Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Digs wrote: »
    I am ridiculously jealous :( I'm just about getting away with not wearing heels in here :D

Very formal in my workplace, full suit and tie for the men and equivalent for the women. We meet clients alot. I can't even picture my boss in jeans at the weekend, swear he sleeps in a suit :D:D

Or maybe nothing at all:eek:

My boss is a muppet. Total and utter muppet. He was an ass when I told him I was pregnant. Now 2 other women on the team have told him they're pregnant too. :D
    One apologised for taking so long to tell him. She told when she was 12 weeks, I kept it quiet until I was 22 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Or maybe nothing at all:eek:

Now there is an image to bring up my porridge!!

I am very impressed at you getting away with 22 weeks, sounds like it served him right :)

My boss is "grand" I suppose, first mention of anything "womany" (think I made up a new word) and the poor chap goes puce.

Now there is an image to bring up my porridge!!

I am very impressed at you getting away with 22 weeks, sounds like it served him right :)

My boss is "grand" I suppose, first mention of anything "womany" (think I made up a new word) and the poor chap goes puce.

I was going to tell him before Christmas when I was 14/15 weeks but at that meeting he went on a big rant about parental leave and how hard it was for him to deal with it, blah blah blah and I decided to keep it quiet for a bit longer.
    I spent so much time throwing up until I was 18 weeks gone that I wasn't showing at all and had a few weeks off over Christmas too and that allowed me room to keep the pregnancy quiet.
    When I did tell him his reaction was "ah Jesus no" and he put his head in his hands. Then asked if I was going to take any time off after having the baby:rolleyes:

Ah here, what a massive twat! He deserves everything you can throw at him!

Re House of cards, go and watch it, seriously it's amazing. You can thank me later :D

Call the midwife is lovely, definitely worth watching.

Ah here, what a massive twat! He deserves everything you can throw at him!

Re House of cards, go and watch it, seriously it's amazing. You can thank me later :D

Call the midwife is lovely, definitely worth watching.

Better put on my support stockings so other wise I'll get a DVT from sitting on my ass watching TV so much.:D

• Advertisement

Tired tired tired. Went to bed at 10pm and was asleep soon after but feeling so big now and need so many pillows to get comfortable that any time I have to move in my sleep is waking me up.
    My pelvis is aslo feeling sore and tired. So glad I gave up on heels ages ago.

For those of you/us on our second or subsequent pregnancies have you noticed that your body is dealing with pregnancy differently this time around?
    In some ways I'm less engaged with whats happening, I think thats because I'm busier with having a toddler at home anyway, working too and also its less "OMG what the hell is happening to my body" every day.

BUT.............

Some parts of my body seem to be ......more pregnant this time than last. I'm very lucky in that my pelvic floor seems (somehow) to still be pretty much intact. I can sneeze without issue and all that stuff which is good. However, I'm feeling rather....pressurised around the pelvic or pubic region now in a way that I didn't (or don't recall feeling) last time. I read that you can have varicose veins in the labia too and I'm wondering if thats common:eek: I don't think I have that but there is a feeling of fullness or something like that around there. Has that happened to any of you?

I'm having a little swelling in my ankles already, I was 35 weeks last time before that happened, its started at 25 weeks this time. I am wearing the super sexy support stockings to help with that and my hands and face, etc aren't swollen at all.

I get what you're saying penny. Last time round I think the pregnancy itself and counting the weeks and new experiences kept me going whereas this time I just feel wrecked, tired and pulled from pillar to post.

Emotionally I think I'm finding it tougher but I'm not sure if that's a knock on from having a toddler, not getting to sleep when/for how long I want. Also work is a major factor, I'm completely struggling there, mentally and physically. Feel like I'm doing things half assed. And I hate that.

Physically I'm feeling way way more pressure and tightness than I was last time. I mentioned it to the GP on Friday and she said its normal on second pregnancies. RE the varicose vein I had one last time round and honestly, it was awful, really painful but it disappeared after labour. Really hoping I escape that this time!

