Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Haha love this. My OH was giving out about the pillow barrier too.

I've found my knees really aching in my sleep. I've a pregnancy pillow that I put along my belly and between my knees. Just thought it was a random part to ache. Sounds minimal compared to all your spd woes.

Have found myself on my back more than I'd like to. I was never a back sleeper, more of a side sleeper but it's like my body goes oh you can't sleep on your back anymore? ha I'll see about that!

The pillow I got goes between my knees and along my belly (to prop the bump up when it gets bigger) but then has a little dip in it where you can lie on the dip (its only as thick as a pillowcase at this part) and there is a pillow part behind that that lies behind your back at your shoulders so it helps keep you on your left side.
    Its quite comfy and I used it to great effect last night. Had a great sleep, no mental dreams like I've been having for the past 10 nights and no pelvic pain upon waking this morning.

Digs wrote: »
    Ah brilliant shivers! Brothers - that's so exciting :)

Bonnie H&M maternity leggings are life changing!

my husband got a great kick out of your husbands comment penny, I think they like to know they're not alone! (I am currently surrounded by my fort of pillows happy as a pig in muck!)

Its a funny time for them I suppose, there is only so much they can help with during the growing the baby phase and I know my husband is very sympathetic and understanding but sometimes he just can't quite get how annoyingly frustrating certain things are: e.g. not being able to bend down to pick something up - your bend is broken for a while, that once you finally get comfy in bed and have all of the pillows arranged just as they need to be 5 feckin' minutes later you have to pee and its the end of the world, and on and on it goes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

The pillow I got goes between my knees and along my belly (to prop the bump up when it gets bigger) but then has a little dip in it where you can lie on the dip (its only as thick as a pillowcase at this part) and there is a pillow part behind that that lies behind your back at your shoulders so it helps keep you on your left side.
    Its quite comfy and I used it to great effect last night. Had a great sleep, no mental dreams like I've been having for the past 10 nights and no pelvic pain upon waking this morning.

Ooh that sounds brill. I definitely need something behind me. One I have is from Aldi so it's nothing fancy.

Ooh that sounds brill. I definitely need something behind me. One I have is from Aldi so it's nothing fancy.

I have the Dream Genii Pregnancy Support Pillow and got it on Amazon. Its really great. I used it during my first pregnancy, my sister used it for hers and now its back in my bed again for this one. Getting fabulous use out of it.

Felt my baby move properly properly for the first time last night. I'd had little movements before but wasn't always 100% sure that it really was the baby and not something else. Last night though there was no doubt and he was such a good little boy there was even one kick that was strong enough for his Dad to feel.
    I'd forgotten exactly how magical this part of pregnancy is. It off sets the feeling sick and tired and all the other bad stuff. Its a bit like when you get your baby's first smile. All of a sudden the endless amount of nappies and being tired just vanishes and you'd do anything at all for another little smile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

It's definitely the best part penny, am loving it myself especially at night when I'm in bed!

I'm looking forward to alien belly movements where the whole tummy shifts shape so I can show my daughter, she is so fascinated about the baby in Mammys tummy that I think seeing that will blow her little mind completely :)

Ah im so jealous. I'm still not sure if I've felt anything. Ive had a few pressure sensations but can't say definitely it was baby or gas. It must be unreal to feel.

It's definitely the best part penny, am loving it myself especially at night when I'm in bed!

I'm looking forward to alien belly movements where the whole tummy shifts shape so I can show my daughter, she is so fascinated about the baby in Mammys tummy that I think seeing that will blow her little mind completely :)

That will be really cool. When my GP used the doppler on my belly on Monday it was turned up really loud and the noise frightened my little girl who up to then had been playing away on the floor with her books.
    She scrambled over to me to rub my hand and kept saying " all gone Mammy all gone". It was her very sweet way of trying to comfort me in case I was upset. It was so lovely and the first time I've seen her show empathy. As she is only 16 months old too it was extra cute.
    When we were at home later on I was trying to tell her that there is a baby in my tummy. She pulled up my t-shirt and looked and shook her head and said "no baby".
    Then she discovered my belly button and decided to stick fingers in there. :eek: I hate anyone going near my belly button even they are being gentle. She wasn't gentle. :D

Ah im so jealous. I'm still not sure if I've felt anything. Ive had a few pressure sensations but can't say definitely it was baby or gas. It must be unreal to feel.

Ah yes the old "is it the baby or is it wind" dilemma.
    It probably is the baby but you'll get to know the timing of the feelings and they will happen in or around the same few places (in my experience anyway) and then you'll be sure.
    People told me that it would feel like flutters and it certainly didn't the first time or this time either. Its more like popcorn being made. Little pops as though someone is tapping you with their finger going "anyone there, anyone there?".
    Also people said you'd feel your second baby earlier than your first and I didn't and it had started to concern me a little. Then when I stopped to think back, the first time around I was so fascinated with what my body was doing that I was really involved with the pregnancy. I also had all the time in the world to rest and relax with my hands on my tummy and feel what I could feel. I felt the baby move at around 17 weeks.
    This time I'm busier with work and a wobbler and a husband that is working crazy hours and when I lie down I'm probably asleep in minutes rather than waiting patiently to feel a baby potentially move about.

