Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC in a Drawer

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

EDIT: Just had a better idea - more info to follow.

So got the Motherboard from Komplett - excellent service I must say.

Any suggestions on the prices for the current tower with a bay res and pump, 360mm mounted rad in the top, 120mm rad at the back and the 200mm front mounted rad, basically a setup good to go - I'll clean it up a bit obviously. I'll throw in the fittings and tubing. 360mm mount was a bit of a bodge job but works fine and you don't see it. Fans are 4x 120mm Corsair low noise jobbies with the white surround to go with the case and a 200mm lighty up thing. Oh also a cold cathode in the top.

So the wife took one look at it an nicknamed it Frankenstien and admittedly there is a huge amount of tidying up to do. Not least I need a mini DP to DP connector so I can get the monitor cable through the hole the USB and audio extension are running through.

Please don't judge too harshly - very much a work in progress.

367803.jpg

The next steps are to pull the SSD and HDD off the back wall and mount them out of the way and tidy up the cabling once I get the mini DP cable I need and a USB hub.

Once I've done that I need to buy an internal reservoir (using a bay res and pump at the moment) and a 240mm rad. If anyone has these lying about do me a favour and throw them up on adverts.ie if you want to sell them please :)

Once it's complete there will be a 240mm rad intake, and a 360mm rad (which you can see) at the front of it all. There's a piece of wood that needs to go back in which I'm going to cut and grill with 3x LED fans like the pics that inspired the build.

I luckily ended up selling the ATX board as the mATX was a much better fit!

A problem I've run into which I'm not sure how to fix is I need 6 fan headers and I only have 4. Any suggestions?

Is it safe to run three fans off one header; as that's what I'm doing at the moment, with an splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Unless you've got stupid-high RPM fans, you're grand. If you're using PWM ones, sometimes the RPM detection can go nuts, but they'll all work.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Unless you've got stupid-high RPM fans, you're grand. If you're using PWM ones, sometimes the RPM detection can go nuts, but they'll all work.

Going to be looking for quiet ones so I assume they're low RPM. I take it LEDs shouldn't be too much of an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nah. When I say stupid-high RPM, I'm talking 6K+ server ****e. You'd have to hook up eight or more sub-1000RPM fans to come close to what a header can provide.

This thing has my heart and wallet broken (although that was more to do with the Dell 34" Ultrawide I bought!).

After dropping my bay res and smashing the pump I bought a separate pump, but the barbs were too small. I also had massive problems with filling the bloody thing so I've ordered a new bay res and pump.

The good news is I've finally cracked the design. I'm building the PC into a removable wooden frame with everything mounted on it. I spent ages trying to name this new invention before realising what I'd come up with was a fecking drawer!

At the moment I've literally a rad hanging from a hook in the ceiling. More pics once I tidy it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I spent ages trying to name this new invention before realising what I'd come up with was a fecking drawer!

PMSL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

So some tidying up still to be done, including painting the holes for the 200mm rad, but overall happy with how it turned out.

m0f067scv

o7x2h7x5x

d1cwirnrx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

So some tidying up still to be done, including painting the holes for the 200mm rad, but overall happy with how it turned out.

m0f067scv

o7x2h7x5x

d1cwirnrx

The site is broken so your images don't work, can you upload them somewhere else, I'm curious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

The site is broken so your images don't work, can you upload them somewhere else, I'm curious

The links seem to be slightly wrong so here they are.

http://postimg.org/image/m0f067scv
    http://postimg.org/image/o7x2h7x5x
    http://postimg.org/image/d1cwirnrx

Nice job squeezing it in Mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

That is impressive. Good job

Advertisement