Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop with SSD & 4GB RAM for <€400?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You most get a hybrid SSD but I doubt you'd get a full SSD for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's easily possible if you add your own SSD. That Argos laptop is really slow. This one is cheaper but also literally twice as fast.

Lenovo B50 i3-4005 - €349

120GB Hyper FuryX SSD - €56

If you really want to keep it well under €400 there's also this, and its still much better than the Argos one.

Lenovo B50 Pentium 3805U - €323

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

It's easily possible if you add your own SSD. That Argos laptop is really slow. This one is cheaper but also literally twice as fast.

If you really want to keep it well under €400 there's also this, and its still much better than the Argos one.

Stupid question, but would that SSD definitely work instantly with the laptop, with no issues? I'm assuming that the laptop would come with the Windows 8 disc- upgradable to Windows 10 instantly.

Also, seeing as that SSD is only €56- is there a reason why buying a laptop with a SSD is always much more expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

frankled wrote: »
    Stupid question, but would that SSD definitely work instantly with the laptop, with no issues? I'm assuming that the laptop would come with the Windows 8 disc- upgradable to Windows 10 instantly.

Also, seeing as that SSD is only €56- is there a reason why buying a laptop with a SSD is always much more expensive?

OEMs charge too much for SSDs, and only tend to put them in more premium units.

You probably wont get a disk with it nowadays, make or download your own.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    OEMs charge too much for SSDs, and only tend to put them in more premium units.

You probably wont get a disk with it nowadays, make or download your own.

Brilliant, thanks.

So just to clarify- that laptop and SSD listed above will work seamlessly together- is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yes as that laptop has a standard sata hard disk so an SSD like the one listed will fit in no problem
    only if that laptop had an SSD already that could be msata would it be a problem

Skerries wrote: »
    yes as that laptop has a standard sata hard disk so an SSD like the one listed will fit in no problem
    only if that laptop had an SSD already that could be msata would it be a problem

Brilliant thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Does the laptop price €349 above come with Microsoft Excel and Word as standard?

I was very close to buying the dell below but as long as I'm not missing something they look to be nearly the same. Can anyone advice:

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/pd?oc=cn55821&model_id=inspiron-15-5558-laptop

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It will work seamlessly, but you will have to reinstall windows from usb, assuming it doesn't come with an installation disk. Not hard, just FYI.

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm not great with this stuff but is it not just turn it on and theres excel ready to go when you click on it?

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15...15-5558-laptop

does this laptop come with excel etc. or will that cost more?

Does the laptop price €349 above come with Microsoft Excel and Word as standard?

I was very close to buying the dell below but as long as I'm not missing something they look to be nearly the same. Can anyone advice:

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/pd?oc=cn55821&model_id=inspiron-15-5558-laptop
    Sorry I'm not great with this stuff but is it not just turn it on and theres excel ready to go when you click on it?
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15...15-5558-laptop

does this laptop come with excel etc. or will that cost more?

The machine comes with a trial of MS Office I think- but would not have full Excel ready to go. Either way, you would have to pay for Excel to use it properly.

Thanks - I got someone to explain that yesterday - I ended up buying a dell laptop but was pretty disappointed when they sent confirmation back to me that it wouldn't be delivered for over 2 weeks. I was hoping if I ordered it yesterday it would be here by end of the week! :(

Advertisement