Oh wait until little feet and bums are pushing their way out your tummy hazelnut, it's so surreal!

I'm a freak about my belly button too penny, little girls are sweet little creatures!

• Advertisement

Oh wait until little feet and bums are pushing their way out your tummy hazelnut, it's so surreal!

I'm a freak about my belly button too penny, little girls are sweet little creatures!

My little girl is being very sweet at the moment. Granted she is an entirely normal child and has her melt downs too - I didn't let her stick her toothbrush under the water quite enough times last night (I am certain that 10 times was more than enough) and it was the end of the world as we know it.

Ohh little feet and bums! I was on a flight when pregnant with my daughter and we hit some pretty severe turbulance. She started to move around A LOT when that happened (I was about 20/23 weeks pregnant at this stage) and the teenage boy sitting beside me was so freaked out at my belly jumping all around the place. It was hillarious.

Picked up a dream genii pillow today. Was on sale in mothercare. Hopefully will help keep me on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I do a 3 day week (Tues, Wed and Thur) and have dones since I came back from my maternity leave. It was for a few reasons, one I have RA and needed to see how being back at work would go with that and the exhaustion that comes with RA during a flare up and two, I didn't want to be away from my little girl overly much. A few days a week is good for her I think and its nice for me too not to always be someone's Mammy but doing a 3 day week is great.
    Now that I'm pregnant too I just don't think I'd have been able to cope with doing more days.

penny the 3 day week is the best thing i have ever done i still have my job and a bit of independence but i still get loads of time with my girls and bump and i love it :)

as for bellybuttons if anyone goes near it i loose the plot haha im also terrified that my bellybutton will pop out it hasnt so far on any of my pregnancy's but you never know haha, ill die

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Hey ladies, delighted to hear all well,
    I've started to feel kicks too and hubby got to feel them too. On our last baby stop kicking every time hubby put hands on my belly.
    Sickness has now really ease, need meds to help but so worth it :). I feel I can look after myself better now and my little one.
    Big scan in 3weeks can't wait, don't know if I want to find out, huge part no but I'm so excited too

Picked up a dream genii pillow today. Was on sale in mothercare. Hopefully will help keep me on my side.

Hope you had a fabulous night sleep with your new pillow!
    penny the 3 day week is the best thing i have ever done i still have my job and a bit of independence but i still get loads of time with my girls and bump and i love it :)

as for bellybuttons if anyone goes near it i loose the plot haha im also terrified that my bellybutton will pop out it hasnt so far on any of my pregnancy's but you never know haha, ill die

3 day weeks are the best. Belly buttons should stay put. Mine didn't pop out last time around and Im really hoping it doesn't this time either.
    Aveen wrote: »
    Hey ladies, delighted to hear all well,
    I've started to feel kicks too and hubby got to feel them too. On our last baby stop kicking every time hubby put hands on my belly.
    Sickness has now really ease, need meds to help but so worth it :). I feel I can look after myself better now and my little one.
    Big scan in 3weeks can't wait, don't know if I want to find out, huge part no but I'm so excited too

I was just like that last time too- too find out or not. I was a no my husband a yes and at the last minute when asked if I wanted to know I just said yes. We kept it a secret for us the whole way through too which I loved.
    This time I had a Harmony test and was asked if I wanted to know then so I said yes and have known since before Christmas that we're having a baby boy. Now we'll have one of each.

Is it weird that I am contemplating a 3rd even now?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tt2014

I know its really early days but I'm looking into joining a mother and baby group in south county Dublin for after the baby is born in June. I have googled some of them and the reviews are quite cliquey, any other way of meeting new mums as I don't know anyone myself :(

tt2014 wrote: »
    I know its really early days but I'm looking into joining a mother and baby group in south county Dublin for after the baby is born in June. I have googled some of them and the reviews are quite cliquey, any other way of meeting new mums as I don't know anyone myself :(

Hi tt2014

I can't recommend getting out to these places enough. While the reviews may seem cliquey I've found groups like that to be quite welcoming. It's an idea to go introduce yourself when you're still pregnant to get the feel for it!

Aside from the usual mother/baby groups if you plan on breastfeeding there are support groups that meet regularly, Google la leche league, same for sling meets (for sling wearing), all of these things you can go to while pregnant! Another one is the gentle birth Facebook group, I'm part of that, it's great and there are always meet ups being planned.

Aside from that I went to baby massage classes after my daughter arrived and met a lovely group of women! I've seen some baby yoga classes too which look interesting!

I'm in south Dublin also, knocklyon to be exact and there are plenty groups meeting around here and Rathfarnham area. One recommended to me is in firhouse community centre, I'm going to make it my business to get out and about to these things as much as possible this time, I didn't take enough advantage of them first time round!

