Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I have my big scan this afternoon and can't wait. I'm sick at the moment - horrible sore throat, aches and pains and a snotty nose. Had the flu jab so I know its not that but I feel rough.
    Feel I have to go to the GP despite the fact that I know in my heart and soul its most likely just a really nasty cold but when on the treatment I'm on for my RA you're warned to get everything checked out come hell or high water.
    I couldn't manage minding my little girl today all alone though (what a dreadful mother I am) so she is with her minder while I'm resting in bed and trying to sleep this off.

Had thoughts about a double buggy but have pressed pause on that for now. I like the Out and About but it seems very big so now I don't know what to do consider.
    Next clothes are great. Dearer than some but they last and last. I got clothes from my older sisters that they used for their kids and they were still in good condition. The stuff I got as presents for my daughter or bought myself has all last really well too and they take frequent washing really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Sounds awful penny. Rest up and mind yourself. Better off having you're little one with the minder and sleeping it off. At least that way you've a chance of recovering quickly rather than trying to do everything and making yourself worse.

Hope the scan went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

I have my big scan this afternoon and can't wait. I'm sick at the moment - horrible sore throat, aches and pains and a snotty nose. Had the flu jab so I know its not that but I feel rough.
    Feel I have to go to the GP despite the fact that I know in my heart and soul its most likely just a really nasty cold but when on the treatment I'm on for my RA you're warned to get everything checked out come hell or high water.
    I couldn't manage minding my little girl today all alone though (what a dreadful mother I am) so she is with her minder while I'm resting in bed and trying to sleep this off.

Had thoughts about a double buggy but have pressed pause on that for now. I like the Out and About but it seems very big so now I don't know what to do consider.
    Next clothes are great. Dearer than some but they last and last. I got clothes from my older sisters that they used for their kids and they were still in good condition. The stuff I got as presents for my daughter or bought myself has all last really well too and they take frequent washing really well.

Aw no penny, sorry to hear you're not feeling well :-( Hope you're scan went well xx

MAJOR UPDATE GILRS ... my scan went great buuuuuuuuut we're having a GIRL and not a boy. At my private scan at 17 weeks we were told we were having a boy. I don't mind either way but it's a bit of a shock. Lucky I kept the receipts of the few vests and baby grows I bought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

No way shivers that is mad!!!!! Congrats on your healthy little girl, how exciting :)

Imagine you'd gone the rest of the pregnancy not knowing, now that would have been some shock!

I think that's 1:boys 3:girls so far for the thread!

• Advertisement

I'm so thrilled the scan went well :-) Think I'll stick to neutral clothing etc tho juuuuuust in case !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Shivers that's mad!!!!!! It must have come as a shock. It will be lovely though to have a boy & a girl. Right that's made up my mind I'm definitely going to wait until the baby is born to find out what we are having.

I count 1 boy & 3 girls as well so far.

Penny I hope your scan went well. I'd keep an eye on that cold & if it gets any worse I'd recommend going to the doctor as I ended up with acute bronchitis & did need antibiotics.

Oh my God shivers that's unreal. I wonder how often that happens. I'll be asking them to double check the next time. Could you imagine having everything bought and then finding out. I'd better reign myself in just in case.

The scan went really well and there is no doubt at all but that we're having a boy. He isn't shy either, all the bits were on display loud and proud full frontal display proved that for certain.
    He is (in so far as you can ever tell at this stage) a perfectly healthy baby. All the bits and pieces are exactly where they need to be and are performing just as they should be too.

I spent most of the day in bed, didn't get up until 14:00. My little girl isn't herself though, rosy red cheeks, a bad cough, temp and quite clingy. I think I'll b taking her to the doctors with me at my appointment tomorrow too. I'm convinced that we both have nasty colds and nothing more than calpol, Neurofen and cuddles will be the order of the day for her and paracetamol for me and lots of rest. Still better to get it all checked out though.
    Shivers isn't that just crazy news!

Glad your scan went well penny and hope you feel better soon!

Good luck to the rest of ye girls waiting for scans can't believe we are over half way :)

I have a physiotherapy appointment this evening, not holding out hope for a miracle but my VHI covers €40 of it for 12 sessions so I'm not losing out by going!

