Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

I got flu vaccine and I'm due to get whooping cough next week.

Hot water bottle hasn't left my back since Saturday. I've literally got it stuffed into my trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Thanks girls I had just never been offered it in either of my previous pregnancies do an a bit unsure really x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Well talk about being at the mercy of your pregnancy hormones! Having gotten very upset with my husband early in evening (over nothing much really but susshh we won't tell him that;)) I watched Prime Time last night and found myself starting to find Simon Covney terribly attractive. :confused:

Shocking carry on all together.

Granted it would have been a whole other kettle of fish if it had been Shane Ross or Mick Wallace:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Well talk about being at the mercy of your pregnancy hormones! Having gotten very upset with my husband early in evening (over nothing much really but susshh we won't tell him that;)) I watched Prime Time last night and found myself starting to find Simon Covney terribly attractive. :confused:

Shocking carry on all together.

Granted it would have been a whole other kettle of fish if it had been Shane Ross or Mick Wallace:eek:

Simon isnt bad looking in fairness to him, now what is really disturbing is having naughty dreams about a certain donald trump, omg the shock i got when i woke up, my husband found it really amusing, `took me a while to get over that, what is it with pregnancy and weird dreams, mad stuff

Henwin wrote: »
    Simon isnt bad looking in fairness to him, now what is really disturbing is having naughty dreams about a certain donald trump, omg the shock i got when i woke up, my husband found it really amusing, `took me a while to get over that, what is it with pregnancy and weird dreams, mad stuff

Suddenly I feel all kinds of ok about Simon. :D:D Naughty dreams about The Donald:eek: I laughed so much at that I had to confess what I was reading to the woman I share my office with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks for the replies about the bottles ladies. It's good to know that in the real world people do make up bottles in advance. I swear if you went by all the recommended advice you would get nothing done! Still might invest in the machine it would be handy to have as well.

Hope your feeling better Hazelnut. I have been lucky enough so far not suffering any back pain.

Ladies the weird dreams are hilarious. I have read that it can happen when your pregnant. I've found the opposite happen to me. I would usually have very vivid dreams but since I've become pregnant I rarely remember my dreams. Can't wait to hear who is up next;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

I did the same as Penny .. Made up 6 bottles together as per guidelines , cooled down ASAP and stored in the fridge for 24 hours. My little fella never ran into any problems doing it this way.

Hazelnut ... My back is fairly bad recently too :-( Hot water bottle and difene gel work well for me. Hope you're better soon.

Betsie ... Im going to get the whooping cough vaccine this pregnancy. Have heard whooping cough is really on the increase. I'll get it with my GP at the next visit.

Time is really flying now isn't it :-) I've got 11 weeks left in work.. Counting down the weeks now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Appledrop there's a thread on newborn and toddlers board about bottle feeding etc and a few people mentioned those machines, might be worth a read!

We picked up an absolute bargain the other day, got a second hand out and about nipper for €150, we nearly ran out the door before she changed her mind it's perfect, don't think it was used much and she wanted rid as it was taking up space. Delighted! Looking forward to summer walks with my two girls :) my sis in law gave us her co sleeper aswell and I'm thrilled, I wasn't a mad fan of the Moses basket and she said the sleeper makes breastfeeding all the easier so am very glad of it. Just a sling to pick up now, am going to go to a sling meet or two and see what suits us.

Hope the backs improve soon girls, the pain is lousy you have my sympathies. Rest is so important (easier said than done when you're working full time I know!) I was off for two weeks with that flu and my pelvis was so much the better for it, back with a bang this week though.

Shivers time really is flying. I'm in single digits, 8 weeks!! My belly button popped out this week and has heightened my daughters fascination with this whole pregnancy thing! She thinks it's hilarious.

Hmmmm Simon coveney and Donald trump I'm not too sure..... Tom hardy on the other hand, he's welcome in my dreams any day!

shivers27 wrote: »

Hazelnut ... My back is fairly bad recently too :-( Hot water bottle and difene gel work well for me. Hope you're better soon.

It's my own fault. I put it out trying to help my sister move house. I thought I was superwoman. Going to physio tomorrow so hoping that helps as it hasn't eased at all.

Difene gel? Doc told me anti inflammatories of any kind were a big no no. He even advised against the likes of deep heat. I've been taking paracetamol and have had a hot water bottle glued to my back constantly.

It's mad how you get such conflicting advice once pregnant isn't it? One person says something is fine and another tells you no way. There's no straight answer once you mention pregnancy

Digs wrote: »
    Appledrop there's a thread on newborn and toddlers board about bottle feeding etc and a few people mentioned those machines, might be worth a read!

