Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flystrike

Options
  • 28-09-2015 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Did the lambs with clikzin just over 8 weeks ago and cover period had just lapsed. Just wondering about reapplying the stuff or taking a chance. Anyone have any issues with flystrike lately or know if the threat still be there ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Did the lambs with clikzin just over 8 weeks ago and cover period had just lapsed. Just wondering about reapplying the stuff or taking a chance. Anyone have any issues with flystrike lately or know if the threat still be there ?

I doubt if any self respecting maggot would hatch out in this weather, but they can be vicious this time of year, so watch them

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Found maggots last Thursday in 2 ewes.

Alamycin Spray I find very handy killing off any remaining maggots when cutting the maggots, eggs and greasy wool off the ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

That's what I use on struck lambs as well. Right good stuff. Had a load struck last year when I used the ectofly, but more or less none this year since switched to clik/ clikzin. Expensive but cheap as it works.

Last year I used the Ectofly and it was useless.
    Switched back to the Clik Pour-on and no fly strike till last week.
    Won't be using Ectofly again!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We had a ewe lamb with a few maggots last Sat week. Just treated her but didn't do the rest of them.

No re-occurence since then.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Last year I used the Ectofly and it was useless.
    Switched back to the Clik Pour-on and no fly strike till last week.
    Won't be using Ectofly again!

Yep I was the very same. Some difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

would most people not dip this time of year ? i know up here it is classed nearly more important to dip in the backend than the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

fanadman1 wrote: »
    would most people not dip this time of year ? i know up here it is classed nearly more important to dip in the backend than the summer

I always give an autumn dip, only thing is the ewes remember being dipped from the summer and hate it, stand with their arses to you at the back of the pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Had a lamb yesterday with fly strike. poor fella. Was driven mad. Hard to believe maggots in October

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

sea12 wrote: »
    Had a lamb yesterday with fly strike. poor fella. Was driven mad. Hard to believe maggots in October

This is the time of year they are worst imo.
    Whatever about how often you get them there defo more severe this time of year.
    Itch seems very comman around now 2

• Advertisement

Had a few ewes with maggots in the hooves today.

More ewes this year than other years with cases of maggots in the hooves.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Had 2 lambs with eggs on them today , tails going , done 4 weeks ago with clickzin .. would the eggs be dead or once they land are they good to go? Not sure how clickzin works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

sonnybill wrote: »
    Had 2 lambs with eggs on them today , tails going , done 4 weeks ago with clickzin .. would the eggs be dead or once they land are they good to go? Not sure how clickzin works

I think you’ll still find eggs but the chemical in the clikzin stops them hatching. Open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

sonnybill wrote: »

The eggs might hatch but the maggots won't develop to feed.

https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2020/blowfly-control-in-sheep-flocks.php

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Anyone else notice click not lasting the 16 weeks cover period.

Seems to have happened 2 years in a row here. Getting about 12 weeks out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ard_MC wrote: »

Heavy maggot pressure atm - lost a Ewe already this weekend on commonage. Poor thing was just standing there listless, tongue out and covered in Bluebottles:(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Heavy maggot pressure atm - lost a Ewe already this weekend on commonage. Poor thing was just standing there listless, tongue out and covered in Bluebottles:(

Thankfully never had an issue on the commonage here. Sheep stay high and blue bottles don't seem to travel that far!!

But had 2 lambs struck yesterday on the low land. Done with click.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Definitely getting a few more cases, although i do wonder if some of the clik is getting wiped off some of them, post handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thankfully never had an issue on the commonage here. Sheep stay high and blue bottles don't seem to travel that far!!

But had 2 lambs struck yesterday on the low land. Done with click.

The commonage on my place in North Mayo is on lowland blanket bog not much above sea-level next to the coast. I guess flystrike on higher level commonages like Bangor Erris or Nephin would be less likely alright as stock could move up to higher ridges during warm/humid conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrfitz

Do they have to be done more than once during the Summer with Click? I was told once was sufficient...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

mrfitz wrote: »
    Do they have to be done more than once during the Summer with Click? I was told once was sufficient...

Used clik extra on some lambs back mid may. None struck yet. Have another batch that weren't treated and they've been struck over the last few days. Their getting clikzin now so hope that's the end of it.

Advertisement