It's so horrible to say out loud as we struggled for this pregnancy and I am so lucky to be here but I'm dying to get control of my body and mind back again. I think pregnancy just doesn't suit me, some women cope so well and I feel like a whinge but I'm struggling.

Bare in mind I fell asleep at 4am last night and was woken by number 1 at 6.30 so I'm a bit emotional today to say the least!! ;)

I get what you're saying penny. Last time round I think the pregnancy itself and counting the weeks and new experiences kept me going whereas this time I just feel wrecked, tired and pulled from pillar to post.

Emotionally I think I'm finding it tougher but I'm not sure if that's a knock on from having a toddler, not getting to sleep when/for how long I want. Also work is a major factor, I'm completely struggling there, mentally and physically. Feel like I'm doing things half assed. And I hate that.

Physically I'm feeling way way more pressure and tightness than I was last time. I mentioned it to the GP on Friday and she said its normal on second pregnancies. RE the varicose vein I had one last time round and honestly, it was awful, really painful but it disappeared after labour. Really hoping I escape that this time!

It's so horrible to say out loud as we struggled for this pregnancy and I am so lucky to be here but I'm dying to get control of my body and mind back again. I think pregnancy just doesn't suit me, some women cope so well and I feel like a whinge but I'm struggling.

Bare in mind I fell asleep at 4am last night and was woken by number 1 at 6.30 so I'm a bit emotional today to say the least!! ;)

I find things tougher on the emotional as well as physical sense this time around for sure. I think last time I spent so long trying to get pregnant (a year, shorter than many who are TTC but it felt like forever for me) I was almost astonished that we'd managed it. Everything was new and different and its very interesting.
    This time, its still astonishing when I stop to think of it and I love feeling the little one move about, even when he is trying to give Conor McGregor a run for his money, but its more effort than I remember it being before.

It has to be harder, I'm older, have a toddler, work (which is a pain in the ass), a husband who is in a terribly demanding job and it got that way immediately after finishing his MSc and have rheumatoid arthritis for good measure. I'd still give my right arm for the time I had first time around to indulge myself in mid afternoon naps, a little rest when home from work, etc, etc.

I'm not sure that I actually do have a varicose vein but things definitely feel different than before. I had a little look the other day after a shower and well it gave cause for a sharp intake of breath:o:p It doesn't hurt so much as feel tender especially if I've been standing a lot. It all ties in with baby growing bigger, more pressure on the pelvis, etc, etc. Still though I'll mention it to my doctor next week when I see her.
    I've quite the list of things to discuss with her then! Poor woman won't know whats hit her.
    I think because I went early last time and with an auto immune disease you're more likely to deliver early I just want to have at least started the discussion around pain relief options, etc.

There are times I get a little overwhelmed too at any slightly negative feelings I might have about being big and awkward and sore. I find myself thinking about the miscarriage last summer then and how I hated that that happened and so this current feeling will pass and its hardly the baby's fault that I got pregnant with him!

Poor you! Such a bad nights sleep you had. I hate when that happens. I went to bed at 10am, fell asleep almost immediately but did hear my little girl cry out a few times at 2:30am. I wasn't sure if it was just a little dream or the start of a full blown night terror (she has had a few of those of late) and so I found myself awake for about an hour or so waiting to see which it would be. Thankfully she went quiet again and back to sleep until 7:30am when it was time to get her up anyway.

I have a good few days off in the second half of March and I can't wait. I'm still sending her to the minders as I have a few jobs to do and don't want to have to bring her with me for those (car service, IKEA trip for new bab stuff, etc) and also looking forward to having a day or so to myself to do absolutely nothing.
    Any chance you could manage a day like that for yourself? I find it helps mentally so much.