We picked up an absolute bargain the other day, got a second hand out and about nipper for €150, we nearly ran out the door before she changed her mind it's perfect, don't think it was used much and she wanted rid as it was taking up space. Delighted! Looking forward to summer walks with my two girls :) my sis in law gave us her co sleeper aswell and I'm thrilled, I wasn't a mad fan of the Moses basket and she said the sleeper makes breastfeeding all the easier so am very glad of it. Just a sling to pick up now, am going to go to a sling meet or two and see what suits us.

Hope the backs improve soon girls, the pain is lousy you have my sympathies. Rest is so important (easier said than done when you're working full time I know!) I was off for two weeks with that flu and my pelvis was so much the better for it, back with a bang this week though.

Shivers time really is flying. I'm in single digits, 8 weeks!! My belly button popped out this week and has heightened my daughters fascination with this whole pregnancy thing! She thinks it's hilarious.

Hmmmm Simon coveney and Donald trump I'm not too sure..... Tom hardy on the other hand, he's welcome in my dreams any day!

Wahoo .. I love a good bargain :-)

• Advertisement

It's my own fault. I put it out trying to help my sister move house. I thought I was superwoman. Going to physio tomorrow so hoping that helps as it hasn't eased at all.

Difene gel? Doc told me anti inflammatories of any kind were a big no no. He even advised against the likes of deep heat. I've been taking paracetamol and have had a hot water bottle glued to my back constantly.

It's mad how you get such conflicting advice once pregnant isn't it? One person says something is fine and another tells you no way. There's no straight answer once you mention pregnancy

Oh god really Hazelnut ??! My GP said it was fine to use. Don't know weather to continue using it or not. In fairness I've only used it when really bad so probably 3/4 times. I haven't even taken paracetamol !

Oh god really Hazelnut ??! My GP said it was fine to use. Don't know weather to continue using it or not. In fairness I've only used it when really bad so probably 3/4 times. I haven't even taken paracetamol !

I'm sure it's fine. This is what I mean about conflicting advice. It's so frustrating. You're nervous/anxious enough as it is. I'm only taking paracetamol when I really need it as I'm not comfortable taking anything if I can help it.

Ps: Tom Hardy.... Oh what I wouldn't do to him!

Someone once said to me that if you tried to buy a bar of chocolate in the Chemist and they found out you were pregnant they'd tell you that you couldn't have it. :p

Difene is out I'm afraid but the cream I mentioned before - mentol and wintergreen (you can get it in Boots and most good pharmacies) is allowed (according to two pharmacists I spoke to anyway) and I used it a lot during my last pregnancy and am doing so again in this one. There have been zero ill affects as a result.

My ankles are killing me. Its weird. I started to get swollen ankles only two weeks before my daughter was born last time out (33/34 weeks when that started) so its a lot earlier this time (25/26 weeks now).
    Granted I didn't help the situation last night by picking my little girl up from the minder at 6pm and not actually sitting down until 9:30pm - was busy putting her to bed, doing laundry, making dinner, ironing, etc. Husband having a week of it at work and he wasn't home until 10pm either.
    Decided to be sensible today though and dragged out the super sexy pregnancy support stockings. :eek: They're hidden under my trousers though so only I will know about what lurks beneath.:D

Someone once said to me that if you tried to buy a bar of chocolate in the Chemist and they found out you were pregnant they'd tell you that you couldn't have it. :D

This is so true Penny. When I had the bad chest infection in January + I originally thought it was just a cold I thought it was mad that there was no over the counter remedies that you could take. My local pharmacist is very nice and he was explaining that with a lot of products there is no evidence that they do any harm but because they don't have enough evidence/research the chemists/ companies have to cover themselves by saying not to take them during pregnancy.

Thanks Penny, I'll definitelyb try that menthol and wintergreen cream :-)

Thanks Penny, I'll definitelyb try that menthol and wintergreen cream :-)

It works in the same way as deep heat but doesn't smell quite so.........distinctive let's say. Also when you wash your hands after applying it the smell actually leaves your hands unlike deep heat. Also it doesn't stain your clothes either.
    I have very sensitive skin and can't use deep heat any more (or many other such creams) without breaking out in a massive rash, the menthol cream is very gentle on your skin too and I've never reacted badly to it.

Had a really rough day and feeling very sorry for myself. Physio confirmed I've done a disc in my back. Then got a call from hospital to say I have gestational diabetes (had glucose test this morning). Feel really upset about it, don't know why. Hormones? Hoping I'll know more after hospital appointment next week. Just want babs to be ok.

