Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prices

Options
  • 28-09-2015 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

im payng 65 week for full livery ,yard only open 5 days. Good facilities (when arena not being used) people telling me that's expensive for 5 day access.

any views?

Is grass livery , basically full , without stable for horse? (General view I am looking for) I know each yard different. thanks

(Meath Border Area)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think that depends on where you are based. only 5 day access would annoy me though because I would want to ride on weekends too, so personally that would put me off. Plus what happens if I need to treat my horse for an injury and I can't get access?

I have paid anywhere from 80 per week full livery in Allenwood Kildare to 145 in Enniskerry in Dublin, all with weekend access and evening opening during the week.

I'm currently paying 90 per week for full livery which IMHO is top class in South Dublin and everything is included. I'm considering myself lucky because the prices of other yards some with a lesser service is 20 - 70 quid more locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Price aside, I don't think anyone should be restricted access to their own horse. I understand yards have to close in the evenings so horses can rest but outside of that I don't think it's right.

I have to agree with Ah Yeah, I don't think restricting access to your horse is right at all.

Is your horse stabled or on grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Kamili wrote: »
    I have to agree with Ah Yeah, I don't think restricting access to your horse is right at all.

Is your horse stabled or on grass?

We have access to a stable ( not used) just to put him in when putting saddle on etc but he is out on grass nearby otherwise. It's unfair on young lad ok especially on a Sunday when he has no school . Thanks for reply

We have access to a stable ( not used) just to put him in when putting saddle on etc but he is out on grass nearby otherwise. It's unfair on young lad ok especially on a Sunday when he has no school . Thanks for reply

In that case, for where you are, unless the facilities and care are top of the range, I would say you're paying too much.

• Advertisement

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    In that case, for where you are, unless the facilities and care are top of the range, I would say you're paying too much.

yeah I have to agree, for your location you could get grass livery with access 7 days a week for less maybe 40 or so if you shop around. There are plenty of yards advertised on done deal that offer that. I think it is far too much for what you have, particularly as you don't always get access to the arena too.

yeah I have to agree, for your location you could get grass livery with access 7 days a week for less maybe 40 or so if you shop around. There are plenty of yards advertised on done deal that offer that. I think it is far too much for what you have, particularly as you don't always get access to the arena too.

Agree - surely the fact that you're on grass livery means you could have access to your pony, would they not give you a key to use the arena? It's mad that you don't have it on Sundays which is one of two days kids actually have time to spend with their ponies, grooming etc. What about people who want to go to shows?

sure for a score extra you could get full livery, horse stabled at night, out during the day, mucked out and fed with full use of facilities 7 days a week..

sure for a score extra you could get full livery, horse stabled at night, out during the day, mucked out and fed with full use of facilities 7 days a week..

I have made up my mind to move all the posts above are correct. I feel really bad that young lad has no access Monday's Sunday's .... Being there too early or late in evening is allowed but frowned upon also lot of pressure for lessons .... Lessons .... It's way over the top ... Thanks for all your very interesting replies. I am in the locale of johnstownbridge / donadea - any ideas of yards out that way? 70/80 week max but looking for a bit of reasonable flexibility ... Many thanks paddy

Best of luck with the move! I hope you find somewhere nice.

There is a yard in Donadea called Donadea stables. hopefully a google search would bring them up for you. However I don't know much about them or how much they charge unfortunately. They are on facebook too, they might be worth looking into.

If you do a search for livery on donedeal you should come up with some options hopefully.

Edit: a quick google search came up with this - again I have no details on them and know very little

http://rosecottagestables.webs.com/livery.htm

• Advertisement

thks very much , that place closed for livery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Just a quick question on this, I hope you don't mind. But is DIY livery basically where you rent a stable/place to keep your horse and everything is is up to you to do?

DIY is do it yourself, so you need to supply bedding, feed and hay yourself, muck out, and turn out/ bring them back in from the fields.

Basically all you get is a stable and nothing else. You need to check what is included or not in the package as it can vary per yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Perfect thanks. We have stables and sand arena and three post and rail fenced paddocks and I wanted to search to see the going rate in the area. But we want to make sure that we have absolutely no responsibility for any horses housed - that it is up to the owners to look after them, but i wasn't sure what I was searching for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

sounds very expensive. You can normally get grass livery from about €50 per week in that sort of area and usually grass livery would be in yards open 6 - 7 days a week. Most places I know also would let you use the arena for that price.

I also know one place that does part DIY for €80 a week where you have a stable and they feed the horse and you just do your own turnout and mucking out.

Its odd for a yard to be closed for two days especially with one of those days being at the weekend so I do think you are paying a lot at the moment

sounds very expensive. You can normally get grass livery from about €50 per week in that sort of area and usually grass livery would be in yards open 6 - 7 days a week. Most places I know also would let you use the arena for that price.

I also know one place that does part DIY for €80 a week where you have a stable and they feed the horse and you just do your own turnout and mucking out.

Its odd for a yard to be closed for two days especially with one of those days being at the weekend so I do think you are paying a lot at the moment

Your correct I'm just about to move shortly its rediculous really feel for young lad. Thks

Let us know how you get on, would love to hear that you've found somewhere nice and pony and son are happy :)

Let us know how you get on, would love to hear that you've found somewhere nice and pony and son are happy :)

Sure will do.

Sure will do.

Moved over to county Kildare ! Full livery everyday as and when you want less emphasis on money money ... Hope it will be a positive move I feel it will be thks for all advice

Paddy

Moved over to county Kildare ! Full livery everyday as and when you want less emphasis on money money ... Hope it will be a positive move I feel it will be thks for all advice

Paddy
    Whereabouts did you go to if you don't mind me asking? Lots of fab yards in Kildare, and I'm sure you'll see the positives in no time. Well done 😊

• Advertisement

Prefer not to say here.... I hope it works out ..... This place seems to more .... Interested in just people just doing their thing .... Without pressure for lessons etc... Fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

That's great news hope it all works out well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Best of luck with the move! I hope you find somewhere nice.

There is a yard in Donadea called Donadea stables. hopefully a google search would bring them up for you. However I don't know much about them or how much they charge unfortunately. They are on facebook too, they might be worth looking into.

If you do a search for livery on donedeal you should come up with some options hopefully.

Edit: a quick google search came up with this - again I have no details on them and know very little

http://rosecottagestables.webs.com/livery.htm

Rosecottage has closed down unfortunately (I did that webpage for them years ago) Im currently in clonfert equestrian that's in Laragh around 10 mins from donedea. It's a nice big yard, 2 arenas, lunge arena, 100 acres of turn out etc.

I think there is another nearby donadea stables. don't know much about them tho ...

How are you getting on in the new place? Is the young fella happier? :)

Advertisement