I'm in firhouse! I'm just afraid I'll go and no one will talk to me or I won't know what to say, silly I know but I'll look into those groups now though. Thanks so much xx

I'm in firhouse! I'm just afraid I'll go and no one will talk to me or I won't know what to say, silly I know but I'll look into those groups now though. Thanks so much xx

I didn't join any mother and baby groups ( a friend of mine had twins a few months after me so we were off at the same time which was nice and my sisters were close by too so I was happy with the support I had that way) but I did take my daughter to swimming classes (Waterbabies for two terms) and met a really nice woman through that. We still meet up for coffee from time to time although we're both back at work now.

That's perfectly natural, it can be quite daunting! If it's something you feel you'd like to join in on take a deep breath and give it a go, sure if you don't like it you don't need to go back. I'd guarantee you there's plenty women going to the group feeing the exact same but it's nice to meet up with other girls and babies especially on maternity leave when family and friends are at work!

I might see you in the firhouse one sure, small world :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks for the advice on the jeans will definitely be paying a visit to H&M and topshop. I'm still getting away with my own jeans but the buttons have been getting a bit uncomfortable especially by the end of the day. So I picked up one of those belly belts recommended here from Mothercare. They are brilliant! So comfortable and I can use them for my work trousers aswell.

I didn't really know much about SPD so just looked it up there. God it sounds very uncomfortable. The things us pregnant women have to go through. The last few nights not sleeping great so thinking of investing in one of those dream genii pillows.

I have a bad cold/cough at the moment and its driving me mad as it can set off my nausea again even though it was gone. I went into the chemist to see if I could take anything for it. Honestly you would think I was the worst mother to be in the world they were saying 'oh no you can't take anything'. I will just have to put up with it and hope it clears soon.

Best of luck to everyone with the upcoming big 20 week scan!

Thanks so much digs, I'm going to venture up after the baby arrives, nothing ventured nothing gained, just the prep talk I needed, see you there :)

Hi Ladies,

Well I have ended up with the worst flu/chest infection ever. I tried to fight it myself but had developed a very bad cough so had to go to the doctors. Turns out I needed antibiotics + steroids!. I nearly fell off the chair when the doctor told me. It's not ideal to be taking these but what can you do?

Never in my life I have needed steroids and have not been on an antibiotics in about 6 years. I'm just warning you all that if you develop a cold/flu at the moment be very careful as when we are pregnant supposedly a simple 'cold' can be a lot more serious so don't put off going to your doctor.

With the amount of sickness I have had in this pregnancy it is increasingly looking like this baby will be an only child!

Hi appledrop, I feel your pain, big hugs!! I'm only over a really bad cold so I'm just going to recommend a few things that at least helped me a bit. Put your head over a big bowl of steam and inhale, it will help ease congestion. I made up some honey and lemon for my cough at night, that helped somewhat. Also prop yourself up at night so your lungs wont get too irritated. I also tried vicks on my feet and covered them in stock. That for me was a huge help- I just got desperate for some relief but I see you shouldn't use Vicks when pregnant but it was a tiny amount so I didn't see the harm, hope you feel better soon!

Thanks TT2014,

I tried the Vicks it was recommended by my friend as well and it has helped. At this stage after talking to my doctor I am not worrying too much about what you should/shouldn't use. A bit of vicks will do no harm when I now have to take tablets and steroids!

I hope your feeling better after your cold. Lets hope that's our dose for the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Hey what are peoples opinions on getting the flu vaccine, I was a bit unsure bout getting it but my doctor said one should as u can get complications further down the line. At last visit to the doctor she said she will wait until I'm after 18/19 weeks before getting it so I will get it at the next visit

I got mine at 14weeks. I was nervous getting it in first trimester.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bonnie_

I got the flu vaccine on Friday at 19 weeks. I didn't feel too strongly about it one way or the other. My GP was saying she had a few people in with flu so it's going around and a lot of people in work are sick too so that swayed my decision really. It was grand, had a sore arm the next day but no flu-like side effects which I had been told to expect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

bonnie_ wrote: »
    I got the flu vaccine on Friday at 19 weeks. I didn't feel too strongly about it one way or the other. My GP was saying she had a few people in with flu so it's going around and a lot of people in work are sick too so that swayed my decision really. It was grand, had a sore arm the next day but no flu-like side effects which I had been told to expect.

hi, sorry I'm lurking from the July thread! I am almost 17 weeks and my GP said last week he thinks I should get the vaccine. I wasn't too sure either, I've never had it before, but as the flu is still going around I think I might. I have had a cold that has taken ages to shift, but its more or less gone now, so I think I'll book in for it now.

Did you go to your GP for it or can it still be done in a Pharmacy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bonnie_

Hi! The nurse in my GP surgery did the vaccine for me. It cost 20 euro and takes 2 weeks to kick in. Sorry not sure about getting it at a pharmacy...

Advertisement