Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2015

Options
  • 28-09-2015 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Previous threads:
    2014: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90509613
    2013: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83531332

Haven’t seen another thread on this so with just 4 week to go said I’d open one. Let the fun and soon to be taper madness commence. This will be my fourth marathon (3rd DCM) and hopefully I can shake the sub 4 mill that’s around my neck. A 1:38 in Phoenix Park has me hoping for a sub 3:50 but I know from experience (and last Saturday’s long run) that may be a push.

Following the previous couple of year’s threads I’ve notice a few things that hopefully won’t repeat themselves:

Taper madness is really a thing! People will get really really antsy in the lead up to the race.

If someone comes on asking “Should I run DCM as I’ve missed x weeks training/only started training last week” then the answer will always be NO. It’s only a race and there are plenty of alternatives so if you’re not ready don’t do it – simples.

There is always endless debates about should you carry water/gels etc. My motto is: If you trained a certain way and are comfortable then do it that way, it’s your race and at the end of the day you’re only answering to yourself.

Beer never tasted so good than after a marathon.

Advice will be given, advice may or may not be heeded

Is it just me or do people get really bogged down mentally around this stage of training? What I mean is do you get sick of all the training at this stage just before the taper? I always get like this around now, then the second I cross the finish line I’m thinking of the next one.

So, who’s in, who’s pacing this year, what is everyone hoping for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

As of today, I'm in :)

hoping for... better than last year! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

I see all the Irish and World Elites were running in Berlin yesterday. I wonder how much slower is Dublin than Berlin for a runner at 2.`15, 3.15 or 4.15.
    I reckon the new course is a lot slower than the previous one. I found the drag up through the park to be a killer last year and don't think the freakish weather can be blamed for all of the carnage.

For myself I'll definitely plan on a negative split .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    I see all the Irish and World Elites were running in Berlin yesterday. I wonder how much slower is Dublin than Berlin for a runner at 2.`15, 3.15 or 4.15.
    I reckon the new course is a lot slower than the previous one. I found the drag up through the park to be a killer last year and don't think the freakish weather can be blamed for all of the carnage.

You don't have the long drag up chesterfield this time, you are coming in via the north circular rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

bonaparte2 wrote: »

I would estimate the difference to be about a minute an hour, so for a 3 hour runner Berlin would be at least 3 mins quicker than Dublin.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I would estimate the difference to be about a minute an hour, so for a 3 hour runner Berlin would be at least 3 mins quicker than Dublin.

That's a big difference, is that just because Berlin is so flat? I had heard estimates of 2-3 mins before (from 3:30 ish runner).

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    That's a big difference, is that just because Berlin is so flat? I had heard estimates of 2-3 mins before (from 3:30 ish runner).

Ya the course is very flat, a couple of very minor pulls but nothing that can be described as a hill. Marathons are all about fuel efficency and conservation and hills really blow out the fuel stores. The road surface in Berlin is perfect, smooth with no camber. In Dublin there is a lot of sections that have poor or uneven surface this is also a factor. There is an awfull lot of long straight road in Berlin hardly any turns where as Dublin has a lot of 90 degree turns. All these factors and also ideal weather conditions this year make Berlin that much faster. Dublin is a great marathon and every bit as well organised with an atmosphere that is as good as Berlin relative to the size of the cities but for targeting fast times a race like Berlin is the best choice.

Ya the course is very flat, a couple of very minor pulls but nothing that can be described as a hill. Marathons are all about fuel efficency and conservation and hills really blow out the fuel stores. The road surface in Berlin is perfect, smooth with no camber. In Dublin there is a lot of sections that have poor or uneven surface this is also a factor. There is an awfull lot of long straight road in Berlin hardly any turns where as Dublin has a lot of 90 degree turns. All these factors and also ideal weather conditions this year make Berlin that much faster. Dublin is a great marathon and every bit as well organised with an atmosphere that is as good as Berlin relative to the size of the cities but for targeting fast times a race like Berlin is the best choice.

Interesting, thanks, a lot of different factors there. Berlin can be quite warm which definitely wouldn't suit me (but then Dublin last year was too!).

