Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Watch/Sports Watch

Options
  • 28-09-2015 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have started running and actually really liking it. At the moment I am just using Map my Run/May my Walk on iphone and have Mi Fit but not very accurate so looking for something better. As I am just new to this I don't want to end up spending a fortune. My friend showed me a garmin, no idea what make/etc but just he can track running etc but I think he paid well over 100 for it.....

I bought the Mi Fit via Geekbuying and they have some options which are no name Chinese type brands. Something like the below: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/U80-Bluetooth-Smart-Wrist-Watch-Notification-Sedentary-Remind-for-Android-iPhone-4-4S-5-5S-Samsung-S4-Note-3---Black-341827.html

Are these any good or just a waste of money?

Where is best to start? Do any of these track you cycling as well? I do a good bit of cycling but running now most of the time.....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There are plenty of free apps that you can use until you figure out what you actually need.

The big benefit of a purpose built watch is that it saves phone battery life primarily but also that the GPS accuracy is generally better with the watches. Try out Strava, Polar Beat or stick with Map My Run. Some of the apps like Polar Beat will integrate with a future watch purchase. Strava and the like will accept data from most of the watches too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

AKW wrote: »
    There are plenty of free apps that you can use until you figure out what you actually need.

The big benefit of a purpose built watch is that it saves phone battery life primarily but also that the GPS accuracy is generally better with the watches. Try out Strava, Polar Beat or stick with Map My Run. Some of the apps like Polar Beat will integrate with a future watch purchase. Strava and the like will accept data from most of the watches too.

Thanks, was looking for Smart Watch really to replace the MiFit which is limited to what it can actually do. Also not the greatest looking thing on arm.

The apps kill my phone. Do any sort of run and the bloody phone is dead....bit of a pain....

Seen some of them come with heart rate monitor....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Seen some of them come with heart rate monitor....

I know nothing about the one you linked and at that price I would wonder about quality of the chips and build.

If budget is tight, have a look at Aldi as they sometimes do their own brand GPS with Heart Rate or even better find a second hand Garmin / Polar which will be tested in use.

Really hard to overlook the way the watches are moving with optical HR being built into the wrist units of Garmin & Polar watches so a future of strap-less heart rate is available but you are looking at prices up to €300 if you want GPS tracking with that.

AKW wrote: »
    I know nothing about the one you linked and at that price I would wonder about quality of the chips and build.

If budget is tight, have a look at Aldi as they sometimes do their own brand GPS with Heart Rate or even better find a second hand Garmin / Polar which will be tested in use.

Really hard to overlook the way the watches are moving with optical HR being built into the wrist units of Garmin & Polar watches so a future of strap-less heart rate is available but you are looking at prices up to €300 if you want GPS tracking with that.

Well not sure what my budget is because I don't really know where to start looking? What is the best types available? I done a quick look on adverts and loads of options with very different price ranges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Just to define difference between smart watch and gps watch...

Smart Watch - Apple Watch / Samsung Watch or anything like this. Generally these will need to pair with a phone to track gps and will run an app on the phone. You're still going to have to carry the phone around with you and lose battery life. Also, they generally need a lot of charging themselves.

GPS Watch - Any of the multiple options from Garmin/Polar/Suunto/TomTom/etc. These have built in GPS receivers in the watch, some are waterproof or splashproof, most will connect to a HRM, some have it built in (newer models). Some are runnning specific, others are triathlon or multi-sport enabled.

Best port of call for assessing what watch will suit your needs is www.dcrainmaker.com - its got independent in-depth reviews of tons of models from various manufacturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I run with my iPhone. If a phone is not working out for you then by all means look at a watch, though personally given the choice I'd prefer to invest in a better phone :) Maybe look at a watch once you're more invested in running.

The Wirecutter guide to running watches is excellent:
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-running-watch/

"Is my smartphone enough?

Yes. A smartphone will do anything that one of these watches does, in some cases doing it better. You get a bigger screen, louder speaker, the ability to play music, and more. But it’s also a big, expensive, and comparatively heavy device that requires you to take precautions against breaking it, especially in the rain. You don’t have to worry about any of that with a GPS watch. We’ve picked a couple of arm bands and a waist band for those who’d prefer to run with their phones, but GPS watches, especially in their current sleek and unobtrusive iterations, are definitely worth the convenience if you run frequently."

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Just to define difference between smart watch and gps watch...

Smart Watch - Apple Watch / Samsung Watch or anything like this. Generally these will need to pair with a phone to track gps and will run an app on the phone. You're still going to have to carry the phone around with you and lose battery life. Also, they generally need a lot of charging themselves.

GPS Watch - Any of the multiple options from Garmin/Polar/Suunto/TomTom/etc. These have built in GPS receivers in the watch, some are waterproof or splashproof, most will connect to a HRM, some have it built in (newer models). Some are runnning specific, others are triathlon or multi-sport enabled.

Best port of call for assessing what watch will suit your needs is www.dcrainmaker.com - its got independent in-depth reviews of tons of models from various manufacturers.

While mostly correct the garmin Vivoactive is an affordable option that satifies both the smartwatch and running watch requirements.

estariol wrote: »
    While mostly correct the garmin Vivoactive is an affordable option that satifies both the smartwatch and running watch requirements.

That looks like perfect option......it there any other company doing something similar?

Advertisement