Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Killaloe/Ballina?

• 27-09-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

We are thinking of moving to Killaloe/ Ballina and are looking for advice and help. Can you please try and answer any of these.
    * We are looking for a lakeside property with a mooring.
    * Need to know about primary schools in the area and what they are like.
    * Looking for a bus route into Limerick (preferably O'Connells Avenue)
    *Is there a computers/coding club?
    *Is there a scouts club and whats it like?
    *Is there a Tae Kwon Do/ Matial Arts club, classes?
    *Is there an athletics club?
    Any other advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

We are thinking of moving to Killaloe/ Ballina and are looking for advice and help. Can you please try and answer any of these.
    * We are looking for a lakeside property with a mooring.
    * Need to know about primary schools in the area and what they are like.
    * Looking for a bus route into Limerick (preferably O'Connells Avenue)
    *Is there a computers/coding club?
    *Is there a scouts club and whats it like?
    *Is there a Tae Kwon Do/ Matial Arts club, classes?
    *Is there an athletics club?
    Any other advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Are you looking to rent or buy?
    Killaloe has a boys national school and girls national school.
    Ballina has a mixed one but getting a child in there is difficult as classrooms are full.
    There are morning, afternoon and evening buses into Limerick City.
    Don't know about computers/coding.
    There is a scouts club.
    There is a taekwondo club.
    There is a kids athletic club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 misspiggy123

killwill wrote: »
    Are you looking to rent or buy?

We are looking to buy. Thanks for you help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Killwill has covered things very well.

Killaloe/Ballina auctioneers.

Clare Tipp Properties

http://claretipp.ie/

Harry Brann

http://www.harrybrann.com/

Lots of sports and recreational activities take place in Clarisford Park

http://clarisfordpark.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

* Raheen Steiner school is about 15 minutes from Killaloe, near Tuamgraney.
    Brigid's Hearth Pre-Steiner school is also near Tuamgraney.
    * Lot's of people commute to Limerick City so you might be able to arrange a car pool. Try Getthere.ie.
    * There is a very good tennis club
    There is also a vibrant and progressive Community garden near the Tennis club.

Welcome to Killaloe:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

There is a CoderDoJo in St Annes (The secondary school in Killaloe)

https://zen.coderdojo.com/dojo/ie/saint-annes-community-college-clarisford-killaloe-co-clare/killaloe-co-clare

Don't know anything about it, but now that I know it's there, I think I might check it out myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

I actually just put down a deposit on a rental in Harbour Village in Killaloe yesterday. Seems like a lovely town, can't wait to see it in person (I'm moving to Ireland from the US in a couple of weeks). :)

Out of curiosity, how is the commute to Raheen down the M7/M20, anyway? Doesn't look like there's too much traffic on that route, from what I've seen. I suppose there will probably be a long wait crossing the bridge, but being from Atlanta I'm used to sitting at countless traffic lights for ages during my commute anyway, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

What are some good quiet pubs around town? Any places with regular trad sessions? How's the local farmer's market? Which summertime swarms are more annoying, the tourists or the midges? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

dennyk wrote: »
    I actually just put down a deposit on a rental in Harbour Village in Killaloe yesterday. Seems like a lovely town, can't wait to see it in person (I'm moving to Ireland from the US in a couple of weeks). :)

Out of curiosity, how is the commute to Raheen down the M7/M20, anyway? Doesn't look like there's too much traffic on that route, from what I've seen. I suppose there will probably be a long wait crossing the bridge, but being from Atlanta I'm used to sitting at countless traffic lights for ages during my commute anyway, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

What are some good quiet pubs around town? Any places with regular trad sessions? How's the local farmer's market? Which summertime swarms are more annoying, the tourists or the midges? :D

Hey DennyK.
    The commute to Raheen is short and sweet. Straight on to the motorway at Birdhill and you will be there anywnere between 20-30mins.

The bridge is not too bad at all. There are obviously busier times such as the 5.30 to 6.30 in the evening and on sunny days in the summer alot of people will come from Limerick etc.
    Once you get used to the area you could get off at the Castletroy exit on your way home, take the N7 to Daly's Crss and go the backroad to Killaloe. Avoiding the traffic lights completely.

Quiet pubs are town? I like Flanagan's but it is very budsy for food on the weekends. Liam O'Riain's is a great older style pub. No shortage of pubs anyway thats for sure!!!

Plus being so close to Limerick you can head in there for some good trad sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Thanks, good to hear. Was thinking that cutting through O'Briensbridge might be a good alternate route myself, if the Killaloe bridge really is quite a mess for some reason.

Good thing is, having found a place to rent already I have a couple mostly free weeks to explore before I start the new job. Gonna be fun!

Advertisement