• Advertisement

How did your physio appointmentg go Digs ? Any improvement ?

shivers27 wrote: »
    How did your physio appointmentg go Digs ? Any improvement ?

Good thanks shivers, I picked up a new pelvic support belt which is making things easier! I was also in with the consultant Tuesday and he gave me a prescription for solpadeine which I want to avoid at all costs but on days I have to get up and out it will come in handy. Ignorance was bliss on my last pregnancy but I know what to expect this time round, bracing myself for the sound of my pelvis cracking when I turn over in bed, that noise stayed with both me and my husband!

On a happier note I've figured out my maternity leave!! Including holidays I'm finishing on the 3rd may (day after the bank holiday) so technically I can convince myself I only have to get to April :)

Did you pick up any big bro/little sis stuff?

Digs wrote: »
    Good thanks shivers, I picked up a new pelvic support belt which is making things easier! I was also in with the consultant Tuesday and he gave me a prescription for solpadeine which I want to avoid at all costs but on days I have to get up and out it will come in handy. Ignorance was bliss on my last pregnancy but I know what to expect this time round, bracing myself for the sound of my pelvis cracking when I turn over in bed, that noise stayed with both me and my husband!

On a happier note I've figured out my maternity leave!! Including holidays I'm finishing on the 3rd may (day after the bank holiday) so technically I can convince myself I only have to get to April :)

Did you pick up any big bro/little sis stuff?

Oh wow it sounds like an awful thing to have. Poor you :-( Glad the support belt is helping a bit and it's good to have the option of the solpadeine for really bad days.

3 rd of May ??! Brilliant , that's so close :-) I think I'll be finishing May 19th which isn't the worst either.

No ya know what I'm afraid to buy anything girly or with little sister or anything on in case it's a boy. I must pick up the big brother tshirt tho. I'm going to town tomorrow so will have a look xx

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Hey ladies, had big scan today, so nice to see and hear all healthy 😊
    Did find out the sex, I have DS already would love a girl ( I know that sound bad) but to been honest healthy is my main preference. Either way I can wait to meet baby
    Hope everyone doing well

Congrats on healthy baba aveen, it's a bit relief alright :)

Ah I totally get it shivers, I'd say you don't know what to think re the gender, best to have a girl and a boy name ready to go anyway :)

Maternity leave really can't come quick enough, I don't know what's wrong with me lately, I'm usually a coper (is that a word?? As in I cope well!) but this week work has me in tears, I just can't tolerate things as well as usual and I find myself biting my lip alot. Dreading going back Monday, hopefully this week will be a better one.

There must be something in the air Digs. I cried my eyes out Thursday and have definitely felt emotional and completely irrational this week. Surge in pregnancy hormones maybe?

Congrats on your scan Aveen! Great to know all is going well.

Digs I'd say that you are feeling like that at the moment because you have been in so much pain with the spd. I will never forget how miserable I felt in my first trimester because I was having such an awful time. Pregnancy can be difficult & we all have our ups & downs at different stages. I'm doing well at the moment & keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay that way.

Keep the chin up ladies a good cry does no harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tt2014

There is something definitely in the air, I woke up this morning crying for no reason, big hugs girls, I felt especially sorry for my husband last weekend, my appetite has been so bad so he treated me to a lovely meal out, I enjoyed it so much I ate it all up along with a big hot chocolate, all weekend I couldnt feel the baby move, I thought I killed it by eating too much so I called into my gp, he did the Doppler just to ease my fears, he said that was the maddest thing he ever heard, funny old hormones :)

Ah thanks girls, while I don't wish dippy hormones on anyone it is nice to hear you're not the only one feeling Like this.

Apple I think you might be right, well it's def a combination of things. Like most women I'm guilty of not saying no and taking a step back and as a result I think I'm a bit exhausted and over whelmed. My husband is pushing me to get a cert from the doc but will see how I go this week!

Doesn't help for the past two weeks my 2yr old is up at all hours during the night and 5.30am is now her new wake up time!! Don't know what's wrong with her either but my god are we tired!

