Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADVICE: Garden falls away at the back, want have it level

Options
  • 28-09-2015 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice. My garden falls away at the back and I want to have it level (ish). It probably falls about half a metre or a bit more in the last 2 metres so steep enough. I tried searching both on goggle and here for existing threads but end up with loads of stuff on "raised beds". If its been discussed before can someone point me in the right direction or else any hints welcome.

Just wondering what to use (not a great gardener here beyond cutting grass and cutting the hedge!). Some sand ? stones/pebbles? and then top soil for last 20 cm or all soil? (& what type if there are types!) The area is probably about 14m wide x 2m length and 50/70cm drop.

Won't see much grown on it beyond some grass I think

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are you planning on doing this yourself-?
    Cos if you're planning on getting a landscaper they'll know largely what you want -
    Is there good access to your back garden, cos you'll have to bring in a fair bit of stuff - you may have enough top-soil -( if it is scraped off -and then replaced later)
    Again - depending on your site - you may need to build a retaining wall to stop everything slipping away -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

A photograph would be helpful...
    Is it the sunny or shady side of the house?
    Any patio doors leading to the area?
    Any windows looking out onto the area?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What is going to support this raised level? More than a fence I hope... If you are raising the level up against a boundary you might want to think about drainage and the safety of the people on the other side of the boundary if your side collapses in heavy rains.

That said, I really like split level gardens rather than all one level. Any chance you could excavate rather than build up... And have some steps down into a courtyard area instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ye have given me a few things to think about already. Not sure if I would do it myself or not, not particularly rushed about it but even if I was getting someone else its good to understand the basics of the job. Things like "what is going to support the raised level" is obvious when I read it but I hadn't really thought about it. Digging down not really practical as it is quite stony. It would be a shaded area.

It might be easier to retain the slope but finish it nicer. There is no soil there at present it is kinda rubble, old bricks, stones, untidy. Maybe the slope is ok to retain but just a layer of soil with grass.

Advertisement