One big advantage Dublin has over Berlin, from what I've heard, is the quality of the pacers! They are brilliant in Dublin, from HM to marathon.

Interesting, thanks, a lot of different factors there. Berlin can be quite warm which definitely wouldn't suit me (but then Dublin last year was too!).

One big advantage Dublin has over Berlin, from what I've heard, is the quality of the pacers! They are brilliant in Dublin, from HM to marathon.

Yes the pacers in Berlin seem to be very erratic surely where in Dublin bad pacing is an exception. On the pacing issue I believe every runner should take individual responsibility for their own race to some degree. Putting your race completely in the hands of others does not sit well with me, with the best will in the world things can still go wrong. Also in Berlin the water is in cups rather than bottles which is definitely a disadvantage. As an aside I have done 30+ marathons 4 50k and 4 100k and this is the worst I have ever felt after a race, by some distance. To be honest I'm in ribbons and not sure if Il make work this evening. Maybe it's age, over 40 now or maybe it's pb effort but I have a theory that the Berlin roads are a harder surface closer to concrete than Irish roads leading to increased impact and muscle damage. Then again maybe I'm thinking too much because I can't run!!

Yes the pacers in Berlin seem to be very erratic surely where in Dublin bad pacing is an exception. On the pacing issue I believe every runner should take individual responsibility for their own race to some degree. Putting your race completely in the hands of others does not sit well with me, with the best will in the world things can still go wrong. Also in Berlin the water is in cups rather than bottles which is definitely a disadvantage. As an aside I have done 30+ marathons 4 50k and 4 100k and this is the worst I have ever felt after a race, by some distance. To be honest I'm in ribbons and not sure if Il make work this evening. Maybe it's age, over 40 now or maybe it's pb effort but I have a theory that the Berlin roads are a harder surface closer to concrete than Irish roads leading to increased impact and muscle damage. Then again maybe I'm thinking too much because I can't run!!

Sounds like you have earned a rest!!! :)

agree completely re. pacing... and cups vs bottles.

Sounds like you have earned a rest!!! :)

agree completely re. pacing... and cups vs bottles.

A rest is needed but I have a twisty turny hilly slightly uneven but brilliant race to run I less than 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Any word on the elite list this year, Irish and International??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Done very little running since London, but will be back for another run around Dublin again this year. Did 2:49:44 in London, but if I can get around within half an hour of that time I'll call it a success for Dublin and will just be out to have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

A rest is needed but I have a twisty turny hilly slightly uneven but brilliant race to run I less than 4 weeks.

I had a feeling you wouldn't have sense.😊
    See ya there.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Any word on the elite list this year, Irish and International??

Eliud Too, last year's men's winner is running again this year. According to his FB page he's doing the Athlone 3/4 this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Is there any other way of picking up your race number bar the expo?, like getting it posted?

Was thinking of doing it after Berlin not going so well but was hoping to just travel up in the morning of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is there any other way of picking up your race number bar the expo?, like getting it posted?

no, you have to collect at the expo.
    Like most marathons - they sell space at the expo on the basis that all the people running will be at the expo to collect their numbers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

National marathon could be wide open after Berlin crew , could be a new name on the title ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

youngrun wrote: »
    National marathon could be wide open after Berlin crew , could be a new name on the title ?

bazman might be a good bet, any other big Irish names possibly doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

tang1 wrote: »

I'm not too sure of Eoin C's plan. If he were to run he'd be my favourite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

tang1 wrote: »

True, I guess Freddy Stuk will run it is he in the champs? paddy hamilton, eoin flynn ,callaghan .

Womens is anyones guess? Newcombe or mccarthy from cork if they are running?

