Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android TV and RTE Player

• 28-09-2015 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a Sony Android TV and was looking for the RTE Player app to install, but it doesn't appear on the play store (viewed from the TV).

Is it available yet for Android TV and is there any way to install it from the normal play store (is that even possible?)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi

Here is direct link to it - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.RTE.OSMF.Minimal

Maybe it is not compatible with your specific android box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi

Here is direct link to it - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.RTE.OSMF.Minimal

Maybe it is not compatible with your specific android box?

Yeah. It says there that it's not compatible with the TV. Will have to wait for it to appear on the TV play store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Can you sideload apps onto the tv ?

Ste- wrote: »
    Can you sideload apps onto the tv ?

I don't know what sideloading is. Like casting?

Edit: Just looked it up. I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If you can install ES file explorer onto your tv it might make installing apps and moving files a bit easier.

• Advertisement

I found this guide:

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/02/android-tv-sideload-apps-nexus-player-using-google-drive.html

and it looks horrible. I'll have to take a evening out to get through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You can download the APK here,perhaps try sticking it on a USB stick and loading it onto the tv that way.

zerks wrote: »
    You can download the APK here,perhaps try sticking it on a USB stick and loading it onto the tv that way.

I don't see a link there. Can you repost it? I need to get time to sit down and do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

No RTE Player on any smart TV platform at the minute. RTE are still using a very old backbone for their catch up services so it will take them time to get that updated.

I haven't tried sideloading the app on Android TV but I'd imagine the quality would be horrendous. Maybe try Googlecasting it from Chrome on a PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    I don't see a link there. Can you repost it? I need to get time to sit down and do this.

http://www.apk20.com/apk/674532/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I was currys yesterday OP looking at the sony android tv and the guy in the store told me that the RTE player is currently unavailable on all smart tv's. Issue lies with RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

fearruanua wrote: »
    I was currys yesterday OP looking at the sony android tv and the guy in the store told me that the RTE player is currently unavailable on all smart tv's. Issue lies with RTE.

Did he say it's down, it just not available ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Did he say it's down, it just not available ?

Not a massive tech head but basically I think what he said is whatever system that rte are currently using for their player is as old as the hills and doesn't really work well on smart tv's so they have pulled it for the moment.

Doesn't sound right for me. I have it on my smart TV, although I haven't checked it in a while, it worked fine. Why would they pull something that worked perfectly fine ?

I'm wondering if he's misunderstanding the fact that it won't work on the latest Samsungs for example because the OS is different on the latest models compared to the previous, and as of yet there's no app available for that OS(I think).

Doesn't sound right for me. I have it on my smart TV, although I haven't checked it in a while, it worked fine. Why would they pull something that worked perfectly fine ?

I'm wondering if he's misunderstanding the fact that it won't work on the latest Samsungs for example because the OS is different on the latest models compared to the previous, and as of yet there's no app available for that OS(I think).

Could be now. As I said a lot of tech speak goes right over my head : )

I finally got around to this using the method on the link I posted earlier. Installed google drive first and then used the "apt extractor" app to make the APKs I needed. Once that's in google drive it's easy to install on the TV.

The TV did complain about unofficial apps and I had to change the default TV settings to get the apps to install, but wasn't a problem.

RTE Player is barely usable. I can't scroll around the screen, so am limited to what I can watch and the quality is terrible!

I installed flixster too. The interface is not usable with the standard remote, but is ok with the TV SideView app's remote. Quality is fine, but pixelates a lot (which doesn't happen on phone or when casting to the TV).

Might just because it's not optimised for your OS? The quality of the version on my TV is quite good. Only issue I have is that not everything is on the TV version that's on the web based one, such as Homeland for example.

Might just because it's not optimised for your OS? The quality of the version on my TV is quite good. Only issue I have is that not everything is on the TV version that's on the web based one, such as Homeland for example.

The TV I have runs on android (Sony Bravia). The RTE Player is not available on the Android TV platform so that's why I wanted to sideload it. It needs some work before it would be ready for use on Android TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

...but it worked fine for Chrome and Pocketcasts.
    Hi, I'm new to Google TV so sorry this is off-topic.
    In Pocketcasts and other apps it appears that I can't scroll beyond whatever fits on the first screen. It's fine if I can get the directional pad cursor onto a given list, but if I need to use the mouse to get to the list then scrolling seems impossible. Am I missing something obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the app is a pain in the hole on Sony Android TV. The bother of downloading the APK and putting it on USB and installing

You need a mouse to scroll down and the picture looks terrible. I use a Minix Neo A1 remote and its doesnt work for the RTE platyer App

RTE really need get there act together and get with the times. They need Chromecast and an real android TV app.

The RTE player apps are available on Samsung and LG WebOs smart tvs
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Use Chromecast from RTE Player app on your iPhone to get Android TV on your Sony Android TV. Works great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I knw the RTE player is on some apps on smart tvs such as Samsung/LG post 2014 models but i have a sony android tv and have to install the player via APK and its bloody horrendus, its bacaially the phone version on a big screen. Phone is android so cant cast it either

RTE really need get there act together and start supporting all platforms. It was on the ps3 but not on the ps4 ???

The Sky TV RTE player catch up is handy though

If u think RTE are bad look at TG4 they dont even have an android app only an iOs one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Has anyone got this to work i have a Sony TV and I have to use a Android box on my Android TV to get it to work

Advertisement