Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Thanks ladies. I'm sipping hot water with honey and lemon now. Hopefully it's nothing too bad. I've this week off so a bit of rest should help. I'm back in hospital wed so if it's still lingering I'll see what they say.

On a positive note, 24 weeks today. Big milestone. It's all getting very real now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Yeah Hazelnut it's s big milestone! My friend had her son at 23wks 6days and this pregnancy and last that gestational age sticks in my head and I'm always so happy to get that far.

He's a super adorable, smiley, gorgeous 4 year old boy now and he is just a miracle on this earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Hazlenut the honey and lemon in water helps but as Digs said keep an eye on it. Mine started similar and I ended up on antibiotics and I haven't been on them in about 5 years. Pregnancy really causes havoc with your immune system.

I'm 22 weeks now and have my big scan on Tuesday so excited and nervous at the same time. I can feel the baby moving everyday now. It was a bit mad at first but getting used to it now.

It's getting very real now ladies hopefully the rest of the time will fly!

Goodluck with the big scan appledrop!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tt2014

im set to go for my second scan on Wednesday, it all feels so surreal, very exciting times!!! June is only a stones throw away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

All the best for your scan today Appledrop. I hope you love it.

I'm back into the Coombe today too. Hard to believe I am 23 going on 24 weeks. I have at most only 14 more weeks to work after this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Hope all the scans and hospital appointments go well :-)

I have GP the beginning of March then hospital March 30th for GTT and doctor.

I was in bits over the weekend ... Worst Valentine's Day EVER ! Had vomiting and diarrhoea sat night and Sunday morning ... Wouldn't wish it upon anyone !! Don't know where I picked it up ? Thankfully my OH and son didn't catch it from me. Feel just about right today :-)

So ladies I had my big scan today and all went well:) It's mad the amount of different measurements they take. It was lovely to see the baby moving and sucking it's thumb! We both took the day off so it was lovely to spend the day together afterwards in town.

TT2014 best of luck with your scan tomorrow! Penny dreadful hope all went well for you as well. I can't believe how little time we actually have left in work when you start to look at the weeks. The first trimester felt like forever to me but this one is flying along!

Sorry to hear you were unwell Shivers. You must have picked up a bug. Hope your on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bonnie_

Hope you're feeling better Shivers, that sounds like a horrible dose.
    Lovely to hear all the news from everyone on the scans. We had ours a couple of weeks ago and all was good and on track. We found out its a girl and are delighted! We are keeping that to ourselves for now although I tripped myself with one of my work colleagues already!
    Apart from that all is fairly normal with me. I've had a cold the past couple of weeks that wasn't too bad but I can't seem to shake off fully. General energy levels are still not great, I'm trying to stay active getting to the pool about once a week and still cycling to work. Lots of people are giving me grief about the cycling (except the midwife who was happy to hear I'm on the bike! ). Going to keep going for a bit longer anyway I'll know myself when to give it up.

shivers27 wrote: »
    Hope all the scans and hospital appointments go well :-)

I have GP the beginning of March then hospital March 30th for GTT and doctor.

I was in bits over the weekend ... Worst Valentine's Day EVER ! Had vomiting and diarrhoea sat night and Sunday morning ... Wouldn't wish it upon anyone !! Don't know where I picked it up ? Thankfully my OH and son didn't catch it from me. Feel just about right today :-)

Poor you. :(Its so horrible being sick like that at the best of times, throw in being pregnant and having to negotiate a baby bump while throwing up and trying to get comfy in bed and it just goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. I'm glad you're feeling bettter now.
    appledrop wrote: »
    So ladies I had my big scan today and all went well:) It's mad the amount of different measurements they take. It was lovely to see the baby moving and sucking it's thumb! We both took the day off so it was lovely to spend the day together afterwards in town.

TT2014 best of luck with your scan tomorrow! Penny dreadful hope all went well for you as well. I can't believe how little time we actually have left in work when you start to look at the weeks. The first trimester felt like forever to me but this one is flying along!

Sorry to hear you were unwell Shivers. You must have picked up a bug. Hope your on the mend.

