Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wholesale suppliers of sportswear

Options
  • 27-09-2015 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone im considering starting a business in my local town selling sportswear and footwear also small sports accessories such as mouth guards hurly grips sliotars goalie gloves etc...there is no sports shop within an hours drive so I think theres potential...im wondering does anyone know any irish based wholesalers that can supply branded sports clothing and footwear etc...everything im finding is uk based and id like to buy irish but also the pound/euro exchange rate is killing me. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Tried Oneills ?? https://www.oneills.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

don't want to diss the idea, but there's probably a reason why there's no sports shop in the local area - the business simply is not there.

Also, i can't think of anywhere of decent population in Ireland that is more than an hour (about 100km) from a sports shop.

In addition, all these items are also available online.

Many years ago (before internet was even a word!) I was a rep for a sports distribution company selling exactly what you are describing. I called to all the sports stores west of the shannon from Donegal to Cork and even back then, the small shops did very small business and were always struggling. Most are long closed now.

Think - how many sports players in your locality. How many mouth guards will they use a year?

How many of them do not visit a "shopping town"?

Example - Waterville, nearest shopping town Killorglin or Killarney (both about an hour away). Cahirciveen 15 minutes away.

Sports shop in Cahirciveen closed down a couple of months ago because business simply was not there. - And it was part of petrol station/spar shop. so didn't even have the normal overheads of a regular shop and had all the main brands.

Most people in that area will visit Killorglin/Killarney/Tralee at least every couple of months.

When you look at the costs, (rent, rates, utilities, wages, stock cost etc) it just doesn't add up unless you are ina main population centre.

Advertisement