Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop Street in the morning - Running the gauntlet

Options
  • 28-09-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Is it just me or is it getting increasingly dangerous to try and walk up Shop street between 8 and 9am these days ?
    The trucks and vans are parked on both sides of the street, The School run parents become more and more frustrated in the traffic and speed down the street leaving no room for pedestrians anywhere.
    This morning a driver drove directly at me at high speed to avoid a parked truck and there was literally no place for me to go. The look of disgust on his face as I called him a wa$%er for near killing me was greeted by him getting out of his car a screaming abuse at me to get off the road lol. (I might add I was on the right hand side of the street against a wall not in the middle of the road)
    Does anyone have any idea who has right of way in these hours ? What are the speed limits on this street at that hour ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's only for delivery/supplier vehicles before 1000. It does not become a normal road. It's not enforced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's only for delivery/supplier vehicles before 1000. It does not become a normal road. It's not enforced though.

10:30 I think.

I do not know if there are any rules about who should go where.

But I do not think that there should be any school run parents there at all, though. It's open for delivery vehicles taking stuff to businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Hi folks,
    Is it just me or is it getting increasingly dangerous to try and walk up Shop street between 8 and 9am these days ?
    The trucks and vans are parked on both sides of the street, The School run parents become more and more frustrated in the traffic and speed down the street leaving no room for pedestrians anywhere.
    This morning a driver drove directly at me at high speed to avoid a parked truck and there was literally no place for me to go. The look of disgust on his face as I called him a wa$%er for near killing me was greeted by him getting out of his car a screaming abuse at me to get off the road lol. (I might add I was on the right hand side of the street against a wall not in the middle of the road)
    Does anyone have any idea who has right of way in these hours ? What are the speed limits on this street at that hour ?
    If you were against a wall how could you say he was driving straight at you? You shouted abuse at someone and got it back. Lol indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

If you were against a wall how could you say he was driving straight at you? You shouted abuse at someone and got it back. Lol indeed

I was walking along the side of Taffees pub, He was coming at speed down the middle of the street when the truck in front half pulled in to the left side of the street. He wasn't willing to wait for the truck to move so he just keep driving at the same speed swinging right to avoid the truck and headed straight for me.
    When I say I shouted at him I was fully aware he was in the car and couldn't hear me so I made the mouth movements to show my displeasure of him nearly killing me for driving too fast on a road it appears he should not be driving on ;).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hi folks,

Am I correct in understanding that he had his kids in the car looking at this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

snubbleste wrote: »

Hmm I am not sure about that. While Ireland "should" have legislation to make some streets "local access only" I am not sure that we actually do. Other countries do,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Was his name Ronnie Pickering?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hi folks,

Did you get his reg number? I'd report him for that, especially given his attitude.

Am I correct in understanding that he had his kids in the car looking at this?

Yes

He certainly looked the type :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Who?

RONNIE PICKERING

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Oh goodness gracious, someone isn't up to the minute with the viral stuff on the internet!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭outsidein98

I'm there regularly at that time. I've never seen anyone driving fast down the street though. Most people have more sense. But you do have to watch your back with the trucks and vans.

I was there this morning but apparently missed a knock down fight between two regular buskers. It's dog eat dog in the busking world in that street.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

The look of disgust on his face as I called him a wa$%er for near killing me was greeted by him getting out of his car a screaming abuse at me to get off the road lol.

As a cyclist I would have to say that becoming abusive rarely brings people around to your point of view.

Also the correct way to negotiate Shop Street before 11am is to avoid it completely.

Advertisement