Plenty of what you've said makes sense to me Penny! Just finding things a little tough, its mad, even though I've already given birth and had a baby I still find it absolutely mental to think we'll have another little lady running around the place, another personality, what will she look like? The mind boggles, I think the surreal feeling must last no matter how many children people have :)

I'm off next Thursday and Friday, the following week is good Friday and Easter Monday which I've off too and am so looking forward to it. Going to do a few family things and leave work in work. You're so right, a few mental health days are so necessary every now and then!

The varicose vein was definitely worse when standing, it was like the worst ache I've ever had. Not my finest hour bringing that up at my 38 week apt with my consultant.

Hope the RA is being as kind as it can to you, you definitely have an added "extra" when it comes to tiredness etc I'd say.

Plenty of what you've said makes sense to me Penny! Just finding things a little tough, its mad, even though I've already given birth and had a baby I still find it absolutely mental to think we'll have another little lady running around the place, another personality, what will she look like? The mind boggles, I think the surreal feeling must last no matter how many children people have :)

I'm off next Thursday and Friday, the following week is good Friday and Easter Monday which I've off too and am so looking forward to it. Going to do a few family things and leave work in work. You're so right, a few mental health days are so necessary every now and then!

The varicose vein was definitely worse when standing, it was like the worst ache I've ever had. Not my finest hour bringing that up at my 38 week apt with my consultant.

Hope the RA is being as kind as it can to you, you definitely have an added "extra" when it comes to tiredness etc I'd say.

RA thankfully under control now. I was lucky (pha ha) in that I recognised the signs and symptoms as soon as it started, have a good GP, private health care and got started on the super fancy treatment within a short time frame. People on a public waiting list are waiting at least 2 years for an initial consultation with a consultant.
    I have had to start tapering the dose of drugs and have to come off it totally by the first week in April. I'm worried about that but won't know until I see how it goes.

Enjoy your mental health days!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Penny I had that achey pressure and was pretty sure it was a varicose vein there. It got worse as time went on obviously as baby got heavier and pressure got worse. I couldn't see anything, just feel it! Anyways I can't comment on what would've happened with it if I got to 40weeks and had a natural birth as I had an emcs at just under 37 weeks. But it wasn't a varicose vein I don't think as the ache went as soon as he was born and I've had no problems since. It was just ache from the squishing of everything!

Penny I had that achey pressure and was pretty sure it was a varicose vein there. It got worse as time went on obviously as baby got heavier and pressure got worse. I couldn't see anything, just feel it! Anyways I can't comment on what would've happened with it if I got to 40weeks and had a natural birth as I had an emcs at just under 37 weeks. But it wasn't a varicose vein I don't think as the ache went as soon as he was born and I've had no problems since. It was just ache from the squishing of everything!

:D Pregnancy is just so sexy isn't it:o

I haven't a hint of a varicose vein anywhere else and none in my legs at all so I'm not sure I have them in my lady bits ...........yet.
    I'll say it to the Doc on Tuesday and see what she says. I'm sure it is more a case of baby #2 makes your body give way a bit sooner than #1 will have. Things are as you said "squashier" and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well ladies after traipsing around the shops I finally managed to get some suitable clothes for work! I hit the jackpot with Zara and bought four tops. They are loose fitting and a nice length so I have plenty of room in them for the bump. I also managed to get trousers and another top in Dorothy Perkins. The only maternity wear that I found was a nice dress in Debenhams.

I'm 5ft 5 so not petite but for some reason they seem to think when your pregnant you can only wear dresses half way pass you knees or tops that go half way down you legs. Frump central:rolleyes:

Thanks for your advice I think the way to go is definitely mixing and matching. I love my topshop maternity jeans so I'm going to get another pair in a different colour.

