Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value way to get around London?

Options
  • 27-09-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Going over to London to see U2 gig on Monday 26th October.Getting in early and leaving later on the Tuesday so will prob do a bit of exploring on the Monday and possibly on the Tuesday....depending on the hangover!
    Whats the best way to explore London?I'm reading about Oyster cards but not sure if they'll suit us. It does say that contactless payment cards are good value,I have one of those,will it work in London?or will I get hit with currency conversion fees every time I use it on the Tube?Is there a 48 hour travel card that I can use on the Tube and buses?Also would like it to get us out,and in, from the O2 the evening of the gig.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The best value is always an oyster card. There is a £5 fee for getting a card but this is refundable when you return it to a select number of stations. I have no idea where the returns are accepted anymore.

You can use your contactless card but you will be charged a foreign transaction fee by your bank once per day. Tfl charge your card once per day regardless of how much you travel in that day.

Or you buy a travel card for the zones you want to travel in that day.

All 3 options work on buses and trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Thanks. I'm getting the stansted express into the city so I might be able to pick up an oyster card there.

Advertisement