Congrats on the scan Appledrop. My appointment yesterday went really well. My consultant was delighted with the details of the big scan and like you I was a little takenaback at the level of detail and measurements they get excited about - blood vessels in the umbilican cord and speed of blood flow through the chambers of the heart, quality and placement of the placenta, etc. I know it all matters so much to ensure the baby gets all they need while in utero and it allows for preparation for any potential speedbumps during delivery but once I hear that they're happy with how things look and the baby is ok I just focus on enjoying having a little peek at my baby and seeing what stuff he is getting up to on the inside.
    bonnie_ wrote: »
    Hope you're feeling better Shivers, that sounds like a horrible dose.
    Lovely to hear all the news from everyone on the scans. We had ours a couple of weeks ago and all was good and on track. We found out its a girl and are delighted! We are keeping that to ourselves for now although I tripped myself with one of my work colleagues already!
    Apart from that all is fairly normal with me. I've had a cold the past couple of weeks that wasn't too bad but I can't seem to shake off fully. General energy levels are still not great, I'm trying to stay active getting to the pool about once a week and still cycling to work. Lots of people are giving me grief about the cycling (except the midwife who was happy to hear I'm on the bike! ). Going to keep going for a bit longer anyway I'll know myself when to give it up.

Fair play to you for continuing to exercise. Once you and your baby and healthcare team are happy with how you're progressing and what you're doing then you know you're being ok and careful enough. Some people always just have to have an opinion on what you do/eat/say/think/feel/etc etc while pregnant. They just seem unable to keep their opinions to themselves.
    When I was pregnant on my first I was cycling to work and I was concerned about it. My doctor said it was fine to do as long as my balance was ok. Once I felt I might be over balanced then it was time to give it up in case I wasn't able to save myself from falling in the event of a fall or bump from the bike. As it turned out my SPD got so bad that it put an end to my cycling before the size of my bump could but until that point no harm came to me or the baby.

Last time out we found out we were having a girl and kept it quiet too. This time around we're having a boy and have kept that news to ourselves again. I just like the idea of having something thats still just for us, maybe thats silly. A few times I've slipped up and referred to the baby or bump as "he". When asked about that I just say "ah sure I've been feeling so sick/different/whatever this time compared to the last time it can only be a boy" and pass it off like that.

• Advertisement

Had 24week appointment this morning. Quickest one yet. In and out in 15mins. Seen midwife who checked urine, blood pressure and measured bump. Also got to hear heartbeat. Nice and strong. First time we haven't been scanned. But honestly didn't mind. Feeling lots of wriggles so that's good enough for me.

Shivers hope you feel better soon. Vomiting bug seems to be doing the rounds. Sounds horrific. Mind yourself.

I'm making the most of my week off, resting up. Throat is still very raw and cough is a bit chesty but honey and lemon is soothing it so will just keep going with that.

Hope everyone else is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

hey girls been missing from here for a while, zero hours in the day for me to catch up, so busy in work its crazy tbh im looking forward to finishing up now at this stage,

great to read that everyone is doing so well baby wise sorry to hear that some of ye were sick though, its not nice at all being sick when your pregnant i think it just makes it so much worse.

24 weeks here now find this stage to be flying now energy levels are better then what they were but once my 2 girls are in bed at night im fit for nothing only couch soaps and bed. im being treated to a night away next weekend i cant wait we are heading to killarney just me and hubby for the night and my sister is taking the girls for me, cant wait for the break and to be able to eat a meal while the food is still hot :) and i might even treat myself to a facial too, ah the simple things :)

How are people feeling? I'm over the worst of my cold. Just a bit stuffed up.

Just wondering how much movement people are feeling? At my last hospital appointment they said to start monitoring and that you should be feeling 10 movements in 12 hours. I definitely notice some days are more active than others. Yesterday was very quiet. I'd say I had 10 movements but not much more.

I've an anterior placenta so I know that can affect how much you feel. One thing I'm curious about is strength of the movements. In general mine are still very light flutters and then I get the odd stronger one here and there. Some I still question was that movement? You hear people saying about the baby kicking the life out of them. Definitely haven't experienced that yet. Just curious what others feel I suppose.