Had a really rough day and feeling very sorry for myself. Physio confirmed I've done a disc in my back. Then got a call from hospital to say I have gestational diabetes (had glucose test this morning). Feel really upset about it, don't know why. Hormones? Hoping I'll know more after hospital appointment next week. Just want babs to be ok.

Aw sorry to hear you're having a rough day :-( I had gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy. I didn't require any medication thankfully. I controlled it through diet alone. Even being 100% strict with diet doesnt work for everyone and some might need medication. I attended a group education class firstly then had to attend hospital for a blood test every 2 weeks .

I have my diabetes test march 30th so will find out then if I have it again .

Aw sorry to hear you're having a rough day :-( I had gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy. I didn't require any medication thankfully. I controlled it through diet alone. Even being 100% strict with diet doesnt work for everyone and some might need medication. I attended a group education class firstly then had to attend hospital for a blood test every 2 weeks .

I have my diabetes test march 30th so will find out then if I have it again .

Hoping it's not too serious and diet and exercise is enough to keep everything in check. Worst part is not really knowing any info yet. Didn't say much on the phone so hopefully I'll be a bit wiser next week. Did your partner go to the class with you?

Hoping it's not too serious and diet and exercise is enough to keep everything in check. Worst part is not really knowing any info yet. Didn't say much on the phone so hopefully I'll be a bit wiser next week. Did your partner go to the class with you?

Not sure what hospital you attend but in Rotunda, the first thing they do is bring you in for an educational class on diet and exercise. It might be the same for you. No partners were allowed to my class. It will all be fine, try not to worry too much. I blamed myself initialy and got a bit tearful. It's nothing to blame ourselves for tho as its just how are bodies react to food during Pregnancy and it's also hereditary ( my Mam is diabetic ) It won't harm baby don't worry, your blood sugar will be kept as normal as possible.

• Advertisement

Not sure what hospital you attend but in Rotunda, the first thing they do is bring you in for an educational class on diet and exercise. It might be the same for you. No partners were allowed to my class. It will all be fine, try not to worry too much. I blamed myself initialy and got a bit tearful.

I'm in the Coombe and have to go in for a class next week. You're last sentence summed up me yesterday. I cried my eyes out and blamed myself. I'd hate to think something I did put the baby at risk.

Definitely nothing you've done hazelnut, don't be hard on yourself. I know a few people who've had it and it's just bad luck and pretty random selection. My cousin was literally the fittest and healthiest eater I know and had it on two pregnancies and didn't on her last so it seems you're either predisposed to it or you aren't. You'll be absolutely fine and will probably get extra peaks at baby because of it.

My daughter was just the cutest this morning when she saw the snow, she was all wow Mammy it's like "let it go" outside, kept asking for Elsa on the way to her minders :)

House of cards season 4 out of Netflix, ridiculously excited about this. A weekend of tea and couch in my future.

Sorry to hear your having a tough time Hazelnut button. Don't be blaming yourself it's just one of those things. I was reading Pippa O' Connor's blog and she had gestational diabetes on her first pregnancy and I bet her diet was super healthy!

I went to see Adele in the 3 arena on Saturday. She was amazing! I was tired at the end of the evening but at least my husband planned ahead when he booked it and made sure we were in the seating area.

I'm finding clothes a bit of a nightmare at the moment, especially for work. I can still wear some of my own clothes as small for 25 weeks but others are getting too tight now especially trousers. Maternity clothes so far aren't working out apart from a nice pair of jeans from topshop. They are just too baggy and big even in the small sizes. I'm sick of ordering stuff online and sending them back. Would I be better off just buying some normal clothes in bigger sizes?

appledrop wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your having a tough time Hazelnut button. Don't be blaming yourself it's just one of those things. I was reading Pippa O' Connor's blog and she had gestational diabetes on her first pregnancy and I bet her diet was super healthy!

I went to see Adele in the 3 arena on Saturday. She was amazing! I was tired at the end of the evening but at least my husband planned ahead when he booked it and made sure we were in the seating area.

I'm finding clothes a bit of a nightmare at the moment, especially for work. I can still wear some of my own clothes as small for 25 weeks but others are getting too tight now especially trousers. Maternity clothes so far aren't working out apart from a nice pair of jeans from topshop. They are just too baggy and big even in the small sizes. I'm sick of ordering stuff online and sending them back. Would I be better off just buying some normal clothes in bigger sizes?