Sorry to hear you having a tough time at the moment Digs and Penny. I have to say I don't know how you both cope with being pregnant and having a toddler aswell. Pregnancy is tough going isn't it? I wonder why people aren't more honest about it. I have been lucky this trimester but my first trimester was a nightmare and I don't think I could ever go through that again. What I found hard was when you would be explaining to people how sick you were and they would be like 'Ah yea I had the morning sickness' and then it would turn out they got sick once in 3 months:rolleyes: Now I'm not saying it's a competition but when your throwing up for months on end and have to go to hospital it's not the same.

It can be a emotionally roller coaster and between it all we have to get on with it all as if we are in perfect health and 'blooming';)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Hi everyone,

My god the tiredness has really taken over me. I'm knackered all the time. My 19 month old has taken to waking at 6am for the past 3 weeks. I thought it was a phase but it doesn't seem to be passing :-( He used to wake around 8am previously ! That's the thing I miss most about my first pregnancy, being able to nap and sleep in till whenever I wanted...

Other than that I'm not too bad actually. Although Sleep isn't great, I'm up to the toilet at least 3 times!!

I'm back to Rotunda at the end of the month. Im actually really looking forward to it. I've been to the GP but she doesn't really do a whole lot In fairness. They will have my full chart this time so I will find out exactly what happened during my last labour and emergency section. I was just so relieved it was all over my son was ok that I did t really ask what had happened !

Friday tomorrow and bank holiday next week. Wahoo :-)

Take care of yourselves girls xx

I swear these kids just know something is up shivers! My girl has always been an early riser but given she's in bed at 7pm I can't complain, however she's been waking on and off during the night lately and it's not like her. She landed in on top of us at 1am and spent the night kicking me and bump and sprawled across her daddy's head. We have a huge king size but I don't know if any bed is big enough for an acrobatic toddler!! She had plenty of hugs and sorrys for her baby sister this morning though, monkey.

Hope all goes great in the rotunda and you get a few answers re your first experience. I'm back in HS on the 22nd. Crazy to think we are almost in the third trimester!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

hey girls hope ye are all doing ok xx not too bad here apart from sciatica which is killing me, im starting reflexology tomorrow to see will it help even just a little bit would be fantastic, come the end of the day im crying with the pain because during the day i dont have time to notice it between work and the 2 girls. hopefully this will help a bit.

had a hospital appointment yesterday baby is growing so well almost too well it is measuring 2weeks ahead and is weighing approx 2lb 4oz already when an average baby for this gestation only weighs approx 1lb 6oz, i have been tested for diabetes and all clear, kinda freaked out a little bit my 1st was 6lb 14oz and she was 10 days late and my 2nd was 7lb 11.5oz 4 days early what will this one be if its growing like this already :)

I swear these kids just know something is up shivers! My girl has always been an early riser but given she's in bed at 7pm I can't complain, however she's been waking on and off during the night lately and it's not like her. She landed in on top of us at 1am and spent the night kicking me and bump and sprawled across her daddy's head. We have a huge king size but I don't know if any bed is big enough for an acrobatic toddler!! She had plenty of hugs and sorrys for her baby sister this morning though, monkey.

Hope all goes great in the rotunda and you get a few answers re your first experience. I'm back in HS on the 22nd. Crazy to think we are almost in the third trimester!!

That's gas isn't it. They definitely now there's something up don't they ! Little rascals :-) Good luck in HS on the 22 nd :-)

Roll on the third trimester ...

hey girls hope ye are all doing ok xx not too bad here apart from sciatica which is killing me, im starting reflexology tomorrow to see will it help even just a little bit would be fantastic, come the end of the day im crying with the pain because during the day i dont have time to notice it between work and the 2 girls. hopefully this will help a bit.

had a hospital appointment yesterday baby is growing so well almost too well it is measuring 2weeks ahead and is weighing approx 2lb 4oz already when an average baby for this gestation only weighs approx 1lb 6oz, i have been tested for diabetes and all clear, kinda freaked out a little bit my 1st was 6lb 14oz and she was 10 days late and my 2nd was 7lb 11.5oz 4 days early what will this one be if its growing like this already :)

Hi Betsie, I was told that on my first pregnancy the while time that baby was measuring big etc. He was 8 lb 12oz which wasn't that big I don't think :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

hopefully baby will slow down growing soon haha im not prepared for a big baby haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

I agree, dunno how you guys are coping with toddlers at home. I always have a lie down when I get in from work. I don't sleep but just chill out for 30mins or so before I muster up the energy to make dinner. I also live for my lie in on a Sunday. Can't imagine not being able to do that. I'd better enjoy it while I can.