Hope everyone is feeling a bit brighter this week :)

I am so so tired. Having been sick last week and my 17 month old month daughter sick at the same time I'm just wiped. I had to give in and start her on an antibiotic on Saturday which has helped her big time and she is well on the road to recovery now thankfully. However, I have to get up at 3am and give it to her every night/ morning from now until Friday and the broken nights sleep is killing me. She is also at the cranky stage of sickness now - better enough to be fed up at the fact that she still isn't 100% and is a toddler too.
    I'm back to work tomorrow ..... Haven't set a date for my maternity leave yet but think I have at the most only 15 more weeks to be at work. I'm off the last week in February too for a week in the canaries and a few days in March as well.
    Cannot wait for a rest.
    Little baby boy is doing well though, flying along and getting bigger and more active every day which is great news.

• Advertisement

Aveen wrote: »
    Hey ladies, had big scan today, so nice to see and hear all healthy 😊
    Did find out the sex, I have DS already would love a girl ( I know that sound bad) but to been honest healthy is my main preference. Either way I can wait to meet baby
    Hope everyone doing well

Congratulations on your healthy scan, such a relief isn't it :-)

Poor ladies been under the weather I hope you're all on the mend. I'm definitely feeling this pregnancy, feeling like I'm getting psd ( discomfort with walking but more around c scar), I'll speak with GP on my next appointment. My first pregnancy was too easy, feeling like a moan on this one.

Another question ( probably ask already) about I'm in two minds about the flu vac. I'm pregnant & health care worker, didn't get on my last but with the news report I'm thinking

Poor ladies been under the weather I hope you're all on the mend. I'm definitely feeling this pregnancy, feeling like I'm getting psd ( discomfort with walking but more around c scar), I'll speak with GP on my next appointment. My first pregnancy was too easy, feeling like a moan on this one.

Another question ( probably ask already) about I'm in two minds about the flu vac. I'm pregnant & health care worker, didn't get on my last but with the news report I'm thinking

I'm much more vocal on the pregnancy too when it comes to doctors etc I have a prescription for heartburn medication already whereas last time I suffered on not opening my mouth!

I'm probably very much in the minority but I'm not getting the vaccine, I didn't on my last pregnancy either. I've discussed it with my gp and consultant and they're happy if I am to leave it, infact I had to bring it up with them not the other way round and it was the same on baby number one. I haven't felt any pressure to get it.

There might be a greater need to get it if you work in healthcare though so def speak to your GP and do your research.

I work in an acute hospital (granted with very limited patient contact) and got the flu vaccine this time around. Given how sick I was last week I was very glad that I had actually gotten it.
    I am also more immuno compromised as I have RA so that did tip the scales in favour of getting the vaccine. To be honest though I got the vaccine before I even knew / realised I was pregnant because of the RA and treatment I'm on for it. :o
    It was a simple straightforward injection and I had absolutely zero side effects from it.

I have decided not to get the flu jab. Initially my reasoning was that I am never sick so didn't see the point. Also my mother has been advised to get it every year and hasn't in the last two years because she always seemed to have a bad reaction after the jab.

However I did end up with a very severe chest infection & needed an inhaler which I have never had in my life so I understand now why pregnant women are advised to get the jab. In saying that it would have been no good in my case as it wasn't 'the flu' that I had. It's a personal choice really and up to the individual to decide what is best for them.

Think I'm getting a cold or something. Throat is quite sore and it's making my ears feel very scratchy too. What, if anything, can i take?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tt2014

Gargle salt water, up the fluid intake and rest, that's all I'm afraid :( not too much longer to go ladies!!!

Think I'm getting a cold or something. Throat is quite sore and it's making my ears feel very scratchy too. What, if anything, can i take?

I found honey and lemon in warm water pretty good. Hope it passes very quickly :-)

• Advertisement

Hazelnut I was sick at Christmas and went to the chemist initially, she gave me a ecoforce nasal spray and a throat spray which had all natural ingredients, can't remember the name. She couldn't give me strepsils as they contain alcohol :/

Aside from that like the others said gargle warm water and salt and the honey and lemon. Mine turned into a terrible infection though which warranted antibiotics and a steroid, I was so ill! So just keep an eye on it, immune systems are much lower when pregnant!

Advertisement