Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

pac_man wrote: »
    Lets say after uploading a course to my watch and I decide to go out for a run, how do I know if I'm following the correct course. My 405 has a compass on it but never really understood what it was used for. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Oh long time since I used a 405, but should be under training 'do course' and if you stray XXmts off course the watch will alert you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I want to drive the entire route on saturday, will that be possible or will there be road closures in place in certain areas (I'm thinking the park) at that stage?

It wouldn't be possible to drive the entire route at any time unless they change it. There are some sections that are one way, never open to traffic etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I popped the course into GC yesterday here's the profile.
    Best to be a little off the pace for the first 7 miles!

22280217996_1443ae19e0_b.jpg

If you were racing how much slower would you go, 5, 10 seconds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

menoscemo wrote: »
    there are 68 individual pacers.
    ****..better order 30 more yellow vests:)

Ed Mc wrote: »
    If you were racing how much slower would you go, 5, 10 seconds?

Yep a handful of seconds, it's only a couple of hundred feet over 4 miles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Does anyone know if both Luas are running as normal on marathon day? Also I presume most of the roads or the route (except those in the high congestion areas) eg around Drimnagh, Terenure etc will only have rolling closures?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

Phoebas wrote: »
    Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time]
    |vanderlyle|N/A|3:19:59|
    |Mr Freeze|3:49:33|3:29:59|
    |chavezychavez|3:13:14|3:09:59|
    |robinph|2:49:44|3:19:43|
    |diego_b|N/A|4:05:00|
    |MacSwifty|3:20.23|3:28:59|
    |eyeball kid|N/A|4:29:59|
    |Averagejoe123|3.27.20|3:09:59|
    |singer|N/A|3:33:33|
    |Kissy Lips|3:04:08|3:45:00|
    |MrMacPhisto|3:06:01|2:54:59|
    |jahaco|3:07:22|2:59:59|
    |slow_runner|4:10:31|3:49:59|
    |Diablo Verde|3:22:37|3:05:59|
    |jake1970|N/A|3:19:59|
    |HibernianRunner|3:35:56|3:23:59|
    |hot buttered scones|3:49:27|3:29:59|
    |davedanon|3:14:08|3:09:59|
    |annapr|4:43:xx|4:14:59|
    |wrstan| - |3:08:45|
    |Ed Mc|3:10|2:64:59|
    |overthebridge|4:21:xx|3:49:59|
    |mattias_w|2:46:17|2:43:59|
    |DogSlySmile|2:59:59|2:59:58|
    |Downtime|4:00:38|3:59:58|
    |beef|3:47:30|3:38:00|
    |frash|-|4:29:59|
    |Inthehole1|n/a|3:59:59|
    |7mile|2.58.57|3:04:29|
    |Steroo|4.16.00|3:49:00|
    |chrislad|n/a|4.29.59|
    |Rebelrunner|3:18|3:14:59|
    |Phoebas|n/a|3:59:57|

Downtime and Inthehole will be visible just behind me in my finisher pic. :D:p

The battle for the front of the pic is on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I want to drive the entire route on saturday, will that be possible or will there be road closures in place in certain areas (I'm thinking the park) at that stage?
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be possible to drive the entire route at any time unless they change it. There are some sections that are one way, never open to traffic etc.

We did it last year... trying to avoid going the wrong way on one way streets of course, but you can cover most of it. Having said that, I think it scared the life out of me so not sure I would recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

all the road closures are listed on the marathon website
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/traffic-information/

The LUAS lines are stopped for only a very short time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

inthehole1 wrote: »
    The battle for the front of the pic is on :)

Calle c, where are you?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

What are the times of the pacer groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Steroo wrote: »

Every 10 minutes I think, 3:30, 3:40, 3:50 etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Steroo wrote: »

3.00, 3.10, 3.20, 3.30, 3.40, 3.50, 4.00, 4.10, 4:20, 4.30 4:40, 4:50 and 5.00
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/frequently-asked-questions/