28weeks today so officially into the 3rd trimester and onto the final countdown. Yikes can't believe I'm here.

Had my class for gestational diabetes and feel much better after. Barely failed the test, was 0.2 over on my fasting bloods but we'll within the limits when I drank the lucozade. A bit frustrating but looking at the silver lining that being more closely monitored is a good thing. I'll get a few extra glimpses at bubs too which will be nice.

I know there's a good bit of time left but just wondering when should one pack a hospital bag? I've bought nothing in that regards yet.

• Advertisement

I agree, dunno how you guys are coping with toddlers at home. I always have a lie down when I get in from work. I don't sleep but just chill out for 30mins or so before I muster up the energy to make dinner. I also live for my lie in on a Sunday. Can't imagine not being able to do that. I'd better enjoy it while I can.

28weeks today so officially into the 3rd trimester and onto the final countdown. Yikes can't believe I'm here.

Had my class for gestational diabetes and feel much better after. Barely failed the test, was 0.2 over on my fasting bloods but we'll within the limits when I drank the lucozade. A bit frustrating but looking at the silver lining that being more closely monitored is a good thing. I'll get a few extra glimpses at bubs too which will be nice.

I know there's a good bit of time left but just wondering when should one pack a hospital bag? I've bought nothing in that regards yet.

28 weeks! Congratulations. We're all flying along really.
    My family laugh at me for what they called my organised fun approach. I had my hospital bag packed at 31 weeks.
    This was partly because I wanted to get the "must haves" shopping out of the way before I got too big and it got too hard. Also partly because I do like to be organised. As it turned out I went 4 weeks early at 36 weeks so being organised wasn't a bad thing at all.

So I had an antenatal appointment yesterday. Things are still looking well and it was lovely to get another peek at my little boy. He is looking more and more like a "real" baby at each visit.
    Last week I swore I could literally feel him growing and sure enough at the scan yesterday the doctor did say that he was bigger and is now measuring 10 days ahead of my dates.
    Maternity leave forms were stamped and signed too.
    Time is moving along very quickly.

Hope everyone else is well?

I was in yesterday too. Was my first appointment in diabetic clinic. I was in the hospital for 5 hours and felt like a pin cushion afterwards they took so many bloods. Seen midwife and doc. Quick scan of baba who is currently head down and measured spot on.

I was in yesterday too. Was my first appointment in diabetic clinic. I was in the hospital for 5 hours and felt like a pin cushion afterwards they took so many bloods. Seen midwife and doc. Quick scan of baba who is currently head down and measured spot on.

5 hours is a long time! I have to get a full blood count done next time- just routine but I'm glad it will be just the flying phlebotomy visit.
    It's always lovely to see the little ones again isn't it? Great to know that they're measuring as they should too. My little one is feet down and head stuck into my stomach or diaphragm. It's like he is standing up inside me. Makes is awkward when I forget to bend from my knees and try to bend from the waist. I pay for that afterwards.
    Hoping he turns, loads of time for that to happen I know. On your second and subsequent pregnancies sometimes they don't turn for exit until the day of or day before delivery. Funny compared to the first borns that turn a week or so before hand isn't it?

Hope everyone had a nice day today, we went to Howth for fish and chips, was a lovely day!