Harsh lesson learned over here, managed to catch the flu. Am on my 9th day in bed although a bit of progress yesterday and managed to get out of it for half an hour. Will be back to the GP next week with my tail between my legs for the vaccine. Last week was scarey but the anti virals she put me on insured it didn't develop into pneumonia or anything worse.

Hazelnut I would have thought its early to be counting kicks etc I don't think they regularise until 28 weeks ish, certainly nothing has been said to me. My lady is very active, like her sister, I can see my tummy roll and recognise the thuds as her moving about but I managed to lose 4KG since last week and am below the weight I was before I got pregnant and I wasn't in any need to lose weight so I don't know if that accounts for how much I feel her. She's by no means kicking the life out of me yet, movements now are nothing compared to how things were in the third trimester last time! She has her quiet and active times, more active at night especially when I'm on my right side ;)

My first was breech until she was 36 weeks and I think this lady is the same as the movements and patterns are the exact same, that could make a difference with what I'm feeling.

Hope everyone else is getting on well. 24 weeks today, this is just flying by.

ETA: sorry hazelnut I also don't have an anterior placenta do I would say that makes a big difference, from what I hear they can cushion the kicks big time so your baby could be line dancing in there and you'd be none the wiser :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Just wondering how much movement people are feeling? At my last hospital appointment they said to start monitoring and that you should be feeling 10 movements in 12 hours. I definitely notice some days are more active than others. Yesterday was very quiet. I'd say I had 10 movements but not much more.

I've an anterior placenta so I know that can affect how much you feel. One thing I'm curious about is strength of the movements. In general mine are still very light flutters and then I get the odd stronger one here and there. Some I still question was that movement? You hear people saying about the baby kicking the life out of them. Definitely haven't experienced that yet. Just curious what others feel I suppose.

Jumping over from the May thread. I have an Anterior placenta also and was really worried about movement, so much so I ended up going in and being monitored, baby was moving during the monitoring but I wasn't feeling all of them. My placenta is anterior and front and centre so blocks a lot of the main movement. Also the placenta can be quite thick so acts like a cushion for babies movement which is why they are not as strong. I have developed times when baby is more active so I make sure to montior during these times. You also need to spot where you can feel baby move, mine is breech so i feel a lot of movement below the placenta. My midwife referred me to the kickscount website which has some information on Anterior placenta and movement. Some other useful information here. I know others have been kept awake at night with movement but an Anterior placenta might prevent this from happening, one good thing I suppose.

Hi Hazelnut,

I have an anterior placenta too. I had it with my boy as well. I feel movements , like little twitches very low now at my pubic area. I think with my boy after around 28/29 weeks I could feel proper big kicks and movements :-)

Digs wrote: »
    Harsh lesson learned over here, managed to catch the flu. Am on my 9th day in bed although a bit of progress yesterday and managed to get out of it for half an hour. Will be back to the GP next week with my tail between my legs for the vaccine. Last week was scarey but the anti virals she put me on insured it didn't develop into pneumonia or anything worse.

Hazelnut I would have thought its early to be counting kicks etc I don't think they regularise until 28 weeks ish, certainly nothing has been said to me. My lady is very active, like her sister, I can see my tummy roll and recognise the thuds as her moving about but I managed to lose 4KG since last week and am below the weight I was before I got pregnant and I wasn't in any need to lose weight so I don't know if that accounts for how much I feel her. She's by no means kicking the life out of me yet, movements now are nothing compared to how things were in the third trimester last time! She has her quiet and active times, more active at night especially when I'm on my right side ;)

My first was breech until she was 36 weeks and I think this lady is the same as the movements and patterns are the exact same, that could make a difference with what I'm feeling.

Hope everyone else is getting on well. 24 weeks today, this is just flying by.