Long time DCM-er but first time for me as a club runner: is there anything extra I need to do at the expo re: entry in the nationals? Am I right in remembering there was a second desk at the Expo to sign in for the nationals, or am I confusing it with another race?
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Entry_List_National_Marathon_2015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Long time DCM-er but first time for me as a club runner: is there anything extra I need to do at the expo re: entry in the nationals? Am I right in remembering there was a second desk at the Expo to sign in for the nationals, or am I confusing it with another race?
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Entry_List_National_Marathon_2015.pdf

Athletics Ireland have a desk at the Expo, you should check there and make sure you are registered as a club member

Number collection is along the back wall of the Expo, both upstairs and downstairs. The AAI desk is in the corner after number collection, under the stairs. (If you collect your number upstairs, turn left when you come down to find the desk)

RayCun wrote: »
    Athletics Ireland have a desk at the Expo, you should check there and make sure you are registered as a club member

Number collection is along the back wall of the Expo, both upstairs and downstairs. The AAI desk is in the corner after number collection, under the stairs. (If you collect your number upstairs, turn left when you come down to find the desk)

Cheers, I was sure alright I had seen an AAI desk after the number collection in previous years as a blur in the corner of my eye as I got out of the Expo as quickly as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Full list of registered club runners can be found here
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/hehirs-quick-turnaround-for-dublin-as-national-marathon-entries-are-in

If you are on this list then you don't need to do anything else at the expo. If you're not then get onto your club secretary and see if they can have you added to it. I know the team declaration have to be in tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Has the spreadsheet been created that predicts the times runners will be at certain locations based on their target finish time/pace. I've used it the last few years as it's handy for letting supporters know what time to expect runners.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Full list of registered club runners can be found here
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/hehirs-quick-turnaround-for-dublin-as-national-marathon-entries-are-in

If you are on this list then you don't need to do anything else at the expo. If you're not then get onto your club secretary and see if they can have you added to it. I know the team declaration have to be in tomorrow

Thanks - I'm on the list but wasn't sure if I had to do anything else.

annapr wrote: »
    We did it last year... trying to avoid going the wrong way on one way streets of course, but you can cover most of it. Having said that, I think it scared the life out of me so not sure I would recommend it!

:D

Thanks Anna. I'm the opposite when it comes to these things, I much prefer knowing where the end of a road is rather than thinking "ohmygod this is a neverending road to hell". :D

I mean I'm sure that's what I'll be thinking anyway, but at least it might relieve some of that for the first while :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Both kids had a vomiting bug over night. Puking every 40 minutes. They had some sort of synchronous medley relay going on where one of them was puking on me every 20 minutes. Looking forward to being sick later this evening :o If you see me today run away run away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Unaaine posted this course overview on the Novices' thread. Thought it was was good, I'd copy it to here. Hope you don't mind @unaaine
    unaaine wrote: »

So finally at the 11th hour my route report. A bit like the course itself it’s a bit long and windy but I’m hoping it might add in some small way to the excellent overviews I’ve already read from others. It is written from a personal viewpoint obviously and subject to the vagaries of (according to my kids) a very selective memory (BUT mam I did tell you - you just don’t remember!!). Apols also if the sectioning into miles doesn’t quite add up and also for any typos!

