Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

A question on logistics for the people that that run this before. I'll be driving up from Kildare (N7 direction). Are there road closures that will stop me getting close to the city centre. Also, where would be a good place to park? Don't want to be walking too far to the starting area.

Dury street car park was nearly empty last year shortly before 8am. But it was expensive (Can't remember how much because I wasn't the driver and I didn't actually go back to the car but I remember my running partner giving out loads about the cost afterwards).

I think the best option for you would be to drive to Sandyford Luas park & ride (or anywhere on the Green line) and Luas into St. Stephens' Green - or the Red Luas from Red Cow - but that gives you a 10 minute further walk to the bag drop at Merrion Square South

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

According to this article Sonia O'Sullivan is running DCM this year.

www.athleticsireland.ie/news/join-sonia-in-autumn-open-cross-country-5k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153689960213185

A video of this years route is on their facebook page. Its getting close folks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

dintbo wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153689960213185

A video of this years route is on their facebook page. Its getting close folks!!!

I much preferred the previous years videos where you just had the Garda bike going the wrong way down streets followed by the camera car... and no narration.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

robinph wrote: »
    I much preferred the previous years videos where you just had the Garda bike going the wrong way down streets followed by the camera car... and no narration.

Agree, previous years format was better (even liked the music) but still good to get a view of the whole course.

I notice there are pacers for 3.40 and 3.50. What are peoples thoughts if someone has a sub 3.45 in mind? Pace band, run even pace and keep an eye on mile markers? Any other advice?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Has anyone made a call on the location for carb replenishing to resume after the marathon yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

robinph wrote: »
    Has anyone made a call on the location for carb replenishing to resume after the marathon yet?

Pretty sure everyone plans to start out in McGrattans anyway

menoscemo wrote: »
    Pretty sure everyone plans to start out in McGrattans anyway

I hope to make it back before it gets dark but can't make any promises - keep me some pasta and beer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Last long run done and dusted, 21miles but felt I could easily do another 5 :). First time doing a 2 week taper so will be interesting to see how it goes. Feeling fresh now so hopefully that will still be the case on the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hoe can I change waves...? When I registered I put down wave 3 but think I should have put wave 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hoe can I change waves...? When I registered I put down wave 3 but think I should have put wave 1.

I changed waves last week - just mail the organisers, contact info on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I spent months training and preparing for this marathon, but sadly I can't do it because of a knee injury. *Sheds tear*.

Anyway, I don't think I can get a refund or sell my place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Singer wrote: »
    I noticed an updated map on the website:
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/SSE-AT-DM15-ROUTE-MAP_Toilets.pdf

There appear to be more water stations (11), all with toilets and first aid stations. Gels at the 16 and 21 mile water stations, Lucozade at the 9.5 mile and 13 mile water stations, and at the 22 mile cheering zone (the 1000 foot 45 degree climb of Roebuck Mountain). There are also more cheering zones (10).

There's another updated map on the website now - it has the word "FINAL" in the URL, so it's got to be accurate, right? :)

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/SSE-AT-DM15-ROUTE-MAP_FINAL.pdf

The differences to the above are:
    • The water station somewhere between mile 22-23 has gone (so now there's 10).
    • The mile 19 water station now also has Lucozade.
    • The compass on the map has moved location, it's now over Drumcondra :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

What gels are being given out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Thanks Singer
    eliwallach wrote: »
    What gels are being given out?

High 5 Gel stations at miles 16 and 21

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Singer wrote: »
    I changed waves last week - just mail the organisers, contact info on the website.

I just got a reply, apparently wave 1 is full...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

No excuses in 13 days if you get a day like today. Talk about ideal marathon weather!

One thing in all DCM runners favour this year is the hour not going back. Last year it went back on the Saturday two nights before, meaning you were starting the race at what had been 10am two days before (thus it was always going to be a little warmer, but what we got was extreme). This year that doesn't happen for another week because the last Saturday in October is the following weekend. So you'll be in the dark and cold at 8am shivering your ass off on the way to the start. Perfect! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

yaboya1 wrote: »
    No excuses in 13 days if you get a day like today. Talk about ideal marathon weather!

One thing in all DCM runners favour this year is the hour not going back. Last year it went back on the Saturday two nights before, meaning you were starting the race at what had been 10am two days before (thus it was always going to be a little warmer, but what we got was extreme). This year that doesn't happen for another week because the last Saturday in October is the following weekend. So you'll be in the dark and cold at 8am shivering your ass off on the way to the start. Perfect! :D

You sure about this?
    I think we learned in primary school that it was the last SUNDAY in October that British summer time ended (the hour changes in the wee small hours of the Sunday morning).
    That would put the hour change on Sunday 25th, the day before the marathon.

• Advertisement

Yep, it's the Sunday that the clocks change.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11911792/When-do-the-clocks-go-back-in-the-UK-in-October-and-why-does-Daylight-Savings-Time-happen.html

Edit: Now I wasn't expecting there to be a Coldplay connection on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sorry about that.

I'm running the New York Marathon the following week and the hour goes back in the early hours before the race there (1st Nov). I didn't realise it was different in Europe :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's my first years trying a marathon and have found it tough getting out training- I only got the last long run out of the way last week (31 km in 3.02.44). the actual distances haven't been too much of a problem more just finding the time. Going by last weekend I'd say I'm realistically looking about 4:30; question though is it wiser to start at a slower pace, conserve more energy and speed up gradually along the route or just go at a set pace right the way through it?

Either way I'm seriously looking forward to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jump in to this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Anything on the elite field yet this year, international and Irish? Eliud Too going again ? Sergio+ Sean H going rumour has it. the evergreen Pauline C for the ladies win?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

youngrun wrote: »
    Anything on the elite field yet this year, international and Irish? Eliud Too going again ? Sergio+ Sean H going rumour has it. the evergreen Pauline C for the ladies win?

I suspect it will be a very weak field. Anybody with any sort of Olympic aspirations will be targeting elsewhere, and if Sergiu and Seah H are running (would be surprised if they are) then they won't be at full throttle. Good chance for somebody to pick up soft national medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I suspect it will be a very weak field. Anybody with any sort of Olympic aspirations will be targeting elsewhere, and if Sergiu and Seah H are running (would be surprised if they are) then they won't be at full throttle. Good chance for somebody to pick up soft national medals.

Easier on the teeth for the FB selfies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Eliud is a certainty I'd say, ran the Athlone 3/4 at the start of the month. Haven't heard any other news, would be surprised at any of the top Irish who ran Berlin also targeting Dublin

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Eoin O'C should be up there in the running. He ran 2:18 in Manchester, so was just outside of Olympic qualification range, but will likely have improved since then (his improvement over the last 24 months has been pretty staggering). If in form, it won't be a soft national medal, and he should finish in similar times to recent national medal wins. Recent winning times:
    2014 - 2:21 (Ciobanu)
    2013 - 2:18 (Hehir)
    2012 - 2:16 (Pollock)
    Chasing him will likely be Bazman and Gary O'H, who you'd expect to finish in the 2:19-2:23 range, given recent form.

Difficult to see a competitive race on the women's side of the competition. Certainly possible to see a win in the 2:40-2:45 range of finish times. So maybe Barbara Sanchez? Pauline Curley?

Advertisement