Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnecting HKC Securewatch sensors

Options
  • 27-09-2015 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I've bought a place with a HKC securewatch alarm fitted, which seems to work fine.

I'm getting some of the windows replaced this week and need to disconnect the sensors. While I'll get an installer in to sort out the alarm after the windows go in, I haven't had time
    to sort it out yet (life has been hectic). I'm pretty comfortable with electronics generally but am very short of time. I'm not bothered about the alarm being unavailable for a week while this is going on.

So quick question: If I dismount the sensors (and disconnect if needs be if I can't tape them out of the way), is some kind of anti-tamper alarm going to go off? Can this be disabled with the normal code, and can I disable it in advance? I don't want a scenario where the alarm is going off continually and I can't turn it off!

Any advice appreciated!

Also if anyone who has got work done in south co. dublin recently can recommend (by PM) an installer who quotes a reasonable price I'd be grateful. It's just for 2 windows and a door.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can disconnect the sensors & disarm the system using your regular user code. To disable the alarm you would need the engineer code. Most good engineers would be able to reset this system for you when you are getting the system reconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gavjd

Thanks for the quick response!

So if I disconnect (which looks likely as the wires have been run through holes drilled in the window for one of the sensors), the tamper will go off, and I just key in the user code to disarm?

I presume the sensors are on a low voltage circuit. New windows will be white on the inside (casings on those being replaced are brown), so I was thinking I might just cut the cables at the sensor housing for the most awkward one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Yes they are indeed low voltage so no fear of an electric shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gavjd

Did it this evening - pretty straightforward. Needed a square head screwdriver (which had been used to secure the contacts and base of the sensor housing), a small flat head screwdriver for the sensor casing, and a micro screwdriver for those where cable runs meant I had to disconnect. The alarm just beeped periodically when the tamper went off, normal user code stopped this. The biggest pain was actually the staples which had been used to secure the cables to the window frame. Used a small wire cutter, but difficult not to damage the cable.

Thanks to the posters above for the advice.

Advertisement