ETA: sorry hazelnut I also don't have an anterior placenta do I would say that makes a big difference, from what I hear they can cushion the kicks big time so your baby could be line dancing in there and you'd be none the wiser :)

Aw no Digs, so sorry to hear you were so unwell :-( I didn't get the flu vaccine either and really hoping I don't regret it !! Hope your appetite picks up a bit. Mind yourself xx

Hi Hazelnut,

I have an anterior placenta too. I had it with my boy as well. I feel movements , like little twitches very low now at my pubic area. I think with my boy after around 28/29 weeks I could feel proper big kicks and movements :-)

Thanks everyone. Very reassuring to hear shivers

Aw no Digs, so sorry to hear you were so unwell :-( I didn't get the flu vaccine either and really hoping I don't regret it !! Hope your appetite picks up a bit. Mind yourself xx

Ah do you know what you might be absolutely fine, I'm having crappy luck lately, picking up everything going when usually I've an immune system like an ox! I'm blaming the luas, packed on like sardines, everyone breathing on each other, it's a bit gross really :( I drove to work on my last pregnancy and really miss it now. Less than 10 weeks until I finish up, can almost say I'm in single digits!

Appetite definitely returning, I'm sensing a Diep in my future :) thanks shivers :)

Ah no Digs can't believe you were that sick for nearly two week! Hope your on the mend now. I know what you mean about the immune system. I have never been as sick as I have since becoming pregnant!

Just this weekend I picked up a 24 hour vomiting bug and had a bit of a meltdown:( I thought my vomiting was back & was bawling over it. Luckily my husband checked my temperature and it was over 100 so he knew it was a bug and sent me to bed. Totally fine now and doing well again but it was horrible to remember back to that first trimester.

Hazelnut Button this is my first and I do have a good bit of movement. Sometimes it is light enough but other times it is very strong. It's different for everyone though and every baby so I'm very surprised they were telling you to measure an exact amount over a certain time period. All my consultant asked me was if I was feeling some movement everyday.

Also one of my pregnancy books 'Your pregnancy week by week' by Professor Lesley Regan, discussed this. She would be of the opinion that what is important is that you are feeling movements and whether you notice any change in what is normal for you and your baby and not how many. Every baby is different and as you said Hazelnut we all carry them differently and this can have an effect on how much we feel the movements.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all the replies. I was curious as to what other people feel and experience. I know we're all different and that it's completely normal to have quiet periods especially with anterior placenta and carrying a bit of weight too.

I'm my own worst enemy. I've been saying all along, I'll relax once I start feeling movement. Now I'm feeling movement I'm obsessing over whether it's enough. I've my poor OH driven demented. I'm doing my best to snap myself out of it. I know I'm not doing the baby any good being anxious the whole way through this pregnancy. It's been a tough road to get this far, I need to have faith now that all will be ok.

Sorry to hear some of you have been unwell. It's so much rougher being ill when pregnant and not being able to do much about it. Hope you're all back on your feet again. Thanks again for all your lovely replies.

So ladies how are we all doing. Well I have a burst of energy this weekend so decided to take advantage of it and start getting more organised with the nursery!

Have the cot & chest of drawers on order now and a crib purchased as well. In the process of deciding on paint colours and decorations for the room. We will have some time off at Easter so hopefully we will be able to start getting the room ready.

Have any of you ever used one of those perfect prep machines for making the bottles? Thinking it might be very handy for night time feeds. The thoughts of boiling a kettle and letting it cool for 30 minutes at 3am in the morning when you have a hungry baby sounds like a nightmare:confused:

Planning on giving the breast feeding a go but having seen friends go through it with positive and negative experiences I'm realistic about how thing may work out.

appledrop wrote: »
    So ladies how are we all doing. Well I have a burst of energy this weekend so decided to take advantage of it and start getting more organised with the nursery!

Have the cot & chest of drawers on order now and a crib purchased as well. In the process of deciding on paint colours and decorations for the room. We will have some time off at Easter so hopefully we will be able to start getting the room ready.

Have any of you ever used one of those perfect prep machines for making the bottles? Thinking it might be very handy for night time feeds. The thoughts of boiling a kettle and letting it cool for 30 minutes at 3am in the morning when you have a hungry baby sounds like a nightmare:confused:

Planning on giving the breast feeding a go but having seen friends go through it with positive and negative experiences I'm realistic about how thing may work out.