Will go up to watch great race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I noticed an updated map on the website:
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/SSE-AT-DM15-ROUTE-MAP_Toilets.pdf

There appear to be more water stations (11), all with toilets and first aid stations. Gels at the 16 and 21 mile water stations, Lucozade at the 9.5 mile and 13 mile water stations, and at the 22 mile cheering zone (the 1000 foot 45 degree climb of Roebuck Mountain). There are also more cheering zones (10).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nichakhun

You don't have the long drag up chesterfield this time, you are coming in via the north circular rd

I think the drag up Blackhall Place and into Manor Street then Aughrim Street is possibly worse than the drag on the small piece of chesterfield avenue that is not in this years course.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

RayCun wrote: »
    no, you have to collect at the expo.
    Like most marathons - they sell space at the expo on the basis that all the people running will be at the expo to collect their numbers

I am not able to get to Dublin until Sunday night after 10pm.

Can I send someone in to collect the race number on my behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

TomD101 wrote: »
    I am not able to get to Dublin until Sunday night after 10pm.

Can I send someone in to collect the race number on my behalf?

send them a mail at office@dublinmarathon.ie to make sure
    I think the person you send has to have your confirmation mail, letter of permission, and copy of your ID

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Did the DM last year for first time and like many found it tough going, clocking 3.37.00 having targeted sub 3.30.00. Did the first half in 1.43.30 and bombed in the last five miles posting a positive split of 11 minutes. Probably went off a shade too quick though more likely the conditions found me out. Who would be planning a negative split this year?. I read some regard the second half of the course 'easier' than the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Did DCM last year, it was my 2nd marathon, started in the 3:40 group, just about finished in front of the 3:50 group.

I mostly blame that fact I was only doing long runs and very little mid week running. My mileage over all was very low.

Took my medicine, built up a good base over the winter. Running more than ever now, confident this year and going into the 3:30 group.

Not looking forward to taper madness and the risk of getting a cold during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Did the DM last year for first time and like many found it tough going, clocking 3.37.00 having targeted sub 3.30.00. Did the first half in 1.43.30 and bombed in the last five miles posting a positive split of 11 minutes. Probably went off a shade too quick though more likely the conditions found me out. Who would be planning a negative split this year?. I read some regard the second half of the course 'easier' than the first.
    There's very little difference between the first and second half from an elevation point of view.

Even splits with a slightly conservative goal is usually the best approach, especially for (relative) novices. A 1:45:30 would have been a much more appropriate halfway time.

Of course, you have to be even more conservative if it's a warm day like last year. 95% of people ran a positive split last year, compared to 88% the year before and 83% in 2012

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Nichakhun wrote: »
    I think the drag up Blackhall Place and into Manor Street then Aughrim Street is possibly worse than the drag on the small piece of chesterfield avenue that is not in this years course.

I did this stretch today... it's not as steep as the drag up from Parkgate st through the main gate of the Park, but there is a noticeable drag for sure and both Manor St and Aughrim st are narrow and likely to be congested I would think... and the left turn onto Aughrim St is quite sharp.

The highest point in the first 8-9 miles is just beyond Myo's in Castleknock, right after the left turn towards Chapelizod.... so all through the park is net uphill. But then there's the lovely downhill from Tower Road to Chapelizod Gate. That's as far as I got today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Everyone seems to blame the heat last year but I honestly think the wind was a bigger factor. Most people seemed to suffer on the long stretch into the wind about half way, myself included.

I reckon its prudent not to settle on a target until we see the conditions on the day. If it's like last year I'll allow 5 minutes for the wind and pace accordingly. Otherwise it could cost lots more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

snailsong wrote: »
    Everyone seems to blame the heat last year but I honestly think the wind was a bigger factor. Most people seemed to suffer on the long stretch into the wind about half way, myself included.

I reckon its prudent not to settle on a target until we see the conditions on the day. If it's like last year I'll allow 5 minutes for the wind and pace accordingly. Otherwise it could cost lots more.

+1

The humidity early had me feeling a lot rougher than I should've going through the Phoenix park but a combination of the wind and trying to force the pace and stay on target just after halfway was the final nail in the coffin when I really should have backed off and let the effort do the talking. I've never seen so many people walking just after halfway, a good 30-40 runners who were targeting sub-3 or faster all stopped on the side of the road at 14 miles.

Round number chasing is the single biggest cause of blowing up for marathon runners, trying to eek out that little bit extra and getting obsessed with pace no matter what the conditions are.

Advertisement