Miles 3 - 7:
    Having not covered the route from miles 0-3, I’m only guessing that it will be a slow enough start to DCM and am anticipating to be running PMP + 10/15 secs for these first few miles. I will definitely not be pushing myself and my (cunning) plan psychologically is to treat this part as a warm up to my ‘usual’ 20 miles lsr! So joining the route at NCR at roughly mile 3, this is a short flat section after what I’m guessing will have been a bit of a drag up Manor + Aughrim Streets. Turning into the PP through narrow gates and onto a narrow section of road I’m expecting to meet some congestion and there’s a little drag uphill passing Garda HQ and turning left onto Lord’s Walk (zoo carpark area). When I ran this section last Saturday there was a swirly breeze so I’ll still be running at PMP + at this stage. It doesn’t last for long though and once onto Lord’s Walk there's a bit of a breather on this short flat section. Turning right onto Chesterfield Avenue it’s straight here up to Castleknock gates and up through the village to Myos Pub. I do a lot of running in the PP and am very familiar with this stretch of road and I always find it a bit of a drag. However I think the route last year in through the main gates at parkgate street would have been much harder and combined with not having to run the length of Chesterfield avenue this change of route will reduce the monotony as well. Though I’m sure that the crowds and the cheering on the day will help to make it pass quicker than usual. The road flattens out a little after the Aras roundabout and it goes up again slightly through the Castleknock gate and on through the village. After a tight enough left turn at Myos the road narrows again and goes uphill slightly for a few hundred metres. When I ran these miles last weekend the drag overall really wasn’t that bad and the breeze was there but minimal. I’ll also be thinking of trying to tuck in behind a group and benefit from the shelter but I’ve never yet managed to do this successfully in any other race. I’d still expect to be behind target by mile 7 though and I won’t be aiming to hit PMP through any of these miles.

Miles 7-10:
    After mile 7 it’s onto Tower Road and the welcome start of some downhill sections of road. I’m planning to up the pace here, though not sure by how much. Maybe PMP - 10/15 secs is the way to go but I’ve haven’t discussed this with anyone yet. I will be especially concentrating on relaxing and allowing forward momentum to do some of the work. I have had experience of forcing myself to slow on a steep downhill before and injured my quads. So it’ll be about relaxing, smiling and positive thinking and making up some of the time lost over the previous miles. According to the DCM route map it’s roughly a mile of downhill here before we turn back into the Park through the Knockmaroon gate. The road goes uphill again but only for a short section until for once in a race we go the opposite way down the Upper Glen Road for roughly a mile and a half or so until exiting the Park for the last time at Chapelizod gate. As far as I remember it’s flat enough along Chapelizod Road over the bridge in the village turning onto St Laurence’s Road at the 10 mile mark. I hope to be approaching PMP by this point, but if I’m not, I’m not going to worry.

Miles 10 - 13
    Then there’s the first ‘proper’ hill at the end of St Laurence’s Road. I’ve done this a few times during the LSRs and haven’t found it too bad. I’ve also done some hill training with my club and while my instinct would be to power up it and get it over with I think I’ll be dropping the pace and keeping the effort level consistent. I think it’s too early and the race ahead too much of an unknown for me to be thinking of any doing else. There’s a left turn then onto Sarsfield Road and a welcome stretch of flat road until the right turn under an overpass(?)/bridge onto Inchicore Road. To me this looks worse than it is but again I’ll be dropping the pace here. Straight again until the right turn at Kilmainham Gaol and another short enough uphill until the left turn onto SCR. Nothing too memorable in this stretch for me which winds right around by james Hospital and through Rialto until up and over the bump at the canal at Dolphin’s Barn.

Miles 13 - 15
    Passing the halfway (yay!) mark, I’ve run this section encompassing the Crumlin Road on a few occasions and have had different experiences each time. For me this could be the make or break in terms of creating problems for later on. Once or twice I encountered a pretty stiff wind and while I felt that my effort level was high when I checked my pace it was unbelievably slow. On other occasions it was actually not too bad. It is a drag though for the 2 miles to the Walkinstown Roundabout so I won’t be hoping for PMP here either and if it’s windy the pace will be very very conservative. Not a lot more to say about this section - it’s long, boring and usually windy. If the brain is still working at this point I think it will be time to dig deep and focus.

