Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stud Rail Fencing

Options
  • 28-09-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I need to replace some stud rail fencing at home. Is there any difference between buying stud rail fencing that has been treated with creosote, versus buying untreated fencing and painting on the creosote yourself.

Further to my point, is there any practical difference between 100% Creosote and brands like Creocote which are cheaper but presumably a diluted version of the real thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Creosote has been banned since 2003, There was slightly worse substitutes available up to 2009 and then those were banned as well.
    The wood preservatives you buy these days are pretty much poor substitutes and don't really make that much difference to wood preservation in my experience.
    I have used most of the paint on stuff and its marginal in effect, the treated timber you buy is pretty much marginal as well in its treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

The PDM stuff is the way to go,some around my way and its over 20years old..pressure treated with cresote.when i got mine the company showed me several jobs they have done and some are well over 20years..there is a reason esb and eircom use their stuff for posts..i also painted cresote onto mine aswell,very difficult to get your hands on it unless you know a fencing contractor

soulglo79 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I need to replace some stud rail fencing at home. Is there any difference between buying stud rail fencing that has been treated with creosote, versus buying untreated fencing and painting on the creosote yourself.

Further to my point, is there any practical difference between 100% Creosote and brands like Creocote which are cheaper but presumably a diluted version of the real thing.

Advertisement