I breast fed for a few weeks but stopped then for a variety of reasons and then moved to bottles. I didn't make the night feeds from scratch ever. Bad mother alert ahead! I boiled the kettle and put the water when cooled (it's for a max of 30 minutes by the way not exactly 30 mins. If you do it too soon you'll damage the bottles and they'll spring a leak but if it's cool enough at 15/20 then it's fine) into 6 bottles and put those in the fridge.
    When my daughter was only a few weeks and being fed regularly at night my husband would give her a feed at 11pm and then make up the other bottle and take it upstairs with him to bed. Then when she woke or need a feed a few hours later I just gave that to her at room temperature.
    Granted she was born in September and so the heating wasn't on for those hours and so it was cool in her bedroom.

It's everyone choice as to how rigid they want to be around bottle prep though but doing it that way didn't cause my daughter an iota of harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I boiled the kettle and put the water when cooled (it's for a max of 30 minutes by the way not exactly 30 mins. If you do it too soon you'll damage the bottles and they'll spring a leak but if it's cool enough at 15/20 then it's fine) into 6 bottles and put those in the fridge.

I think the 30 mins cooling in the kettle is what HSE have tested to get the water to 70 deg C. At 70 deg C it is hot enough to kill the bacteria in the forumla but not so hot that it destroys the nutrients.

Any cooler and it mightn't kill the bacteria. Any hotter and it might kill too many nutrients.

But this only applies if you're adding forumla to the water after 30 mins of course. The way you describe, putting the bottles of water in the fridge and adding formula later, then all you need to take into account is damaging the bottle as you say.

I've only gone and put my back out. Pain is agonizing. Didn't sleep well at all last night with it. Just back from the doctor... paracetamol, rest and don't stay in the same position too long was what he advised. Here's hoping it sorts itself quickly. It's made me realize how much of a wuss I am when it comes to pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I've only gone and put my back out. Pain is agonizing. Didn't sleep well at all last night with it. Just back from the doctor... paracetamol, rest and don't stay in the same position too long was what he advised. Here's hoping it sorts itself quickly. It's made me realize how much of a wuss I am when it comes to pain!

You poor thing

A heat pack under your back when lying down with your hips and knees bent at 90 degrees (legs propped up on cushions or pillows) can give you ease for short periods.

Also sitting reclined back with the back supported and the leg on your worst side bent up and let fall off gently off to the side are both positions of ease that place the muscles of the back and nerves in a position of least tension.

Get better soon. x

Rogueish wrote: »
    You poor thing

A heat pack under your back when lying down with your hips and knees bent at 90 degrees (legs propped up on cushions or pillows) can give you ease for short periods.

Also sitting reclined back with the back supported and the leg on your worst side bent up and let fall off gently off to the side are both positions of ease that place the muscles of the back and nerves in a position of least tension.

Get better soon. x

Will definitely try these. Thanks so much.

That sucks big time sorry to hear it:(
    Rogueish wrote: »
    You poor thing

Get better soon. x

All of these things work a treat. I had a fair bit of pain and discomfort last time around and have started to have it again now. For day to day stuff when I'm at work I also rub winter green and menthol cream into my back and it helps a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Sorry to hear you hurt your back, if you have a hot water bottle it will be your best friend i swear by mine be lost without it x

Was at my GP yesterday everything looking great my bp WAAF the best it's ever ever been a tad low for me really but still working the normal range, I WAAF offered the flu vaccine and the whopping cough vaccine yesterday in a bit unsure about both really, have any of the gotten them?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you hurt your back, if you have a hot water bottle it will be your best friend i swear by mine be lost without it x

Was at my GP yesterday everything looking great my bp WAAF the best it's ever ever been a tad low for me really but still working the normal range, I WAAF offered the flu vaccine and the whopping cough vaccine yesterday in a bit unsure about both really, have any of the gotten them?

Got the flu vaccine on this pregnancy, didn't on the last one. Opted for it this time as I have RA and the drugs I'm on for that leave you quite open to getting things like the flu. Pregnant or not I'd have had to get it. I also have to get the pneumonia vaccine too but closer to the end of my pregnancy is advised for that.
    I have also been enouraged by my obstetrician to get the whooping cough vaccine and that is for the baby rather than me. I'm not at risk for the illness but my drugs for RA will leave the baby slightly at risk of such infections for a few weeks post birth and so the vaccine will help guard against that for them.
    I think you have to be 28 weeks to get it? I'll be 27 weeks at my next appointment and have it on my list of things to discuss with her then.

Advertisement