Miles 15 - 20
    Turning left onto Cromwellsfort Road after the Walkinstown Roundabout if my memory serves me correctly this is an okay though long-ish section down to KCR. And it must be flat or downhill if I’m visualising it as ‘down’ to KCR. A right turn then onto Fortfield Road and then a quick left turn and for some reason I don’t like this section at all. Can’t put my finger on it but it just seems longer and tougher than it should. The route turns left at Terenure College/Bushy Park onto Templeogue Road and again it seems flat but I remember checking my pace here once or twice and it never reflects this. It is definitely faster and a relief once the route turns right onto Terenure Road East following into Orwell Park and Darty Road and all the way to Milltown is pretty okay overall. Then there’s a hill at Milltown after the underpass and it’s pretty steep and looks daunting. I’m hoping to be able to draw on the benefits of the ‘easier’ miles beforehand to get up and over this one. But really no idea how this is going to pan out on the day as I’ve only ever hit it at 16 miles and not 20 so I guess it’ll be slow and well below PMP. It’s a right turn then onto a flatter Clonskeagh Road and a chance to draw breath again.

Miles 20 - 23
    This section is a series of gradual inclines interspersed with flatter sections (breathers) which I’m guessing will be challenging enough given the miles already in the legs. The route winds around the perimeter of UCD with a left turn onto Roebuck Road culminating in the hill at the end - called Heartbreak Hill by some. On my LSRs I’ve never found this hill too bad and have managed to get up it with an increase in cadence and a small increase in effort. But again given the stage we’ll hit it at it will be ‘interesting’ to see how much more it will hurt on the day. Foster’s Avenue is a welcome flat or downhill I think and mile 23 is a left turn onto the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway and up and over the flyover at UCD.

Miles 23 - 26.2+
    Coming off the UCD flyover (downhill obviously) there’s a barely noticeable incline up to the right turn onto Nutley Lane. This is a nice stretch - flat to downhill and then a right turn at Merrion S.C. onto Merrion Road. Not a huge fan of this section as it seems long and I’ve only run it towards the end of the LSRs when the legs were feeling heavy. Past the RDS onto Northumberland Road and the end is in sight. The pseudo finish is at the intersection of Mount Street and Merrion Square where we will all be immediately upping the pace to PMP -100% to slake our thirst in McGrattans.

Good luck everybody. The hay is in the barn, our work is done now!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Quick and stupid question: did anyone else sign up to get the time printed on the back of the medal when they registered?

I signed up for it in the summer and can't remember how I go about this. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get this? I've already paid for it!

Pink11 wrote: »
    Quick and stupid question: did anyone else sign up to get the time printed on the back of the medal when they registered?

I signed up for it in the summer and can't remember how I go about this. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get this? I've already paid for it!

It's a separate thingy that your medal sits in to. It gets sent to you after the race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

It's a separate thingy that your medal sits in to. It gets sent to you after the race :)

Perfect thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

In previous years my wife and kids have taken the red line luas from the red cow and were able to get off at Suir road and the 10 mile was relatively close by before heading into the finish area. With route changes is that still an option ? Love getting the high fives at that point.

Still can't figure out how to put my time into the table but hoping to bring my pb of 3.33.37 down to 3.29.30 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

|TRR|2:34:28|2:59:30|
    |chrislad|n/a|4:29:59|
    |nop98|n/a|3:59:59|
    |Joey Joe-Joe Jr|4:11:17|3:59:57|
    |Johnners1878|3:30:30|3:29:00|
    |boodiebhoy|3.33.37|3:29:30|

There you go sir!

|BeepBeep67|2:57:50|3:19:30|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Both kids had a vomiting bug over night. Puking every 40 minutes. They had some sort of synchronous medley relay going on where one of them was puking on me every 20 minutes. Looking forward to being sick later this evening :o If you see me today run away run away

Think your advice to me last year was 'move out' ! Hope it's a quick bug !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I seem to have messed up the table, can someone with table-OCD fix it? Pretty please?

|Mr Stew|3:14:XX| 3:59:XX|
    |Marthastew| 3:12:XX | 3:59:xx|
    |BeepBeep67|2:57:50|3:19:30|

Very, very best of luck to all with the last of the taper over the next few days and of course on the day:)

A happy return to marathon distance for Mr Stew:D:D after the curve ball that we were thrown last year;)

We are both really looking forward to pacing the 4 hour group with Meno (he says he's bringing earplugs;) ) looks like we will have a great bunch with us:)

Advertisement