I'm doing pretty good, no major complaints! Except I am ridiculously breathless lately, much more so than my first pregnancy. I feel my bump is up quite high so if she could oblige and drop a wee bit I'd be very grateful. I feel like a 90yr old walking up the stairs and my husband likens my breathing to a dirty phone caller when lying down.... charming :P

28 weeks on Tuesday so roll on the 3rd trimester. Have a hospital appointment too so looking forward to having a peak at my little girl again!

Hope everyone else is well!

Hazelnut hope you're managing ok with GD. At least you've been to the education class and to the diabetic clinic now so you're probably feeling a bit more on top of it. I have my GTT in 2 weeks so I'm hoping I might escape it this time round !? Hospital bag wise I'm thinking of having it ready for around 32 weeks. I love getting it ready and putting babies clothes in it :-)

Penny I'm glad your hospital appointment went well :-) How big was your first baby ?

Myself, OH and little one went to the zoo today... Had a fantastic time, really enjoyed it :-)

shivers27 wrote: »
    Hazelnut hope you're managing ok with GD. At least you've been to the education class and to the diabetic clinic now so you're probably feeling a bit more on top of it. I have my GTT in 2 weeks so I'm hoping I might escape it this time round !? Hospital bag wise I'm thinking of having it ready for around 32 weeks. I love getting it ready and putting babies clothes in it :-)

Penny I'm glad your hospital appointment went well :-) How big was your first baby ?

Myself, OH and little one went to the zoo today... Had a fantastic time, really enjoyed it :-)

Yesterday would have been a lovely day for the zoo, bright and sunny. We went to Marley Park for a walk after meeting a friend for lunch at it was very nice.
    My little girl was 7lbs 2 oz which for someone who was 4 weeks early was just fine. I'm not really sure she was in fact early as much as I possibly ovulated earlier in my cycle than expected. I think the same thing may have happened this time around too. I was using OPKs and the reading for the cycle I concieved on was weird. Turns out the supposed ovulation reading was actually a positive pregnancy reading.
    If that's thr case then I was pregnant for a week or two before I realised it. My pregnancy test had a strong clear positive too about 2 days before my period was even due. Now the growth of the baby would tie in with that too.
    I guess only time will tell

shivers27 wrote: »

Hey shivers, Yep feeling a lot better about it now. Diet is actually fine. If anything I'm eating more than before and just eating healthier. My glucose levels are fine when I eat it's just my fasting levels that are slightly raised

Hey, how's everyone doing?

Had a growth scan today. Babs is estimated to be 3lb 2oz at the min. Couldn't believe the difference since 20week scan. Breech position today which was a first. Has been head down up until now. Plenty of time to turn again.

Heading away with the OH for 2 days. Really looking forward to the downtime as it'll probably be our last chance to spend proper quality time together before babs is here. Just hoping I can manage the GD diet ok while away. Trying to fit in all the snacks is harder than you think.

On the whole the GD hasn't been as bad as I anticipated. My sugars are fine when I eat it's just my overnight numbers. Fasting numbers are the bain of my existence at the min. Cannot get them under 5. Trying lots of different bedtime snacks, walks before bed etc but nothing working yet. If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them.

• Advertisement

Had 28 week appointment this morning. All seems fine, baby breech which I suspected from the movements as they are the same as her sisters. Headbutts in the ribs are fun :)

Asked for them to do the GD challenge test as my daughter was on the large side so will see how that goes, results tomorrow.

Only 5 weeks left in work after this one, it really is just flying by. Dying to put the feet up.

Also for any RH neg mammies bit of interesting info. The midwife said I'm part of a blind study being carried out in Holles Street at the moment, RH neg women who are on their second pregnancy and where their first child was born RH neg had an extra blood draw at their booking in appt. They test the blood from this and can ascertain the babies blood type, as its part of a study at the moment they will confirm babies blood type at birth with their findings from the booking in bloods. Going forward the idea is they will know the babies blood type at booking in and if the baby is RH neg naturally the mother won't need the anti D during the pregnancy instead of being given it as a matter of proceedure.

Advertisement