewhere nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's no need for the aggression, and the sarcasm on your first reply was pretty unhelpful too. If someone asks for advice and you don't feel like giving any best just not to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

The original post was pretty clear about being a beginner. I'd say he won't be surfing Aileens any time soon, so I don't think you really needed to refer to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Enniscrone in Sligo or Rosnowlagh above Bundoran in Donegal are both fairly harmless beaches that both get good waves. Your problems is that you need to read up of forecasting and when is good.

Sorry don't want to come across as an ass but you get lots of people looking be spoon feed knowledge because they can't be bothered to learn it themselves, till you put some effort in you won't get much respect.

Where do you live, seek out your local club?

Enniscrone in Sligo or Rosnowlagh above Bundoran in Donegal are both fairly harmless beaches that both get good waves. Your problems is that you need to read up of forecasting and when is good.

Sorry don't want to come across as an ass but you get lots of people looking be spoon feed knowledge because they can't be bothered to learn it themselves, till you put some effort in you won't get much respect.

Where do you live, seek out your local club?

I live in london, so i usually have to book things in advance, I'm off to biarritz in a few weeks for a surf camp, so that should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

lufties wrote: »
    I live in london, so i usually have to book things in advance, I'm off to biarritz in a few weeks for a surf camp, so that should be good.

If you live in London and have to catch a plain then get flight to warmer places, Zarautz in N Spain, or San Sebastian are good. Also look at Portugal Morocco....

and join this http://www.londonsurfclub.com/

If you live in London and have to catch a plain then get flight to warmer places, Zarautz in N Spain, or San Sebastian are good. Also look at Portugal Morocco....

and join this http://www.londonsurfclub.com/

cheers for that, hope to join this club after my trip to biarritz

Advertisement