Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm Zone issue

Options
  • 28-09-2015 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

HKC 8/12 Set for Night and within 5 mins alarm going off.

Message - Alarm Z3 Rear wins/Pat.

Reset and again with 5 mins alarm went off.

So looks possibly like a faulty sensor.

I have the Eng code and multimeter.

Can I just Walk test the Z3 ?

Having read some of the post.

Is it just a case of disconnecting the wires on the panel side and then opening up the sensor and testing the sensors. there are 4 windows (shock only) and one Door patio with a shock and magnetic contact.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The correct way to find faulty devices is to check the resistance on the entire zone.
    Disconnect the zone from the panel & remove any end of line resistors. (There may be none)
    Set you meter to continuity and connect the pair to the 2 meter leads on a length of cable long enough to reach all your windows on the zone you want to test.
    Make a note of the reading in ohms. One by one tap every sensor & open and close every contact. After a tap or an open close the resistance should return to the around the same value. If it does not disconnect that device , close of the pair wired into it & move on. Replace any that you had to close off.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

KoolKid wrote: »
    The correct way to find faulty devices is to check the resistance on the entire zone.
    Disconnect the zone from the panel & remove any end of line resistors. (There may be none)
    Set you meter to continuity and connect the pair to the 2 meter leads on a length of cable long enough to reach all your windows on the zone you want to test.
    Make a note of the reading in ohms. One by one tap every sensor & open and close every contact. After a tap or an open close the resistance should return to the around the same value. If it does not disconnect that device , close of the pair wired into it & move on. Replace any that you had to close off.

Hi thanks for that didnt see an issue with the 3 sensors however there was a live earwig inside one could that cause the issue?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Possibly . What readings in ohms were you getting on the entire zone?

Hi KoolKid

That's for that I will test tonight as all I did last night was a walk test and then had a look at the connection to the 3 sensors. I did put the alarm on last night without issue.

I also did notice that the last time I had the alarm box on the installer had put all the zone readings in ohms from installation. Is a short run from the alarm box to the windows maybe 5 feet from the first window so I don't expect it to be high.

Can I just connect the pair to the multi-meter at the alarm box and have the wife test the sensors to get the reading? also is it continuity or 200 ohms set the meter to ?

thanks again

Yes set continuity at 200 ohms. On that run all being good it should be below 10 ohms.

• Advertisement

thanks KoolKid will do

Advertisement