Lucky you getting to see Adele. I bet it was a fantastic concert. I'd love to see Bruce in May but the date is too close to the end of my pregnancy and I could well have had my baby by then. Even if not it will be too close to D Day to enjoy it I think.

Clothes can be a pain in the bum at times. I only migrated to maternity clothes about 2/3 weeks ago - am now 26/27 weeks. Would a Bella Band help you at all? You wear them along with your own trousers or jeans for the inbetween stages. It allows you to leave the zip or buttons undone but the belt preserves your modesty and awkward situations.
    I'm just baby bump and have no weight on anywhere else which is what it sounds like for you. If I was to buy regular clothes just in a bigger size I'd hate that too- nothing would feel quite right.
    Top Shop do a petite maternity range so maybe investigate there a little more. Amazon also have a good range of petite or small fitting maternity clothes too.

Funny you mention Pippa Appledrop as I would suggest following her blog for inspiration. I have bought a few things off the back of her recommendations which are a mix of maternity and normal clothes. She really has a knack for picking up smart buys. Alot of the normal clothes she wears are cut cleverly, slits up the side etc so I find I can stay my normal size and they allow for bump. I am a similar build and height to Pippa though so maybe that's why her stuff works for me, if you are a bit shorter maybe as Penny suggested check out a petite maternity range.

Downfall of Pippa is she doesn't exactly cater for formal office wear, for work I have a few maternity bits but have found two non maternity bandage black skirts I had pre pregancy have served me very well, the extra stretch allows for bump and fits me as normal on the thighs and legs etc

Weird pregnancy dreams continue.
    Last night I was at the Oscars after party which took place on a boat for some reason. I was there with Cate Blanchette and a few other famous women that I can't remember. My dress was fabulous and although I was still pregnant that dress was so wonderful it made me look not at all pregnant. It was like one of those from the Chanel perfume ads. ;) If only life was that kind eh?:D
    I met Eddie Redmayne while at the party and all he wanted to do was chat to me about his wife and her pregnancy. He was a very nice man in my dream - I actually think he comes across as being quite nice in real life anyway. He also kept giving me frogs legs in garlic butter to eat. They were very nice in my dream. In real life its been donkey's years since I ate them.

Your dreams are very exciting! I'm the complete opposite lately, either I'm not dreaming or completely forgetting them as soon as I was up :)

Funny you mention Pippa Appledrop as I would suggest following her blog for inspiration. I have bought a few things off the back of her recommendations which are a mix of maternity and normal clothes. She really has a knack for picking up smart buys. Alot of the normal clothes she wears are cut cleverly, slits up the side etc so I find I can stay my normal size and they allow for bump. I am a similar build and height to Pippa though so maybe that's why her stuff works for me, if you are a bit shorter maybe as Penny suggested check out a petite maternity range.

Downfall of Pippa is she doesn't exactly cater for formal office wear, for work I have a few maternity bits but have found two non maternity bandage black skirts I had pre pregancy have served me very well, the extra stretch allows for bump and fits me as normal on the thighs and legs etc

On my last pregnancy I found myself hating my formal work clothes. It made no sense, I bought maternity work clothes and I know they were comfortable and all that carry on but I hated them with a passion.
    I feel the same this time too. Luckily I've been quiet enough of late at work and have had next to no meetings and have an office to myself most of the time. As a result I'm here in my jeans (they're dark dark blue so look formal enough) and a navy and white striped jumper which would be passable..........if I hadn't decided to also wear my blue and white spotty runners. :D

Your dreams are very exciting! I'm the complete opposite lately, either I'm not dreaming or completely forgetting them as soon as I was up :)

They are now. At the start of my pregnancy they were horrible and made me really really anxious. Usually I'm a champion sleeper and have no issues at all but on each pregnancy I have had really anxious dreams at the start of the pregnancy and then they just go from the sublime to the ridiculous once I hit about 25 weeks plus.

• Advertisement

On my last pregnancy I found myself hating my formal work clothes. It made no sense, I bought maternity work clothes and I know they were comfortable and all that carry on but I hated them with a passion.
    I feel the same this time too. Luckily I've been quiet enough of late at work and have had next to no meetings and have an office to myself most of the time. As a result I'm here in my jeans (they're dark dark blue so look formal enough) and a navy and white striped jumper which would be passable..........if I hadn't decided to also wear my blue and white spotty runners. :D

I am ridiculously jealous :( I'm just about getting away with not wearing heels in here :D

Very formal in my workplace, full suit and tie for the men and equivalent for the women. We meet clients alot. I can't even picture my boss in jeans at the weekend, swear he sleeps in a suit :D:D

Advertisement